News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

This is consistent with other recent information. I am still surprised that Winnipeg and Regina have not benefited yet from taking advantage of affordability.

At this point it is really just Alberta and Nova Scotia. One could look at this and say all but 10 people leaving Toronto have moved here!

This is consistent with other recent information. I am still surprised that Winnipeg and Regina have not benefited yet from taking advantage of affordability.

At this point it is really just Alberta and Nova Scotia. One could look at this and say all but 10 people leaving Toronto have moved here!
Winnipeg is also growing a lot. Not sure why you don’t think people aren’t taking advantage. And once Edmonton becomes unaffordable like Calgary, it’ll be the new hot market.

And once Edmonton becomes unaffordable like Calgary, it’ll be the new hot market.
I do believe Edmonton is well positioned to take advantage of affordability for longer than Calgary has.
Our supply (especially rentals and SFH) is higher, and the new zoning bylaw and other recent changes have made it cheaper, faster and easier to build here.
But yes, Winnipeg is the next natural hot market down the list. It'll actually be good to see Canada have another city hit 1M soon(ish). I will also not be surprised to see Quebec City follow suit, and I believe that Halifax will approach this mark (in a not so near future)

I do believe Edmonton is well positioned to take advantage of affordability for longer than Calgary has.
Our supply (especially rentals and SFH) is higher, and the new zoning bylaw and other recent changes have made it cheaper, faster and easier to build here.
But yes, Winnipeg is the next natural hot market down the list. It'll actually be good to see Canada have another city hit 1M soon(ish). I will also not be surprised to see Quebec City follow suit, and I believe that Halifax will approach this mark (in a not so near future)

I don’t think Quebec City will experience the population surge that the other cheaper cities in Canada have had. Unlike Montreal, it’s a 95% unilingual French city, so unless somebody is 100% WFH, most people will have difficulties finding employment in the local job market.

It’ll reach 1 million, but it’ll take awhile.

Winnipeg is also growing a lot. Not sure why you don’t think people aren’t taking advantage. And once Edmonton becomes unaffordable like Calgary, it’ll be the new hot market.
Because the chart posted shows an outflow of 7,463 people from Winnipeg. Of course, that could change in the future, but unaffordability is always relative.

For instance, some people might consider Victoria not to be affordable, but compared to nearby Vancouver it is more affordable. Likewise for Ottawa vs. Toronto.

I’m thinking Quebec City could attract immigrants from French-speaking nations. Also, I think places like Kitchener-Waterloo, Saskatoon and Kelowna could be popular places for Canadian migrants and immigrants.

I’m thinking Quebec City could attract immigrants from French-speaking nations. Also, I think places like Kitchener-Waterloo, Saskatoon and Kelowna could be popular places for Canadian migrants and immigrants.
K-W and Kelowna are already quite pricey.

I don’t think Quebec City will experience the population surge that the other cheaper cities in Canada have had. Unlike Montreal, it’s a 95% unilingual French city, so unless somebody is 100% WFH, most people will have difficulties finding employment in the local job market.

It’ll reach 1 million, but it’ll take awhile.
Quebec City often grows either slightly faster or slightly slower than Winnipeg. People forget there is a huge French-speaking diaspora because it looks different from those drawn more to the Anglosphere. The immigrant makeup in Quebec is a bit different than Anglo Canada due to this. Quebec City being more Francophone means that it can attract immigrants from different areas in Africa, the Caribbean, and Europe without competing with Toronto or Vancouver. Even in more Anglo-friendly Montreal, a lot of the immigrants are from the Francophonie. The only major thing stacked against QC growth is that it (along with the rest of Quebec outside of the Island of Montreal and Gatineau) doesn't attract much interprovincial migration. So it isn't going to take on exiled folks from Mississauga or Coquitlam.

Quebec City is a major city for the eastern half of the province, a government centre with a fairly stable economy and is the largest city in Canada east of Montreal, so it would also attract a lot of people from the area around it,d to the east and people looking to live in a place not as big as Montreal. Of course, not so much inter-provincial migration, unless you speak French fairly well.

Alberta has just surpassed 4.9 million.
IMG_4670.png

I think they adjusted the model based on the release of Q2 2024 population estimates (as of April 1, 2024) that came out yesterday. Alberta was still really strong (fastest growing) but maybe a little less than they had built in?
I should’ve included an emoji I’m well aware of what happened.

Back