News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

And just to give some ideas - Longwood Gardens just outside of Philadelphia just done a revitalization:

http://www.architecturalrecord.com/...-renovation-by-beyer-blinder-belle-and-west-8
http://newheights.longwoodgardens.org/#/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...622124-4188-11e7-b29f-f40ffced2ddb_video.html

This is what will really draw people in, not another dinky pathway.

AoD
Wow. That's unreal. Philadelphia seems to be roaring back to life these days.

It's $20.25 to get into the Montreal Botanical Gardens and Insectarium.

And just to give some ideas - Longwood Gardens just outside of Philadelphia just done a revitalization:

http://www.architecturalrecord.com/...-renovation-by-beyer-blinder-belle-and-west-8
http://newheights.longwoodgardens.org/#/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...622124-4188-11e7-b29f-f40ffced2ddb_video.html

This is what will really draw people in, not another dinky pathway.

AoD
Now that's impressive! I didn't realize Philadelphia was that ambitious.

In a report to the next Infrastructure and Environment Committee mtg, on January 11th, 2020, it is recommended to extend the management agreement for Edwards Gardens with TBG, for a further 20 years, from 2024-2044 with an optional 10 year extension.

Report here:

Of note from the report is that this is in service of attracting large-scale donations towards implementing the Masterplan for this park.

From the report:

To secure donor confidence in its fundraising plan to facilitate significant gifts, TBG has requested that the current Management Agreement be extended for an additional twenty years starting in 2024, with an option to renew for an additional ten years after that. Section 3 of the 2004 Management Agreement requires City Council approval in order to extend the term.

The Master Plan and Management Plan calls for TBG to undertake a major campaign to fund an estimated $50 million in capital improvements over multiple years to help fund the vision

TBG has struck an Expansion Committee comprised of experienced fundraisers and construction experts, and is in the process of hiring an architectural design consultant. The City has also collaborated with TBG on the design of a new works yard at Edwards Gardens by Parks, Forestry and Recreation Capital Projects. This will allow the decommissioning of the existing yard and the expansion of TBG's management responsibilities into that space, to improve the visitor experience with new amenities. Simultaneously, the City and TBG are completing work on a Fundraising Agreement and Construction Agreement. Construction of Master Plan projects (other than the new yard) will be contingent on the ability of the Toronto Botanical Garden to raise the funds.

Toronto Botanical Garden has advised that various significant donations are imminent.

Apparently there has been much upheaval at TBG.

This article from the Globe and Mail: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...anical-garden-is-pitting-greenthumbs-against/

Reports that more than 1/2 the Board has resigned; and the CEO is exiting amid an insurrection led by volunteers.

The gardeners are apparently upset over a number of things ranging from bloated CEO compensation, to layoffs, to neglect of gardens.

They say this was result of misdirection from the top which has prioritized money and process over people and gardens!

The insurrectionists, it seems, have won............with change incoming.

Last edited:
I thought the writing style in the article was overwrought. That said, I was surprised by all the intrigue behind the scenes, and (as usual) disappointed by the stinginess of Council.

Frankly, I’m not holding my breath. The Garden needs multiple rich donors in this city, and a serious upgrade.

Last edited:
Missed this presser from April...............TBG has awarded the design contract for its expansion..........to PMA!

Design through fall, with construction in 2022, subject to City/TRCA approvals.

The release makes it sound like lead funding has been acquired. I'm assuming, if that is the case, that they are waiting on being able to hold an in-person press conference to announce that.

Missed this presser from April...............TBG has awarded the design contract for its expansion..........to PMA!

Design through fall, with construction in 2022, subject to City/TRCA approvals.

The release makes it sound like lead funding has been acquired. I'm assuming, if that is the case, that they are waiting on being able to hold an in-person press conference to announce that.
Very good for PMA! (Looking forward to Grand Manitoba Park, also their work, much closer to where I live), but this is a far bigger deal and I am eager to see their plans for the expansion here. Hoping I'm around long enough that I might even see this looking 'mature' in 40 years' time!

Very good for PMA! (Looking forward to Grand Manitoba Park, also their work, much closer to where I live), but this is a far bigger deal and I am eager to see their plans for the expansion here.

As am I. I don't know how much of the Master Plan they are hoping to deliver off the bat; but aside from additional gardens, and restoration work in the valley, we should see a showy bridge connecting valley top to valley top; as well as a significant greenhouse, among other items.

Hoping I'm around long enough that I might even see this looking 'mature' in 40 years' time!

By then you'll be approaching middle age, no reason to imagine you wouldn't be!

Funding for capital improvements at Edwards Gardens/TBG is in the Capital Budget.

Not mind-blowing sums, mind you, I wonder where that large donation went??

6.5M over 3 years, starting this year:

1642172616377.png

Funding for capital improvements at Edwards Gardens/TBG is in the Capital Budget.

Not mind-blowing sums, mind you, I wonder where that large donation went??

6.5M over 3 years, starting this year:

View attachment 374752

I wonder if the internal squabbles reported earlier killed it.

Anyways, looking at this, and looking at say Longwoods near Philadelphia makes you weep.

AoD

Last edited:
I wonder if the internal squabbles reported earlier killed it.

Anyways, looking at this, and looking at say Longwoods near Philadelphia makes you weep.

AoD
Longwood Gardens is amazing. And, having been to a couple of others (Brooklyn Botanical, New York Botanical…) makes you realize just how much work has to be done in Toronto.

Update from the pages of TBG's magazine Trellis.

Key bits:

- Preliminary Design is basically done and goes to the TBG Board for approval this spring.

Architects: Gow-Hastings
Landscape Architects: PMA
Garden Designers: Phyto

- Concept should be public later this spring

- Further engagements, construction drawings and approvals to the end of 2023.

- Not specified, but I assume that means implementation in 2024.

I do believe there are some interim works, but that's not clear from the article.

Also of note, after all the past controversy, the TBG has a new Executive Director, Stephanie Jutila.

She's American, her previous position was leading the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden.

Slide deck is up for the preliminary design:

From the above:

1653227290295.png

1653227332961.png

1653227375976.png

1653227429211.png

1653227480069.png

1653227520509.png

There's a good deal more detail in the Zoom Presentation found here:

There is also a survey here:

It would be helpful to watch the presentation before filling out the survey.

Back