News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

And one never knew what could appear in the skies over Front and York:

toronto-walker-house-aviation-fu-3.jpg

And one never knew what could appear in the skies over Front and York:

toronto-walker-house-aviation-fu-3.jpg

Also, one never knew that such an old image could be copyrighted all over again (see bottom-right corner of image)!
Such false claims of copyright are all too prevalent on many archive sites today.
Public domain photographs, in which the copyright expired long ago, are frequently claimed by current owners.
Even Daguerreotypes often display a copyright notice!
I am pleased to see that thecharioteer is not fooled by such false representations.
I suspect that such claims are made only to intimidate the uneducated.

Also, one never knew that such an old image could be copyrighted all over again (see bottom-right corner of image)!
Such false claims of copyright are all too prevalent on many archive sites today.
Public domain photographs, in which the copyright expired long ago, are frequently claimed by current owners.
Even Daguerreotypes often display a copyright notice!
I am pleased to see that thecharioteer is not fooled by such false representations.
I suspect that such claims are made only to intimidate the uneducated.

your post is absolutely spot on Goldie.

speaking of things that fly:

On July 8-16 1910, on the converted farmland of William G. Trethewey, the very first example of human flight in Toronto took place. The site was located near Jane and Weston road in Mount Dennis (or Weston?), and was Toronto’s first airfield.

It later became known as the Trethewey Airfield, and after that De Lesseps Field, after one of the guests, the French pilot Jacques de Lesseps. De Lesseps had completed the first aeroplane flight in Quebec the previous week, flying over the city of Montreal on 2 July 1910.

“This event, sponsored by the Ontario Motor League, necessitated preparing a runway through the fields, the centre of which is present-day Hearst Circle. As well, a grandstand was built to accommodate the spectators; however, its exact location is unknown.â€

eb06a57a.jpg

ea4bc25f.jpg

45b56ab2.jpg

0652d2be.jpg

4b01f626.jpg

6d13c60e.jpg

e473c14a.jpg

974bbc16.jpg

0bcf65cb.jpg

41782867.jpg

c9cf9adb.jpg

8defc8d4.jpg

d7b23e7e.jpg

Great set, deepend! Weston's a little different now, eh?

That’s for sure…

Two years after the air show in 1912, just a few farms over, a big American company would buy 25 acres of land, and rename it Kodak Heights.

3ce57a4d.jpg

b8c5bc79.jpg

Two years later, modernity would arrive for real—and those planes would take on a more menacing aura…

d2fafc1a.jpg

14f79c0c.jpg

a501213a.jpg

b93af40c.jpg

72025139.jpg

65c580dd.jpg

c9feca10.jpg

00d2ea21.jpg

one forgets how massive the rail lands were. wow...

i imagine this is sometime in the early 1950's, as there is no evidence of modernism in the skyline.
also, it is before the construction of the Gardiner, but it looks like the clearances have started along the bottom, south of Fort York, west of Bathurst...

5cde2163.jpg

Last edited:
what's the deal with Queens Quay? when was that carved out of the harbour lands? it looks like it barely existed back then...

thedeepend, wonderful Imperial Era military related ephemera. Thank you for digging these up.

thedeepend: I would suspect that the large aerial dates to around 1951, given the gleaming white nature of the Bank of Nova Scotia, completed that year.

The WWI collection is quite poignant and makes one realize how powerful the "call to arms" must have been to young men at the time. The tragedy of this "lost generation" pervades any pre-1914 photos of university students, knowing as we do now the horrors that awaited them a few years later.

Trinity College Medical Students:

trinitymedstudents.jpg

what's the deal with Queens Quay? when was that carved out of the harbour lands? it looks like it barely existed back then...

Queen's Quay as we know it did exist--but only as far west as the Maple Leaf Mills silos at the foot of Spadina; when they were demolished in 1983/84, it was extended westward to Bathurst...

Those half-naked, grubby, shop-worn medical students look quite deranged. I assume it was some sort of initiation ceremony - I'd hate to think that's how they normally dressed.

Those half-naked, grubby, shop-worn medical students look quite deranged. I assume it was some sort of initiation ceremony - I'd hate to think that's how they normally dressed.

Good observation! They do look rather like they've been 'up to no good'. Perhaps they’ve just finished a round of roughhousing or horseplay, or perhaps been engaged in some monkeyshines, tomfoolery, shenanigans, rascality or roguery. It’s also possible they’ve just finished hazing ‘the new boy’.

Back