DB0FKhSU0AAu0pT.jpg:large

vinesh pratap @vineshpratap 28 minutes ago
UPDATE: city says new Walterdale will open to traffic this SEPTEMBER. @GlobalEdmonton #yeg pic.twitter.com/l6uxCi9qUL

DB0FpLHUQAAAbrm.jpg:large

vinesh pratap @vineshpratap 27 minutes ago
The City says #Walterdale is on budget. Contractor is paying penalties for being delayed. #yeg @GlobalEdmonton pic.twitter.com/HeSFM61T7m

DB0JpRxUMAA-5P5.jpg:large

vinesh pratap‏ @vineshpratap 9 minutes ago
The new shares use path for the Walterdale. #yeg @GlobalEdmonton pic.twitter.com/H93RM5HhJl

DB0LFGzUMAE9uP-.jpg:large

vinesh pratap @vineshpratap 3 minutes ago
The shared use path will be paved on one side, wood panel on the other. #yeg @GlobalEdmonton pic.twitter.com/lo3oWDs9cM

DB0LzCYVoAA1pgL.jpg:large

vinesh pratap‏ @vineshpratap 2 minutes ago
"This is the most complicated bridge we have ever constructed in edmonton" says city. #yeg @GlobalEdmonton pic.twitter.com/Xqvf1pDLSH

DB0MwGYUIAENAKO.jpg:large

vinesh pratap @vineshpratap 25 seconds ago
Underneath the new #walterdale. #yeg @GlobalEdmonton pic.twitter.com/fpWcww0OJd

DB0NhFwV0AINvVB.jpg:large

vinesh pratap‏ @vineshpratap 20 minutes ago
One of the base supports of the Walterdale. #yeg @GlobalEdmonton pic.twitter.com/oufVDZ4ViM

DB0RTCpUAAAUI8W.jpg:large

vinesh pratap‏ @vineshpratap 5 minutes ago
Walterdale. On the bridge deck. #yeg @GlobalEdmonton pic.twitter.com/GkB5jEdiyG

Last edited:
Well this will be exciting to have completed.

I will try to look past its shortcomings and enjoy the new bridge for our city!

City hopeful Walterdale Bridge will open to traffic in September
The City of Edmonton says it has a commitment from the contractor building the new Walterdale Bridge that it will be open to traffic in September.

It would mean the $155-million project would be finished nearly two years late. But the city is still not making any guarantees.

"Given the performance in terms of the ability to meet schedule, I'm wary about giving a specific date," said Adam Laughlin, the deputy city manager of integrated infrastructure services.

Speaking on a media tour of the new bridge Thursday, Laughlin admitted the city had not set realistic expectations for the completion date, which was originally supposed to be November 2015.

"We were overly zealous in what we thought could be done and that was something the contractor committed to. So from our perspective, the contractor committed to a date," Laughlin said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/walterdale-bridge-open-edmonton-1.4152526

New Walterdale Bridge will open in September after long delay
On Thursday, city officials said part of the work on the project will be done on the shared-use paths, some of which may be completed a few months after the bridge is open to traffic.

“From a pedestrian perspective, the west sidewalk will be open when it’s open to traffic,” Laughlin said. “That, coupled with the existing Walterdale Bridge, provides access for active modes.”

The city said the Walterdale is the most complicated bridge it has ever constructed in Edmonton.

“Since the inception of this project, both council and administration had envisioned a signature bridge, something that can take advantage of the setting in the river valley,” Laughlin said. “The image, or the postcard, that can be created by this signature bridge is something that’s going to be able to stand the test of time in Edmonton, not only from a distance… but standing on it.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/3512080/walterdale-bridge-opening-getting-close-after-long-delay/

City predicts long-overdue Walterdale Bridge will open in September

From the Global video, sounds like the rivet plates are there to stay, unforutnately. Sucks, but honestly I don't think most people will really notice them when the whole thing is painted.

Sadly I am not most people... lol

But the ones that are painted so far are still very visible.

It would look "cleaner" still if we demolished the Kinsmen Field House, the high level bridge, the Rossdale power plant and several other nearby buildings. Personally, I prefer the old bridge over the new one. Maybe we should take 1,000,000 pictures of the new bridge until we get over it. The old bridge is aching to be repurposed.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't they look into re-purposing it, but the cost of rehabbing it alone was a ridiculous price?

And comparing to buildings in the vicinity is a little ridiculous lol.

But that is just me.

PS I love the old power plant.

Back