News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
If no one's using the Finch-Sheppard line from one end to the other, or even from close to one end to close to the other, why connect them?
I frankly don't think TTC has any intention of connecting them. Perhaps one day they'll build a proper Finch East LRT which would cross the Don Mills LRT ... but I think that's all that will ever happen.

Tell that to Metrolinx.
I'm quite sure Metrolinx is quite well aware of the situation. Everyone is likely quitely and politely trying to ignore it, until some point in the future when everything else is well under construction ... by which point those who were pushing it hard will have retired, moved on, etc., it it becomes politically easier to simply remove it from Metrolinx's plan.

The LRT fron Don Mills station to Overlea would cost the same (or at least is about the same distance) as that from Finch station to Don Mills station.

I doubt they will remove buses on Finch East between Yonge and Don Mills... they will probably continue to run to Finch station but in the ROW.

That will be challenging, given the frequency of Finch East buses. If the buses continue to run at 70 s or even 90 s headways and try to share the ROW with LRT vehicles, the ROW will resemble a single continuous train :)

The only way it might work is if LRT runs in the Hydro Corridor between Yonge and Don Mills.

But even then, they will have a huge amount of redundant capacity on that section. Most of Finch West riders will go to Yonge or Spadina subways, and most of Sheppard East riders will transfer to Sheppard subway at Don Mills. So, the LRT vehicles would run quite empty between Yonge and Don Mills.

I agree that it would be better if the service was continuous on Finch and likely that is what they would be building if the Sheppard subway didn't exist or if the Sheppard subway terminated at STC. The existence of the Sheppard subway terminating at Don Mills necessitated that this LRT line come down to Sheppard to act as its feeder.

Then, they can plan for two LRT lines: one on Sheppard East as continuation of Sheppard subway, another on Finch East as continuation of Finch West LRT.

Last edited:
Finch East as a transportation corridor would cease to function if buses kept running outside the ROW. That's the kind of situation that destroys neighbourhoods by killing businesses and causing people to move away.

I'm quite sure Metrolinx is quite well aware of the situation. Everyone is likely quitely and politely trying to ignore it, until some point in the future when everything else is well under construction ... by which point those who were pushing it hard will have retired, moved on, etc., it it becomes politically easier to simply remove it from Metrolinx's plan.

Metrolinx has a heavy hand in the "connect the dots on a Ride Guide" motives that form the basis of the recent and terrible transit schemes. That's how things stick around in the government...everyone assumes someone else will deal with it. They'll keep assuming that and before you know it, it's built and disastrous.

Metrolinx has a heavy hand in the "connect the dots on a Ride Guide" motives that form the basis of the recent and terrible transit schemes. That's how things stick around in the government...everyone assumes someone else will deal with it. They'll keep assuming that and before you know it, it's built and disastrous.
How is it disasterous? Let them build it if they really must ... then spend a few more $ to tack on a Finch East LRT to Warden or somewhere, and with the Don Mills LRT, you end up with simply two additional lines. You'd only need about 4 km more LRT to get to Birchmount ... the city could even slip that into their own budget if they really wanted.

I agree with the objection to letting Metrolinx run riot with these odd plans ... but this one is so easily dealt with, and could be used to future benefit, that it's best to let the sleeping dog lie.

How is it disasterous? Let them build it if they really must ... then spend a few more $ to tack on a Finch East LRT to Warden or somewhere, and with the Don Mills LRT, you end up with simply two additional lines. You'd only need about 4 km more LRT to get to Birchmount ... the city could even slip that into their own budget if they really wanted.

Why is splitting up Finch East with LRT and bus service disastrous? Try reading the posts you're responding to...I've already said why.

Why is splitting up Finch East with LRT and bus service disastrous?
Try reading my posts. I will NEVER happen - at least not at Don Mills Road.

The TTC has shown no indication of doing this. Metrolinx can draw all the lines on paper they want, but unless TTC actually starts studying it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Try reading my posts. I will NEVER happen - at least not at Don Mills Road.

