News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Anyone care to guess at what make of car that is?

Note that it is right-hand drive, which was not unusual at that time, even in countries with right-hand traffic.

Just this caption; no pic:

CITY of TORONTO ARCHIVES

Fonds 1587, Series 409, Item 13
Title: Man and woman in Beattie auto, and large group of on-lookers, in front of W. H. Lee, Druggist, 47 King St. E. (King Edward Hotel)

(You! Yes YOU! Get your arm off of my headlamp!)

J T

Last edited:
Friends, I am in love with this picture of Toronto.
It's is 59-62 I figure? Perhaps someone can clear that up. I have searched nearly every aerial photo on Google for that time, but cannot find this angle.
Any and all information + leads would be so greatly appreciated.

Zoom toronto.png

Attachments

• Zoom toronto.png
    Zoom toronto.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 866
Great find. It's got to be an aerial, of course. And I expect you're right about the date because I think that big white expanse on the top right is Moss Park, after they demolished the houses but before they put up the highrises.

Friends, I am in love with this picture of Toronto.
It's is 59-62 I figure? Perhaps someone can clear that up. I have searched nearly every aerial photo on Google for that time, but cannot find this angle.
Any and all information + leads would be so greatly appreciated.

It would be after November 1961, at least, because you can see some of the square in front of City Hall, halfway down the left side. So City Hall would have been built or at least under construction at the time the photo was taken.

But it also appears that the Royal Bank Building - the blank white wall next to the Commerce Court tower, about halfway between Moss Park and the Royal York - is visible, and that was completed in 1964.

It would be after November 1961, at least, because you can see some of the square in front of City Hall, halfway down the left side. So City Hall would have been built or at least under construction at the time the photo was taken.

But it also appears that the Royal Bank Building - the blank white wall next to the Commerce Court tower, about halfway between Moss Park and the Royal York - is visible, and that was completed in 1964.

Just below and to the left of the Commerce building is that the skeleton of the TD Bank tower going up or is that the demolition of buildings on the north side of Wellington west of Bay in preparation for the TD Centre?

Definitely TD coming up--also coming up: Montreal Trust (next to Commerce Cout North), the Bell building, the Richmond-Adelaide Centre, and it'd seem that City Hall and NPS is just about prepped for opening. So my guess'd be c1965...

Post 1970.

(SEE MY KORECTION BELOW.)
j t

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"If it were post 1970, we *would* have TD blocking out the scenery. "
adma.

That could possibly be, but after having surfed the web - "Temple Building, Toronto",

the 1970 date is "pronounced". EDIT!.................. SHOULD HAVE BEEN WRITTEN AS PRE! .... PRE!.... PRE! ....(DEMOLISHED SUMMER 1970. DUH.)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
The Temple Building's site is hidden behind another structure in that photo, isn't it?
Perhaps it's still there!

Re Temple: well, you can see the "shaft" of the Victory Building right in front of Old City Hall. And nestled to its right can be discerned the partial dark mass of the Temple Building...

Yes, I see what you mean, adma.

And that white 'cap' on the "Temple" helps with the identification.

Those dates (Temple vs TD Centre), however, are puzzling.

Back