News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

ATU 569 needs to let the city require bus operators to close the doors & set destination sign to [Not In Service] when leaving buses unattended at Transit Centres.
IMG_7893.jpeg

Edmonton Transit Service Revenue Management Audit, 2019

Personally I really do like the arc system. I'm not taking the bus or train all the time. So it doesn't make sense for me to have a monthly bus pass. But whenever I do need to take transit. If I don't have a balance on my arc card, I can just go online and top up the balance. This is saved me from having to go by bus tickets when I've run out.
I do understand the issue of driving as opposed to taking the bus or train. But I have to laugh about the cost. Even a monthly bus pass is only around the hundred some dollars, but that is it. As we know in comparison to drive a car or truck. There is the cost of gas. Which I challenge anyone out there to say that they only spend a $130 on gas a month.
Plus there is the fact of parking in the downtown core. Either you have to park very large distance away for free parking or you have to pay to park. And then there's also the fact of traffic going in and out of the downtown for the University or really anywhere during rush hour. And yes, I know try telling that to the guy in the big pickup truck all by himself, sitting in traffic during rush hour and he'll still say that it's better to be in his own vehicle even though he's probably spent far far more money on gas, and parking and auto maintenance than buying one bus pass.

Learning the transit system takes time and effort. Some people (for whatever reason) refuse to take LRT, even though it offers savings that @Edmcowboy11 listed. A lot of the thinking about commuting and driving is based on long-standing beliefs..

Personally I really do like the arc system. I'm not taking the bus or train all the time. So it doesn't make sense for me to have a monthly bus pass. But whenever I do need to take transit. If I don't have a balance on my arc card, I can just go online and top up the balance. This is saved me from having to go by bus tickets when I've run out.
I do understand the issue of driving as opposed to taking the bus or train. But I have to laugh about the cost. Even a monthly bus pass is only around the hundred some dollars, but that is it. As we know in comparison to drive a car or truck. There is the cost of gas. Which I challenge anyone out there to say that they only spend a $130 on gas a month.
Plus there is the fact of parking in the downtown core. Either you have to park very large distance away for free parking or you have to pay to park. And then there's also the fact of traffic going in and out of the downtown for the University or really anywhere during rush hour. And yes, I know try telling that to the guy in the big pickup truck all by himself, sitting in traffic during rush hour and he'll still say that it's better to be in his own vehicle even though he's probably spent far far more money on gas, and parking and auto maintenance than buying one bus pass.
This is true if you're commuting downtown daily or if you can avoid owning a car by relying on transit. It falls apart a bit if you're going anytime off-peak, weekends, etc. Given that I already own a car, it's way cheaper to drive downtown and pay the couple of dollars to park than to pay $3.50 it will cost each way per person. If I wanted to go for supper downtown with 4 people from Bonnie Doon that would cost me $2 in gas (or less) and $3 to park for a couple hours. That same trip would cost me $7/person to take the LRT ($28 total), and would take me at least 10 more minutes than driving. I know costs and times will vary depending on where you're coming from and going to, but for me this really shrinks the use-case of the LRT down even further. I'll probably only take it to go to Oilers games or the odd crowded downtown event. For everything else, driving just makes way more sense.

The challenge is that most households struggle to ditch cars altogether. Most still need at least 1, or one for evenings/weekends vs consistent commutes.

Which makes the $100 actually a huge cost on top of vehicle costs (most of which are pretty fixed: insurance, tires, vehicle cost).

The cost of a trip in your vehicle for just the gas is always cheaper vs transit and likely way faster. So unless transit is affordable, people won’t use.

And in terms of parking, a few things work against it: 1) parking is cheaper as soon as you have 2 or more people on the vehicle. 2) many people working downtown have parking passes through work. 3) parking is less of a cost with 2-3 days in office for many now vs 5 days. If parking is $5 more a day, it might only be $40 more a month now vs $120 more.

ATU 569 needs to let the city require bus operators to close the doors & set destination sign to [Not In Service] when leaving buses unattended at Transit Centres.
View attachment 588952

Edmonton Transit Service Revenue Management Audit, 2019
There's another issue that needs looking at:

Last Friday a passenger boards and asks the operator if she can get a free ride as she needs to cash her cheque, and away we go...

I've seen this multiple before where the operator just lets them on. The odd operator says something like "well pay double next trip"

Is this "free ride" a policy? Who/when did it go into effect?

For safety reasons, drivers are not to intervene if passengers don't want to pay for a fare. They could however at their discretion notify security who may send peace officers. Whether the peace officers get there in time to intervene/enforce is probably why they don't bother unless it's a more serious issue than not paying a fare.

There's another issue that needs looking at:

Last Friday a passenger boards and asks the operator if she can get a free ride as she needs to cash her cheque, and away we go...

I've seen this multiple before where the operator just lets them on. The odd operator says something like "well pay double next trip"

Is this "free ride" a policy? Who/when did it go into effect?
One time back in 7th grade I was short on change trying to jump on the 99 from Capilano mall. Driver said he'd only let me on if I sang him a country song. Didn't know any so he kicked me off.

So add that one to the list: extorting performances in lieu of bus fare.

One time back in 7th grade I was short on change trying to jump on the 99 from Capilano mall. Driver said he'd only let me on if I sang him a country song. Didn't know any so he kicked me off.

So add that one to the list: extorting performances in lieu of bus fare.
So the country road couldn't take you home to the place where you belonged?

- I will see myself out.....

For safety reasons, drivers are not to intervene if passengers don't want to pay for a fare. They could however at their discretion notify security who may send peace officers. Whether the peace officers get there in time to intervene/enforce is probably why they don't bother unless it's a more serious issue than not paying a fare.
Agreed, it's not worth getting attacked, and the security response times are slowwwww

Back