The TTC has shown no indication of doing this. Metrolinx can draw all the lines on paper they want, but unless TTC actually starts studying it, I wouldn't worry about it.

People here are talking about the Metrolinx-proposed Finch-Sheppard combined service. You know this. Keep up. It may not matter what the TTC wants in 10 ten years if Metrolinx ends up with more power to build what it wants. The TTC is already at the mercy of the province to build absolutely everything.

People here are talking about the Metrolinx-proposed Finch-Sheppard combined service.
This is the thread for the Eglinton LRT.

It may not matter what the TTC wants in 10 ten years if Metrolinx ends up with more power to build what it wants. The TTC is already at the mercy of the province to build absolutely everything.
Metrolinx has already realised that it's over-committed, and is looking at ways to cut back; it looks like we've already lost the Malvern extension to the SRT. We can't predict what's going to happen in 10 ten years, but there is no momentum on this. There isn't even an EA.

I think the Metrolinx proposal to link Sheppard East and Finch West is pure idiocy. It's an expensive form of The Cheapening. It's cheap because it's trying to avoid expanding the Sheppard subway in both directions. It's expensive because it requires building a Don Mills connector LRT to connect Finch West, a short Finch East portion, then down Don Mills to connect with the Sheppard East LRT. It makes no sense.

What SHOULD be done is have a Finch LRT (e.g. the Finch West LRT currently planned, and extend it eastward to...somewhere--I don't know the area so can't hazard a guess to where it should terminate), and fully build out Sheppard (Downsview-STC, I don't think any extensions beyond that will be needed for probably 20+ years).

This is the thread for the Eglinton LRT.

You could have reminded yourself of that before making a bunch of off-topic posts where you do nothing but get confused by everything everyone else says.

Of course, the entire topic of discussion the past few pages has been the feasibility (or lack thereof) of ultra-long, potentially branched LRT lines. That's what Eglinton is and that's what you're talking about, whether you understand it or not.

For the record, my vote was other, so here goes.

I would suggest an LRT, underground from Jane to Brentcliffe, then side of the road until going back underground for the Don Mills terminall (fully grade separated all the way, but on surface or elevated when possible). In the west I would elevate the line in the Richview corridor, with airport access to be determined, but leaving room for a shared ROW. The eastern section past Don Mills would be left to a later phase, but likely centre of road ROW as proposed by Transit City, given the ROW available and proximity to Kennedy station or the grade separated part of the line.

While a subway could be elevated in the Richview corridor, this would be a significantly larger structure, and more importantly would make the rest of the suburban LRT network I support more awkward. While I would like to see the subways in Move Toronto (with the above modifications to Eglinton), I also strongly believe in suburban LRT. At a minimum I would have upgrading the Finch, Hwy 27 and Don Mills BRT (which I would reduce below the BRT light proposed to simple limited stop, frequent service buses) lines to LRT included in the 25 year timeline, and Eglinton provides a strong backbone for that network with no loss in service quality west of Don Mills.

Personally I think we need to focus on the backbone of the system, which is subway, and analyze where to put the LRTs after that. Finch as LRT I think makes sense. So does Steeles. But we'd have to get the subway network up to par first or at least concurrently. The amount of subway we have downtown alone is a joke compared to other cities. It's just the U-shape and that's it. Even if we had the DRL alongside it, I think we need another line intersecting somewhere between Front and Bloor (Dundas would be my vote). This isn't part of any of SOS's plans or anything, I'm just saying. I think we should have another E-W subway corridor south of Bloor.

See, I suggested as much before. Instead of the DRL following Queen, King or CNR straight across before heading upwards; it could cut through the innercity via roughly Spadina, College and Dufferin on the western leg and Parliament, Gerrard and Pape on the eastern leg. This would leave space further south for a Queen West/Queensway - Wellington/Front East - Queen East subway. Of course I guess we're about 100 years too late to start making downtown Toronto have the level of urban subway coverage as London, Paris or NYC.

Back