News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I still think line 2 should be extended along Eglinton up to Kingston, and have an LRT going from UTSC along Kingston Road to Danforth or further. Enough of these roundabout routes that hit malls instead of avenues.

I still think line 2 should be extended along Eglinton up to Kingston, and have an LRT going from UTSC along Kingston Road to Danforth or further. Enough of these roundabout routes that hit malls instead of avenues.

Unfortunately Scarborough has made some very poor design decisions. The subway route has been designed to accomodate those poor decisions.

There is an existing demand of 5,000+ pphpd at peak between Scarborough Centre and Kennedy. How would serve that demand if the subway is extended along Eglinton instead of going north-west to Scarborough Centre?

Build both the subway along Eglinton and the SLRT to Scarborough Centre? Maybe there are some benefits in that configuration, but it would cost more than the current SSE plan costs.

Unfortunately Scarborough has made some very poor design decisions. The subway route has been designed to accomodate those poor decisions.

It was the Province that gave us the wonders of the disjointed, disconnected RT. But then again some of the other proposals floating around back then like a streetcar were just a short-sighted.

Anyhow were over 2 decades since amalgamation and were talking right now about the current revitalization plans for now the future. Revitalization should include fixing any mistakes from the past, respecting the voices of people who live here and paying attention to key details to build a better future.

Sadly, most people here are clearly not respected or understood by many outsiders as media propaganda is spewed to fit a narrative, and there is no interest in the key details from far too many outside Planners and Politicians within the City. It's a problem that has reared its ugly head again with this corridor.

Seriously, This bus lane here is a 3rd class gesture that takes an entire lane of traffic away and leaves greater confusion t drivers, with no real rapid transit and no real cycle lanes. All the while we build rapid transit in the West side of the City. Toronto planning out did itself here.... But ya i'm sure it's 'evidence-based'

Last edited:
I can't believe this has become a fight too. Let's get this right so we don't have another 10 year battle.

Eglinton East - removing 2 vehicles lanes and adding NO rapid transit
Eglinton West -removing 0 vehicle lanes and adding fully underground rapid transit

I mean who can't see a major problem brewing here and how irresponsible the City planning is?

The minimum City planning should have pushed forward with at this time if not the non grade separated EELRT that was almost ready was a real BRT. But nope, the EELRT was only lauded by outside Politicians and used as a weapon to cut corners and stop the SSE. As soon as the SSE was taken away to be fixed and funded, they tool the opportunity to pack up the EELRT and paint a red line. No lie, they all loved the EELRT until the subway was fixed and being paid by the Province.

Anyone who can't see the glaring issue and prejudice in the Citys planning and propped by certain media to promote these plans truly doesnt care to understand the issues or needs here or simply doesnt pay any attention?

Last edited:
Eglinton West -removing 0 vehicle lanes and adding fully underground rapid transit

I mean who can't see a major problem brewing here?

The minimum City planning should have pushed forward at this time was the non grade separated EELRT that was almost ready. But nope, that line was only lauded by outside Politicians and used as a weapon to cut corners and stop the SSE. As soon as they were given a chance to pack up and paint a red line they did. No lie, they all loved it until the subway was fixed and being paid by the Province.

Anyone who can't see the glaring issue and prejudice in the Citys planning and propped by certain media to promote these plans truly doesnt care to understand the issues or needs here or simply dont pay any attention?

A true "transit czar" is needed. One who would over-rule the automobile followers in city hall and actually implement pro-transit measures.

A true "transit czar" is needed. One who would over-rule the automobile followers in city hall and actually implement pro-transit measures.

That statement is very problematic as the majority of families here have family members that require a car due to the various limitations of public transit in their lives. This will not change for many, many, many decades even if we were currently building real rapid transition solutions on most major arteries. And sadly we are not. But we are planning on doing far worse by adding a red line and removing car lanes, while adding no rapid transit. It is really beyond the extremes of an ideology, extreme lack of respect and very irresponsible.

Again understanding the realistic landscape(s) and paying attention to various key details as we grow for the future is vital. For the Toronto suburbs Its about providing solutions which helps create not only more efficient public transit, more cycling infrastructure, but better connections to public transit for all modes including cars while not causing greater congestion until public transit is improved to provide adequate alternatives.

