News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I had no idea the Gooderham people were involved in chemical production as well. The scenes give me the shivers though: modern chemistry and chemical production involves minimal personal contact with these agents, layers of personal protective equipment, and static-discharge devices. I wonder how many injuries were experienced in this facility?

I didn't know this either. Came across this in a collection of oral interviews with G&W employees:

"As I understood it, Trinity Street closed during the first World War when it became
a war plant producing acetone. They put the fence around it. Actually, it was patrolled
from inside by armed guards and what have you. The story goes, and I heard this from
O.D. Johnston and some things I have read about, that during the first World War, the
British were losing the battle and so they did a survey of the front line officers and asked,
"What's the problem?". They said, "Well, we can't spit at them, we need ammunition.".
At the time, production of cordite required acetone. Acetone was being produced by all
the British distillers as much as they could produce but it was not enough. So, the
Gooderhams, being expatriate Brits, were approached by the British government because
G & W, at that time, was the largest distillery in the world, and the Gooderhams turned
over the production plant to acetone entirely and didn't charge them. They changed the
name to British Acetones and very shortly after that, tank car after tank car - there are
some pictures of rail lines of tank cars outside the property - were going to Britain. I am
not sure where I got this information, maybe Stephen [Otto, historian] or Mike Filey told
me, but there was a change in the fighting during that period of time. There was sort of a
lull in the fighting and apparently the British Secret Service let out information on
purpose to say something like there was going to be a big push months from now. So, the
Germans stopped the offensive to prepare for this big push and it was really created so
they could get more acetone in Britain, to delay, to get the ammunition back up again."

thecharioteer: How interesting that a waterworks existed just about smack dab where the Rogers Centre is now.

That was the original location of what is now known as The John Street Pumping Station. The station was operational during the early part of Skydome's construction. In

this photo

you can see it. It's the round brick tower in the lower left portion of the image.

It was disconnected and demolished sometime in the spring or summer of 1988, upon completion of the new station at the south end of the property.

http://www.rvanderson.com/disciplines/waterprojects/john_street_wps.shtml describes the project from an engineering point of view.

Last edited:
Speaking of Gooderham and Worts, in 1976 they held a dinner dance at Casa Loma:

GW.jpg

GW2.jpg

GW3.jpg

GW4.jpg

GW5.jpg

GW6.jpg

GW7.jpg

German medal?

The medal on the chap at left looks a lot like a WWI German medal for bravery.. Interesting, no? He couldn't be wearing such a thing in 1918 in Canada though could he???

Attachments

• 326aad65.jpg
    326aad65.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 312
  • m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 320
The medal on the chap at left looks a lot like a WWI German medal for bravery.. Interesting, no? He couldn't be wearing such a thing in 1918 in Canada though could he???

It could be the Victoria Cross - certainly similar in appearance.

Attachments

• victoria_cross_VC_medal.jpg
    victoria_cross_VC_medal.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 299
Speaking of Gooderham and Worts, in 1976 they held a dinner dance at Casa Loma:

GW7.jpg

seeing these makes me wonder when Casa Loma passed from being a living breathing house, into the hollowed and lifeless hulk it became. the people in these images appear to be simply attending a grand traditional party at a fine old home. in other words, there seems to be a spirit and energy left in the left in these spaces, even this late in the century....

i am also reminded that these kinds of Scottish (or English, or Irish) Dances continue to this day, often complete with period dress....its a small community of practitioners but they are still out there. of course, its mainly young-ish people who participate now....

The young people are the best ones; they can carry the traditions on.

Do they still book events like this in the public rooms at Casa Loma? If not they really should.

One of the most lovely buildings in lower downtown is the Dineen Building, opened in the spring of 1897. The exterior is in remarkable shape, i think mainly because it was never painted. unfortunately the ground floor has had decades of abuse. As well, the interior is in rough ramshackle shape, although there are many original features, most now covered . My fantasy is that someone will redevelop the property and restore the interior and ground floor to its original condition. It’s on a great corner, seconds from Trump, BA and the CBD. in the end, one wonders whether lower Yonge will ever be able to support the high end tenants that would be necessary to restore this beauty.

a8c46141.gif

3a2bdf16.gif

28bd2dd5.gif

396d884d.gif

6b654a23.gif

34a8a02c.gif

dbbc67ed.gif

90711c29.gif

4b9d799a.gif

f959a254.gif

4ac3cc32.png

d977afc8.jpg

71cb4130.jpg

9f0eae29.jpg

e5a3083b.jpg

Last edited:
One of my most lovely buildings in lower downtown is the Dineen Building, opened in the spring of 1897. The exterior is in remarkable shape, i think mainly because it was never painted. unfortunately the ground floor has had decades of abuse. As well, the interior is in rough ramshackle shape, although there are many original features, most now covered . My fantasy is that someone will redevelop the property and restore the interior and ground floor to its original condition. It’s on a great corner, seconds from Trump, BA and the CBD. in the end, one wonders whether lower Yonge will ever be able to support the high end tenants that would be necessary to restore this beauty.

Great pics!
This has always been one of my favourite buildings too - such great character and really wears its age well (on the outside at least)..

Wow, and I thought I was the only one who was in love with that building. I fear it will meet the wrecking ball before anyone tries to restore it.

One of my most lovely buildings in lower downtown is the Dineen Building, opened in the spring of 1897. The exterior is in remarkable shape, i think mainly because it was never painted. unfortunately the ground floor has had decades of abuse. As well, the interior is in rough ramshackle shape, although there are many original features, most now covered . My fantasy is that someone will redevelop the property and restore the interior and ground floor to its original condition. It’s on a great corner, seconds from Trump, BA and the CBD. in the end, one wonders whether lower Yonge will ever be able to support the high end tenants that would be necessary to restore this beauty.

Brilliant post! I don't get by there much but when I do this building never fails to catch my attention and my imagination. I've always wondered what lies inside, beyond the windows of old buildings like this.

Great post of the Dineen Building.

One of the photos shows the staircase, and what I really found evocative was the worn stair treads. Only years of people going up and down the stairs will give a wear pattern like that. Even in a forlorn building like the Dineen, it's a reminder that thousands of people once used the space.

NB: it isn't just the ground floor that needs fixing--the cornice is missing, too, plus some of the second-floor balconies. Otherwise, definitely a case of "benign neglect" diamond-in-the-rough at its best--every inch of Dineen oozes character.

71cb4130.jpg

Now, *that's* a fascinating shot--right after the old Arcade Building was burnt and cleared away, around the time when Yonge's post-subway cleanup was being finalized...

Last edited:

Back