What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I see so many people on site daily for years now, but this thing just progresses so slowly. I wonder if it is due to the complication of the design or due to having a lower worker count than optimal?

Will be so nice to eventually have this built, but is there any chance this will happen before late 2025?

20240223_163208.jpg
20240223_163215.jpg

20240223_163402.jpg

20240223_163405.jpg

I hope my grandkids appreciate this one because I’m afraid I’ll never see this completed in my lifetime (I’m 27)

I hope you have a long life, so hopefully you will get to see it, but yes it is sure going slow!
Scrolled back because I thought this one was taking a good while: this summer marks five years since they broke ground.

I know this one has been going forever, but since it picked up over the summer it seems like it's been full-speed ahead, no? My understanding is that the pandemic, inflation, and district energy plan caused major delays and redesigns but finally now I get the sense it's proceeding without delay (this feeling is based on vibes, not inside information).

The consultants were here from Europe the very week things shut down in 2019 and had to be rushed back before the airports shut down. Things slowed down significantly over the pandemic. There has been some cost-cutting and the associated extra timelines to redesign things.

Hitting all the right notes at the Winspear Centre | En parfaite harmonie au Winspear Centre​

March 12, 2024 Media inquiries

If passed, Budget 2024 would support culture in Edmonton’s downtown core by committing $12.8 million over three years to Phase 3 of the Winspear Centre expansion project.

Alberta has a thriving arts and culture scene that significantly contributes to our province’s economy and helps create vibrant communities. The Winspear Centre in downtown Edmonton is a hub where arts and culture come to life for thousands of residents.

If Budget 2024 is passed, Alberta’s government would commit $12.8 million over three years, starting next year, to support the third phase of the Winspear Centre’s renovation and expansion project. Phase 3 completes the 550-seat acoustic performance venue and adds community gathering spaces, music studios and classrooms.
“Winspear Centre is a treasured arts and culture hub that provides Albertans and visitors with world-class arts experiences while fostering a sense of community. By supporting this transformational project, Alberta’s government is building a more vibrant arts scene in Edmonton, creating jobs and increasing access to arts for Albertans from every walk of life.”
Tanya Fir, Minister of Arts, Culture and Status of Women
Supporting cultural infrastructure like the Winspear Centre ensures the province has the facilities needed to continue to celebrate and promote Alberta’s unique arts, culture and heritage. Supporting the Winspear’s project will enable the centre to have more space for educational, cultural and artistic programming, performances, meetings and conferences for youth and the broader public.
“We are moving closer to completing our dream of building a centre where everyone can gather downtown to share, learn and enjoy music. Music is at the heart of how we, as humans, express ourselves. The new Winspear will be a place where anyone can come to ignite their creative spirit, and the province’s added contribution will truly make a difference.”
Annemarie Petrov, president and chief executive officer, Francis Winspear Centre for Music
“We founded 5 Artists 1 Love 18 years ago to represent Black musicians and artists in Edmonton’s arts scene and take up space by performing in places where we felt we didn’t belong. For a world-renowned venue like the Winspear to build a centre that opens doors for all communities and all cultures is so important, because creating an inclusive space begins with representation.”
Darren Jordan, founder of 5 Artists 1 Love
Budget 2024 is a responsible plan to strengthen health care and education, build safe and supportive communities, manage the province’s resources wisely and promote job creation to continue to build Alberta’s competitive advantage.

Quick facts​

• The Francis Winspear Centre for Music is the home of the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra and the Tommy Banks Centre for Musical Creativity; it also hosts a wide array of concerts, community events and educational programming.
  • The Winspear enhancement is anticipated to create more than 240 construction jobs and 113 post-construction jobs.
  • Once completed, it will bring more tourists to the region, providing an estimated incremental impact of $4.5 million in the first year.

Related information​

View attachment 547592

I wonder if this GOA funding will close their gap and allow them to follow that opening timeline...

Back