Those Politicians wanting to tunnel and provide the best in grade separation while limiting impacts on cars are hardly the problem here, but those wanting to remove car lanes without even planning or providing rapid transit are extremely irresponsible. You can't even compare the two.

The City needs a 'Czar' who has a clue of how people actually live in the City outside the Core and how we can responsibly connect and transition all walks of life as they City grows. What we have witnessed with the corner cutting planning of Scarborough with Transit City and again here on Eglinton East is beyond concerning, out of touch with the reality and the greater needs of the people who actually live here.

Last edited:
There is an existing demand of 5,000+ pphpd at peak between Scarborough Centre and Kennedy. How would serve that demand if the subway is extended along Eglinton instead of going north-west to Scarborough Centre?

Build both the subway along Eglinton and the SLRT to Scarborough Centre? Maybe there are some benefits in that configuration, but it would cost more than the current SSE plan costs.
I think that can be solved either with a spur/shuttle line between Scarborough Centre and a Lawrence East GO station, or with branching Line 2 east of Kennedy. Extending the line east could also be done above ground, which has apparently not been considered for the existing SSE plan.

I mean who can't see a major problem brewing here and how irresponsible the City planning is?

The minimum City planning should have pushed forward with at this time if not the non grade separated EELRT that was almost ready was a real BRT. But nope, the EELRT was only lauded by outside Politicians and used as a weapon to cut corners and stop the SSE. As soon as the SSE was taken away to be fixed and funded, they tool the opportunity to pack up the EELRT and paint a red line. No lie, they all loved the EELRT until the subway was fixed and being paid by the Province.

Anyone who can't see the glaring issue and prejudice in the Citys planning and propped by certain media to promote these plans truly doesnt care to understand the issues or needs here or simply doesnt pay any attention?
Eglinton West being underground was Doug's decision FYI. It was supposed to be above ground. Also, the right turns under this plan are also a problem.

I feel like the context between those 2 decisions are different though. The Eglinton West extension not only serves the airport, the biggest employment center in the city, but also connects to renforth gateway and the transitway, a fully grade separated busway connecting to Downtown Mississauga, and it wouldn't make too much sense if to commute from Mississauga to Toronto, you had to get on a fully grade separated busway, then get on an LRT that's not grade separated, which then goes back to grade separated where you can transfer to Line 1. That setup would simply be idiotic. Meanwhile Eglinton East... eh? It doesn't really go anywhere too important other than maybe UTSC and 2 relatively minor GO stations. I don't think there simply is much of a business case for a grade separated option, and while I would 100% support a grade-separated option, I would understand them not wanting to go down that path unlike Eglinton West. (Also I know you're talking about busses, but tbh short term I don't really see much of a difference. An LRT realistically would only improve capacity).

Is it likely anyone would take that route to from MCC to Yonge?

MCC to Renforth is 15 minutes. 35 min from Renforth to Yonge Eglinton, another 18 minutes to get downtown? Maybe it would be faster to take LRT to Port Credit GO and then Union? You'd have to be going north of Eglinton on Yonge to make it faster, I think.

I think that can be solved either with a spur/shuttle line between Scarborough Centre and a Lawrence East GO station, or with branching Line 2 east of Kennedy. Extending the line east could also be done above ground, which has apparently not been considered for the existing SSE plan.

The mainline spur to Scarborough Centre would be a very good idea, but unfortunately was totally ignored by Metrolinx.

Branching Line 2, on the other hand, is equivalent to building SSE plus another subway spur further east under Eglinton. Definitely more expensive than the plan currently on the book.

MCC to Renforth is 15 minutes. 35 min from Renforth to Yonge Eglinton, another 18 minutes to get downtown? Maybe it would be faster to take LRT to Port Credit GO and then Union? You'd have to be going north of Eglinton on Yonge to make it faster, I think.

The MCC to Yonge route would be mostly useful to connect Mississauga to Toronto Midtown, rather than to Toronto Downtown.

For Mississauga to Toronto Downtown connection, one would probably use the Lakeshore West or the Milton GO line.

To get to midtown or NYC, absolutely. I wasn't talking about going downtown to Union.

Back