News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The window treatment is quite unfortunate. Lends it a perpetual abandoned look despite the otherwise laudable renovation.

Found an old picture featuring the original sign from high school photography class over 10 years ago:

20200114_233800.png

Last edited:
Is the El Mocambo reopening this spring? This musician may have spilled the beans by announcing a show there

By Garnet Fraser Toronto Star
Fri., Feb. 7, 2020

Is the El Mocambo reopening in a couple of months? Country artist Corb Lund seems to have confirmed it on Friday by revealing a May concert date at the long-shuttered Toronto venue.

The Spadina concert spot has hosted shows by the Rolling Stones, Muddy Waters, Queens of the Stone Age, Elvis Costello, U2 and Blondie in its history stretching back (through a few closures and several owners) to 1948. In 2014 it was closed and sold to “Dragons’ Den” star and rock aficionado Michael Wekerle, who pledged to keep it from becoming a computer store and planned an ambitious renovation.

Now Lund, the Albertan country-music veteran, has announced a May 22 date at the fabled Toronto spot touring his new album “Agricultural Tragic.” Official spokespeople for the venue said Friday that they were “unable to confirm an opening date for the El Mo, but can tell you that we are very close.”

El Mocambo to reopen this spring before CMW

Information that's been spreading online is mostly inaccurate, but owner Michael Wekerle says the historic venue will open "when the snow melts and the sun starts to shower"

BY RICHARD TRAPUNSKI
FEBRUARY 14, 2020

If I had to be honest, it looks like the $400 bottle service version of the El Mo. Sort of like Cold Tea in Kensington Market after its reno, I used to love going there a few years ago but I don't even bother checking it out anymore.

If I had to be honest, it looks like the $400 bottle service version of the El Mo. Sort of like Cold Tea in Kensington Market after its reno, I used to love going there a few years ago but I don't even bother checking it out anymore.
What struck me was this:

'Wekerle has already sparked some controversial discussion with his answer to a media question about how much tickets will cost. "Oh, let's say $100 to $1,000," he said, seemingly taken aback by the question.

Curran, though, says he plans to have up-and-coming bands playing the venue too, which seems unattainable given those prices. A representative from the El Mocambo says they can't confirm any average ticket price with certainty until programming is announced and filled out.'

Bottle service indeed.

Reminds me of the those high-end concert venues in Vegas, You pay like $1200 a ticket to watch Aerosmith or some big name band in a small venue.

Hopefully the El Mo is used for local indie bands, not just a venue for millionaire rock stars to play in front of a bunch of rich yuppies.

Reminds me of the those high-end concert venues in Vegas, You pay like $1200 a ticket to watch Aerosmith or some big name band in a small venue.

Hopefully the El Mo is used for local indie bands, not just a venue for millionaire rock stars to play in front of a bunch of rich yuppies.
Indie bands and $100 cover venues - not compatible. This place will cater to trustafarians and the other assorted douchebags who comprise the current 'nightlife scene', as abysmal as it is. Will probably morph into some sort of dance club before its inevitable failure.
Check out the owner, 'pretentious twat' is being too kind.

Back