News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

On a more serious note however, that website was a nice one with good information about the project. I still have their email and tried messaging them about the status of this project back when Ford announced his transit plan, but I never got a reply. The only sign of life this project shows is this little statement on the city website:

"The Project has completed the initial planning phases. As directed by City Council, work is currently underway to develop a plan in coordination with Metrolinx for the EELRT with a terminus at Malvern Town Centre; confirm location and construction timing of a Maintenance and Storage Facility; and commence the preliminary design and engineering phases of this project. No funding for capital construction has been committed."

Unless there's funding from the city, province, or feds, the project is stuck in limbo with no sign of funding anytime soon.

On a more serious note however, that website was a nice one with good information about the project. I still have their email and tried messaging them about the status of this project back when Ford announced his transit plan, but I never got a reply. The only sign of life this project shows is this little statement on the city website:

"The Project has completed the initial planning phases. As directed by City Council, work is currently underway to develop a plan in coordination with Metrolinx for the EELRT with a terminus at Malvern Town Centre; confirm location and construction timing of a Maintenance and Storage Facility; and commence the preliminary design and engineering phases of this project. No funding for capital construction has been committed."

Unless there's funding from the city, province, or feds, the project is stuck in limbo with no sign of funding anytime soon.
...But they promised...

I'm genuinely curious why someone would set up a gambling site of all things on the former EELRT page

Any thoughts on Eglinton east of Kennedy and west of Mount Dennis turning into a BRT. Perhaps the Eglinton East LRT are dead now?

Priority bus lanes =/= BRT. This is a low-cost measure to speed up travel on those high-use routes that could help determine whether a corridor would be better off with full BRT, LRT, or remaining priority bus lanes.

It's literally the same thing as what Durham Region is doing, and they are calling it BRT. Dedicated transit lanes pretty much is the definition of BRT.

Any thoughts on Eglinton east of Kennedy and west of Mount Dennis turning into a BRT. Perhaps the Eglinton East LRT are dead now?

I think it will be a good test for to see how traffic patterns change or worsen with the removal of vehicle lanes

The City seems to be doing this a pre-curser to the routes which are slated for future LRT. I'm interested to see how it goes, it will certainly be helpful for public transit commuters, but as usual i dont think it is well thought out by the City in terms of the bigger picture of traffic and lack of cycle infrastructure.

Might see another backlash here

Last edited:
More accurately, it's BRT-lite. Regardless of what some transit agencies want to call it.

It's an improvement, for sure.

It will help slightly but the Kennedy station construction will still wreak havoc on frequency for some time. I take this route a couple times a week, moreso the express and it's really not held up by traffic outside of Kennedy station and regular traffic lights, which this does absolutely nothing to address. So we possibly will have small incremental gain for bus commuters at best and create a serious traffic problem. I really cant even imagine the mess at Morningside crossing between 4pm and 7pm after this.

The issue here is not the bus lanes but again is the City always looks at implementing them commuting thru a very narrow lens. Fix one problem in a manner that makes existing issues like congestion far worse. Subway vs LRT, vehicle traffic vs. public transit frequency, cars vs. cyclists. Madness. We'll continue to get nowhere with such narrow planning and the long term political and financial cost of the consequences will always be higher then any saving they felt they could achieve and will continue to prevent the City from moving forward. Madness continues.

Last edited:
Steve Munro has a side by side comparison showing which stops are removed in this TTC proposal:

1594308830617.png

Reactions: syn

Back