News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Mustapha's picture in "Now and Then" of the wall at Belmont House got me thinking about the lost world of walls and fencing in the city. Whereas today we speak of the "public" realm, once there was also a "semi-public" realm: private space that was visible by the public. That elegant line of wrought-iron separated the two worlds and created a transition between them. Various reasons account for their disappearance around churches and public buildings, the most common one being the egalitarian desire to "open-up" these semi-public spaces to all. Something has been lost by their elimination.

f1244_it0321.jpg

s0071_it9428.jpg

i love these very elaborate hand carved wooden gates on north Yonge in Bedford Park. Knockaloe was the estate of James Metcalfe.

i imagine this kind of hand carved fence would have been quite unusual, and i imagine that the extremes of cold and hot weather in Toronto would have led to its fairly rapid degradation. in any case, it doesn't seem to have lasted past the mid-20's...

"At the time of the dinner — if it happened — Metcalfe was definitely on one of his highs, busy building an impressive new home on a farm property north of Lawrence. Located on the site of today’s Blessed Sacrament Separate School, the impressive two-and-a-half storey estate was surrounded by landscaped gardens and a menagerie of exotic Australian birds: peacocks, cockatoos and pheasants. Everything was fenced in, including his prized horses and Holstein cattle, with the Crown jewel being his garishly carved white gates on Yonge Street, imported from England."

2db0db38.jpg

481bfd69.jpg

915c27e0.jpg

401d7a90.jpg

I can better envision the operational fort in this state than I can when visiting the primped and tidy Fort of current time.

I can better envision the operational fort in this state than I can when visiting the primped and tidy Fort of current time.

What I love about this photo is the utter casualness of visiting the fort, reminiscent of 19th century views of the Acropolis or the Roman forum, an age prior to mass-tourism and one in which the ruins of the past are part of the landscape. One would suspect the old abandoned Front Street provincial parliament buildings existed in the same context for a few decades before their demolition, as the world around it changed.

oldparliament1910.jpg

1834:

1978_41_30_watercolour_m.jpg

1858:

1858-1-1.jpg

1884:

1884-1.jpg

1910:

e010757076-v8-1.jpg

Last edited:
thecharioteer: How interesting that a waterworks existed just about smack dab where the Rogers Centre is now.

More Fences

Those beautifully carved fence posts, shown to us by 'thedeepend', reminded me of a couple of other fences that I have admired.

These, although not in Toronto, are unique since the stone posts were built to resemble cigars.

SevenMileIslandfence.jpg

And these, with terra-cotta turets and octagonal piers, are from the Product Exchange Building (demolished in 1980). They are found today within the grounds of the Guild Inn (Scarborough). The wrought iron gates are from the Gibson House in Rosedale.

Guildgates.jpg

Those beautifully carved fence posts, shown to us by 'thedeepend', reminded me of a couple of other fences that I have admired.

These, although not in Toronto, are unique since the stone posts were built to resemble cigars.

SevenMileIslandfence.jpg

And these, with terra-cotta turets and octagonal piers, are from the Product Exchange Building (demolished in 1980). They are found today within the grounds of the Guild Inn (Scarborough). The wrought iron gates are from the Gibson House in Rosedale.

Guildgates.jpg

thanks for posting those Goldie! very interesting...

there is at least one property in Toronto that has a fence somewhat similar to those cigar shapes--been racking my brain trying to remember where in the city it is! might be around High Park....

Last edited:
Brilliant set of pics, deepend! The combination of workers, management and building shots evokes the living organism that was G&W. Though we are, of course, lucky that the complex has been preserved, one can't help but think about what has been lost in terms of human vitality after seeing these photos.

I had no idea the Gooderham people were involved in chemical production as well. The scenes give me the shivers though: modern chemistry and chemical production involves minimal personal contact with these agents, layers of personal protective equipment, and static-discharge devices. I wonder how many injuries were experienced in this facility?

"I wonder how many injuries were experienced in this facility?" QUOTE. College Park

Not as many as in the Great War!

Regards,
J T

Back