News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

^yup. Sadly, there continues to be a lack of appreciation for skilled trades and that has led to many either not considering it as a career or leaving the industry.

What is the trades industry saying are the biggest issues in terms of lack of appreciation?

What is the trades industry saying are the biggest issues in terms of lack of appreciation?
I think that there's a connotation (particularly among young people) of trades not being "prestigious" in the way that white-collar work is, as well as a percieved lack of career advancement.

Per CBC,
"He said these "underappreciated" careers are not just critical to our economy — they impact us as individual consumers, too. A CFIB report found that small Canadian firms lost $38 billion in business opportunities due to labour shortages in 2022, with the construction sector bearing the largest portion."

"The shortage of skilled tradespeople has been developing for years. About 700,000 of the four million Canadians who work in the trades are set to retire by the end of the decade, according to Employment and Social Development Canada."

I think that there's a connotation (particularly among young people) of trades not being "prestigious" in the way that white-collar work is, as well as a percieved lack of career advancement.
I don't think its just the "prestigiousness", I think its also the job security and flexibility. Trades are a great way to make good money fast when you are young, but if your body fails early or you get older then trades are often really hard to pivot from. And if you get injured at any point (very possible) then you are often SOL. I work in social services and the number of former trades people who used to make 6 figures who come into my office living on welfare is alarming. Our social safety net really fails trades people.

In addition, the requirements to get into trade school have increased. There are tons of newcomer kids who want to get into trades, but the industry and the schooling is not accessible to them. I once sat in a presentation from "Careers: The Next Generation", who do alot of the Registered Apprentice Program in high schools, where they bragged about only accepting kids with good grades, impeccable attendance, and perfect English. If you are smart enough to get into trade school then you are smart enough to go to Uni, why would you pick trades?

I don't think its just the "prestigiousness", I think its also the job security and flexibility. Trades are a great way to make good money fast when you are young, but if your body fails early or you get older then trades are often really hard to pivot from. And if you get injured at any point (very possible) then you are often SOL. I work in social services and the number of former trades people who used to make 6 figures who come into my office living on welfare is alarming. Our social safety net really fails trades people.

In addition, the requirements to get into trade school have increased. There are tons of newcomer kids who want to get into trades, but the industry and the schooling is not accessible to them. I once sat in a presentation from "Careers: The Next Generation", who do alot of the Registered Apprentice Program in high schools, where they bragged about only accepting kids with good grades, impeccable attendance, and perfect English. If you are smart enough to get into trade school then you are smart enough to go to Uni, why would you pick trades?
Yes, also I know someone older working in the trades who wants to continue to work but had quite a bit of trouble finding work despite all the talk about labour shortages.

I think there was some age discrimination there. At a certain age it no longer works as well. Fortunately he was able to pivot and use his skills for teaching/training and get a decent maybe better position.

Yes, also I know someone older working in the trades who wants to continue to work but had quite a bit of trouble finding work despite all the talk about labour shortages.

I think there was some age discrimination there. At a certain age it no longer works as well. Fortunately he was able to pivot and use his skills for teaching/training and get a decent maybe better position.

This seems like more of an underappreciation or mistreatment from the industry itself, not the general public.

Yes, there's a shortage of workers but I'm not really getting what this underappreciation is or who specifically from. The developers who contract them? Government that funds the programs/training?

My dad worked as a union ironworker for many years. One of the hardest parts of the job was when there wasn't work due to changes in economy mostly. He would have to take other types of work until opportunities opened up again. Or sometimes he had to take ironwork up north for long stretches of time and so I lost my favorite tennis partner. When he was older, the union provided some good roles for him that were less physically demanding.

This seems like more of an underappreciation or mistreatment from the industry itself, not the general public.

Yes, there's a shortage of workers but I'm not really getting what this underappreciation is or who specifically from. The developers who contract them? Government that funds the programs/training?

My dad worked as a union ironworker for many years. One of the hardest parts of the job was when there wasn't work due to changes in economy mostly. He would have to take other types of work until opportunities opened up again. Or sometimes he had to take ironwork up north for long stretches of time and so I lost my favorite tennis partner. When he was older, the union provided some good roles for him that were less physically demanding.
He was previously working for a private company. It was a construction company, not a developer. It was not a unionized position and has nothing to do with government.

Perhaps my point is to be skeptical when people are whining on and on about skills shortage. That may just mean they can't find an idea candidate such as 25 - 45 male with experience.

Sometimes employers are limited by their own prejudices or limited thinking.

^yup. Sadly, there continues to be a lack of appreciation for skilled trades and that has led to many either not considering it as a career or leaving the industry.
Could also be argued that the work cultures, pay, etc aren’t attracting/keeping workers.

Most of my buddies that did construction have left cause their bosses were all jerks and losers. Or unorganized and bad leaders.

Could also be argued that the work cultures, pay, etc aren’t attracting/keeping workers.

Most of my buddies that did construction have left cause their bosses were all jerks and losers. Or unorganized and bad leaders.
I've heard of this being a problem in EPS/RCMP as well. A culture of incompetence doesn't retain talented employees, which in turn perpetuates the culture of incompetence. So bad cops stay, which makes good cops look elsewhere.

He was previously working for a private company. It was a construction company, not a developer. It was not a unionized position and has nothing to do with government.

Perhaps my point is to be skeptical when people are whining on and on about skills shortage. That may just mean they can't find an idea candidate such as 25 - 45 male with experience.

Sometimes employers are limited by their own prejudices or limited thinking.
Or maybe people aren't "whining on and on" and aren't "limited by their own prejudices" and there simply is a shortage of skilled trades workers - https://www.cicnews.com/2024/08/alb...s-in-trade-occupations-0845675.html#gs.f85krx

Back