News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

John Street Roundhouse - built 1929

JohnStreetRoundhousebuilt1929_zps264affe3.jpg

Has this photo been identified before? Where is this?

whereinToronto_zpse26b02bf.jpg

I probably shot this in the 1950s but don't recall where. Anyone know?

1950sphotowithRetina_zps4ab15490.jpg

Has this photo been identified before? Where is this?

The eight storey building certainly bears a resemblance to the structure which stood at the SW corner of Adelaide and Victoria directly behind the Confederation Life building.

The eight storey building certainly bears a resemblance to the structure which stood at the SW corner of Adelaide and Victoria directly behind the Confederation Life building.

I'm still puzzled because the Confed. Bldg. is on Richmond.

[QUOTE
[/QUOTE]

Puzzle solved -- I've found the caption in the Toronto Archives files:

"Wellington St. east to Yonge 1919"

I'm still puzzled because the Confed. Bldg. is on Richmond.

Sorry. I'm always getting Richmond and Adelaides streets confused. The fenestration also seemed to be a bit at odds with the Victoria St. building. I'm sure Charioteer could tell us exactly where it is.

I probably shot this in the 1950s but don't recall where. Anyone know?

1950sphotowithRetina_zps4ab15490.jpg

I feel like you may have posted this before, but in any case, I think it's Ottawa - Burkholder Furs was on Rideau St (which had a streetcar until 1959 or so, hence the tracks).

Old Upper Canada College

Upper Canada College.jpg

Sorry, I can't recall where I found this image.

Attachments

• Upper Canada College.jpg
    Upper Canada College.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 1,597
"today, we'd be watching video replays..."

i read a science fiction novel recently ("great north road" by peter f hamilton), in which roads, buildings, walls, most surfaces were sprayed with nanobot-sized "smartcells" capable of recording video, and where police reconstruct a crime scene by integrating all such recordings (those which hadn't been electronically fried by the bad guys) holographically...

anyhow, your point is well taken... today's technology far exceeds what we dreamt was possible, and tomorrow's will do the same

Here's the 2014 version - I guess we would all be talking about it with a double-double!
jarvis.jpg

Attachments

• jarvis.jpg
    jarvis.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,124

Back