News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I had a sense we were growing at a slower rate than Calgary but that is a pretty big gap in growth rate. Also a bit shocked to see how far behind Ottawa we are. Fun to see the numbers but always leaves you wanting knowing it's almost been a year since this measurement was accurate.
If I'm not mistaken, Ottawa-Gatineau incorporated a new community for the 2021 census that, at the time, increased it's population by ~70k (if we make it proportional, it would be around ~80k in this measurement, which is why they are so far ahead)

Richler's criticism in 1985 was harsh, but probably fair back then. Of course, he has been dead for over two decades now and our downtown has changed a lot since then.

We may have further to go, but I feel it has improved a lot. By the way, and back to the topic, Edmonton's metro population back then was around 750,000, so has almost doubled since.

So maybe it is time to put Richler's criticism in the history section and quit trotting him out as a critic of the current situation.
Mordecai Richler’s views were hardly fair. He often expressed antisemitic views, racist views and anti french views.

Further, Edmonton in 85 would of been at one of its lowest points economicly.

His comments when you look at Edmonton’s rich French, Indigenous, jewish and immigrant history, were extremely biased.

I feel the criticism at the time was fair, but the critic was not. I also suspect their was some envy there, from someone seeing the city he lived in stagnate and decline economically while newer places were on the rise, mixed in with an overly smug sense of superiority which was also mixed in with being anti a lot of things. He was well on his way to becoming a curmudgeon

Surprised by Saskatoon, Winnipeg and Regina’s numbers. People largely only wanting to move to Alberta for affordability?

Surprised by Saskatoon, Winnipeg and Regina’s numbers. People largely only wanting to move to Alberta for affordability?
I am a bit surprised in particular by the Winnipeg numbers because it is an affordable good sized city, but Alberta still has both higher wages and lower taxes than the two provinces to its east.

As well Alberta as two cities well over a million, so it might be less of a stretch for someone moving from the GTA or GVA still wanting to live in a fairly big city, just one that is more affordable.

remember this is just interprovincial migration. It doesnt include immigration directly to the various cities from outside the country.

remember this is just interprovincial migration. It doesnt include immigration directly to the various cities from outside the country.
That's exactly the confusion though--for awhile there's been lots of talk about those living in Canada being displaced from HCOL areas into LCOL ones, like Winnipeg, Saskatoon, etc but seems like they're really only going to Calgary and Edmonton.

A lot of interesting parallels between Denver/Colorado and Edmonton/Calgary/Alberta. Sounds like Denver is a little further along the curve with population growth now starting to slow.

• Folks coming from higher cost of living areas on both coasts
  • Losing the housing cost advantages as prices go up
  • Difficulty keeping up with housing needs
  • Lots of land to build on but trying to manage growth somewhat responsibly
  • Looking to improve transit and regional transportation options

While Calgary was the winner more recently, I wonder if Edmonton could be picking up steam.

"Edmonton was the top choice for current residents of the Greater Toronto and Vancouver areas thinking about a move. Alberta’s capital city was the most attractive and affordable destination for 19 per cent of respondents from these markets in the poll."

Back