News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
A tunnel is the only real option for the central portion, but a shallow trench (not elevated) makes the most sense for the rest of the line, both in Etobicoke and in Scarborough, where Eglinton is lined mostly by metres of parking lots and grass. If the city is convinced that Eglinton will be Avenueized, anyway, this means redevelopment along Eglinton, which means many opportunities to deck over the trenched portions at low or no cost to governments.
A very good point here. I'm not so sure about in Scarborough, but Etobicoke would definitely see this.

What helps in Etobicoke is that the necessary ROW already exists, grandfathered in through the abortive Richview Expressway proposal.

Though OTOH, I *can* see potential NIMBYs in adjoining affluent neighbourhoods ranting away...

Actually, talking about the Richview Expressway, was there any plan of having the subway along the Expressway? (similar to Allen Road)

A tunnel is the only real option for the central portion, but a shallow trench (not elevated) makes the most sense for the rest of the line, both in Etobicoke and in Scarborough, where Eglinton is lined mostly by metres of parking lots and grass. If the city is convinced that Eglinton will be Avenueized, anyway, this means redevelopment along Eglinton, which means many opportunities to deck over the trenched portions at low or no cost to governments.

40-50% of the Eglinton line is not planned as avenues.. actually several KM of the tunneled part isn`t designated as avenues either. I guess it`s better than Don Mills where the only Avenues are at points where it meets the Subway (except for a short section near Pape), or Sheppard, Scarborough RT, Finch West, and Jane where the majority of the line is not ``Avenue``

Most of the actual Avenues like Queen, Dufferin, Lawrence, Sheppard West, Wilson, Weston, Keele etc won`t be getting any new transit lines (at least in Transit City) ..

Last edited:
40-50% of the Eglinton line is not planned as avenues.. actually several KM of the tunneled part isn`t designated as avenues either. I guess it`s better than Don Mills where the only Avenues are at points where it meets the Subway (except for a short section near Pape), or Sheppard, Scarborough RT, Finch West, and Jane where the majority of the line is not ``Avenue``

Most of the actual Avenues like Queen, Dufferin, Lawrence, Sheppard West, Wilson, Weston, Keele etc won`t be getting any new transit lines (at least in Transit City) ..

Oh, I know all that as well as anyone, but don't worry, they'll be rewriting the official plan to rezone Eglinton.

This is not NIMBYism. I think the vast majority of the city's residents would be against it.

The pictures of that Richmond line are absolutely hideous. I don't live in the area, yet I absolutely agree. Don't even consider building such an abomination along Eglinton.

LOL! You cannot base your entire opinion of semiexclusive or 100% exclusive right-of-way for LRT operation on a few pics of an elevated guideway under construction. The options for Transit City are literally infinite, we need only blame the ineptitude of our current planning department/city council for what we're slated to receive here in Toronto. If you're going to place your faith in photographic evidence alone, at least entertain what could happen based on what other cities are doing from Los Angeles to Portland, Oregon to Paris, France:

Dedicated ROW off to one side of the roadway
untitled2.jpg

untitled6.jpg

Dedicated ROW down the median of the roadway
untitled-1.jpg

untitled1.jpg

Private ROW through parkland
untitled5.jpg

untitled4.jpg

Above-grade ROW
untitled8.jpg

untitledH.jpg

Below-grade open-trenched ROW
untitledG.jpg

untitledF.jpg

Below-grade enclosed ROW
untitledB.jpg

untitled.jpg

Any one line can be divided into segments that incorporate some or all of these methods. So for instance, the Eglinton-Crosstown Line could begin elevated at both ends (in order to access Terminal 3's main entrance and Kennedy SRT platform level which are both above-grade) then gradually transition down into median or curbside operation before ultimately burrowing underground through the Keele-Brentcliffe tunnel.

