News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

adma: I can appreciate the planning philosophy behind those 50's Humbertown blocks, and I'm usually the last person advocating removal of historic built form in Toronto (god knows we've lost, and are continuing to lose, enough of it), but when it comes to these dreary looking buildings I simply can't manufacture any sympathy. I've always considered them to be virtually the ugly epitome of architectural laziness, and were mistake from the start. They remind me of Regent Park, and i'm kind of amazed that they never turned into ghetto.
It's probably more that they were "saved" by the demographics around them. So if they didn't turn Regent Parkish, neither did the towers around High Park station turn St. James Townish.
Actually the new plan for Regent Park might be a good inspiration of what could be done here as well.
But given the current urban design culture/grassroots of the neighbourhood, gated retro-schlock's the more likely destiny. Next to that, this ugly epitome of architectural laziness almost becomes old-shoe charming--sociologically, at least...

Port Royal Place

Hi Brian 69
I enjoyed living in the area. It was a great starter condo for me and I was fortunate enough to live in the small, stand alone bldg. It had a bit of a boutique hotel feel to it. There was a great community feel when it was just 3 bldgs. and the townhomes. A lot of interaction between the residents of the street, especially if you were a dog owner. Ironically, where the park is now, there was a big fenced field. Dog owners used it as a leash free dog park and it allowed them to mingle with each other as well as other residents who just liked dogs. That strangely changed when the new park went in and seemed only to attract some questionable types from the Ontario Housing buildings on Mabelle. The area is easily walkable to beer store on Bloor as well as Kingsway restaurants and Islington subway. Dundas has a couple of so so pubs (stay away from Tessie McDaid's on corner of Dundas & Michael Power...bad food, nasty drink all day crowd and the whole place wreaks of urine). Also, watch walking near Dundas and Mabelle at night...a little "gangy" sometimes. Otherwise not so bad. Watch for Allison, who walks two dogs.....has pink sometimes platinum hair and is a maneater, lol.

ceaz40,

Thanks for the information--it is very helpful. My wife and I are dog people (though we don't have one at present) so it's too bad the park changed. Glad to hear dog walkers are still about, though. The pub info/warning is also good, as I am always in search of a good watering hole (I'm going to miss the beer selection at West50 here). I only wish a half-decent LCBO was nearby as well as a supermarket within walking distance, but one can't have everything.

I was a little nervous about Cordova/Mabelle being so close even though I'm sure the majority of residents are decent people. I had heard about drug issues in the complex and the possible gang links (Crips?). I hope late night walks from Islington station through the underpass won't be an issue for my wife.

Overall, though, I like the area and hope it continues to improve. The renovation of the subway station and the possible work on the Westwood lands should help as well. I remember going to the Westwood complex when I was younger when I lived near the Kingsway, as well as going to Apache Burger and G&B burgers as a kid. Strange to see how it has changed--or not, in the case of Apache!

As far as Michael Power Place goes, I can see the congestion issue getting worse. At first I thought that having a cul-de-sac would be preferable to entering/exiting a busier street but I imagine things aren't so good at 8 in the morning. Too bad the road layout can't be changed.

Brian

I don't live in the area, but know it quite well. There ism't much that can be done about the road layout, given the location of the tracks and the underpass on Bloor Street, but I wonder why it would be an issue. You can get to Bloor pretty directly via Resurrection Road, and the road configuration discourages a lot of "drive-through" traffic.

I like the "village" feel of the commercial district along Dundas, between roughly Michael Power and the corner of Burnhamthorpe. A couple of good neighbourhood-style restaurants and pubs, etc.

The objection I have to the neighbourhood design is that the park at Michael Power and Dundas was built immediately beside Dundas Street. An opportunity was missed to improve the streetscape along Dundas. A good mid-rise building could have been placed there. If the park were a bit to the south, not only would Dundas look better, but I would think the park would be safer for small children.

"That strangely changed when the new park went in and seemed only to attract some questionable types from the Ontario Housing buildings on Mabelle."

I have had only pleasant experiences at the park. I took my toddler there all last summer and met many other parents. My son and I look forward to going back there this spring.

Regarding dining and other shops:

Hits: Espresso Cafe - non-descript bakery/cafe on north side of Dundas, just east of cabot. Good hot meals, bread, pizza and pasteries. Everything I have had there has been good.

Hits: Hair Unlimited - just west of Miller's Bistro. Good men's hairstyling. Say Hi to Vito.

Hits: Anatolia- very good Turkish food. Don't miss their festival days when they have belly dancers.
Miss: Pinocchio's restaurant. Overpriced and not very good.

Observer Walt,

I like the village atmosphere too--strange the Christopher Hume was so hard on the area awhile back. I think the biggest problem is that is it appears "off kilter" from the continuous Bloor strip to the east (though it really isn't) and it lies at the gateway to the soulless sprawl and strip malls of Dundas west.

notyouagain,

Thanks for the tips on the restaurants and other establishments. So far I've only tried one of the hole in the wall Korean places when dropping in on the village (nothing to write home about) so I've been curious about some of the other ones. I love espresso and I'm going to miss the Portuguese bakery near my present address, so I appreciate the info on the bakery/cafe.

Brian

There's an application to redevelop some commercial buildings on Eva Road (It's a 427 connector).

Not sure what the height or density is. Will look into it.

An update of the Royal York Grand at Royal York and Eglinton (right where this thing belongs). Developer is HR Developments.

You really do get around, casaguy - I thought you never left downtown!

As for this development, banal Etobian schlock. It also bugs me how far it's set back from Eglinton. Reminds me of Mississauga.

Seeing how the Richview expressway was killed decades ago, it's rather irritating that the empty strips of land next to Eglinton from just east of Jane all the way to Martingrove haven't been filled in. There's so much potential.

Those first two developments are godawful. Horrible 80's planning and design live on in Rexdale, unsurprisingly. In Etobicoke, everything north of the 401 should be bulldozed - better yet, everything north of Eglinton.

I agree its perhaps the most ugliest part of the city.

Seeing how the Richview expressway was killed decades ago, it's rather irritating that the empty strips of land next to Eglinton from just east of Jane all the way to Martingrove haven't been filled in. There's so much potential.

Really, do they need to be filled in?

How about some greenspace?

Back