Ideally, this is what a typical corridor with Transit City could look like post-construction.
Trousdale%20Station-trousdale960.jpg

untitledI.jpg

LOL! You cannot base your entire opinion of semiexclusive or 100% exclusive right-of-way for LRT operation on a few pics of an elevated guideway under construction. The options for Transit City are literally infinite, we need only blame the ineptitude of our current planning department/city council for what we're slated to receive here in Toronto. If you're going to place your faith in photographic evidence alone, at least entertain what could happen based on what other cities are doing from Los Angeles to Portland, Oregon to Paris, France:

Any one line can be divided into segments that incorporate some or all of these methods. So for instance, the Eglinton-Crosstown Line could begin elevated at both ends (in order to access Terminal 3's main entrance and Kennedy SRT platform level which are both above-grade) then gradually transition down into median or curbside operation before ultimately burrowing underground through the Keele-Brentcliffe tunnel.
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, but the truly elevated portions still look absolutely hideous. Like I said, this would likely get opposition from most residents of the city, not just residents in the neighbourhood.

It's one thing when you have an elevated line separate from the roadways, but that wouldn't be the case here. To try to get this built along Eglinton would be political suicide, and for good reason.

untitled8.jpg

Anybody who's actually driven on Eglinton, I think would find the thought of an above ground ROW distasteful for sure. I would think that it would have some impact on that whole avenueization plan.

*Maybe* not west of the Humber. Though yes, the neighbours might find it distasteful...but, that's the neighbourhood.

Anybody who's actually driven on Eglinton, I think would find the thought of an above ground ROW distasteful for sure. I would think that it would have some impact on that whole avenueization plan.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. By "above ground" do you mean elevated? Above ground can mean a lot of things.

Eglinton-Crosstown Line could begin elevated at both ends (in order to access Terminal 3's main entrance and Kennedy SRT platform level which are both above-grade
If Kennedy SRT station is still elevated in 10 years, then we have failed as a city. :(

The best arrangement for Kennedy would have to be a SRT in the middle between Eglinton and Bloor. If Eglinton gets a subway, it'd be a pretty tasty Transit Sandwich :p

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, but the truly elevated portions still look absolutely hideous. Like I said, this would likely get opposition from most residents of the city, not just residents in the neighbourhood.

It's one thing when you have an elevated line separate from the roadways, but that wouldn't be the case here. To try to get this built along Eglinton would be political suicide, and for good reason.

untitled8.jpg

If you think a fine peice of urban artitecture like that's "absolutely hideous", well then there's no accountability for taste. And odd that you'd site local residents becoming NIMBYs when no actual historic established housing community even resides in the immediate areas where the elevated guideways would go. Apartment building dwellings living nearby by contrast would riot if we didn't provide a safe and rapid means to get them to their destinations. Grade-separtation from the highwaylike conditions of Eglinton through Etobicoke and East York-Scarborough would help. It is extremely possible to have the elevated guideways off to one side of the roadway. THINK: Richview corridor and the vacant parking lots stringing the Golden Mile where building structures are far removed from curbside. There's ample room with which to accomodate this. Standard walkway widths are typically 2.5ft across so at most we're talking a total guideway width of 24.9 ft (2.5 + 8.7 + 2.5 + 8.7 + 2.5). However could you imagine finding this much room down the median of Eglinton Avenue through the Golden Mile? How would pedestrians safely cross in order to access the platforms?

I fail to see why any motorists would complain when this would result in them not losing 2 lanes of useable roadway through Scarborough (Victoria Park-Midland). Lastly, I understand why people complain about the SRT platform's distance from the subway below but at least the infrastructure's already built. Were the Eglinton Line to just continue eastbound along that corridor, it'd make practical sense to distinguish it from the SRT Line which by all means it should be relocated down to mezzanine level. I don't think however it'd be possible or any more convenient for transferring passengers to sandwich three metro lines into that limited a space (SRT, Eglinton-Crosstown and Scarborough-Malvern LRTs).

I found the Richmond line in Richmond to be very pleasing to the eye while I was there. Elevated rail doesn't have to look like crap.

This can be Eglinton at Westside Mall
101_3546.jpg

101_3548.jpg

So you're arguing that looks good?

Back