News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

JerryLewis.jpg

One thing's for certain: even if the CNE was in danger of falling into anachronism t/w the end of the 60s, it wasn't going to go down without fighting--at least from the POV of graphic design...

Great pics!
This has always been one of my favourite buildings too - such great character and really wears its age well (on the outside at least)..

It is designated by Ciity - though as we know that's not much help tp preserve buildings!

Address: 142 YONGE ST

Ward: 28
List Date: Nov 21, 1973
Intention Date: Jan 30, 2008
By-Law:
Part IV Date:
Part V Date:
Heritage District: N/A
District Status: N/A
Heritage Easement Ag:
Registration Date:
Building Type: Commercial
Architect/Builder:
Construction Yr.:
Details: Dineen Building, 1897, F.H. Herbert, at Temperance St. (NW) -adopted by City Council on Nov. 21 & 23, 1973; Intention to Designated adopted Jan. 29 & 30, 2008
Demolition Date:
Primary Address: 2 TEMPERANCE ST

I've also had fantasies of this building being restored. I used to work in there as a jewelery courier when I was a teen. The building was full of jewellers and jewelery repair shops and Birks was right across the street. The newspaper article mentions an elevator - I wonder if it's still there.

Dropped by this building today to try and find the elevator and although it's sealed off, it's behind the black wood on the right of the first pic. Also talked to the building manager. He said all of the building is rented except for one office which he rents out to people who want a cool space for a private event. This week it will be rented to the crew shooting Nikita. He said most of the top floor is rented to a lawyer who's stuck in the 80's. All the furniture in there hasn't changed in 30 years and he said the guy even dresses in 80's style clothes. Worth a visit one day.

dineen1.jpg

dineen2.jpg

Dropped by this building today to try and find the elevator and although it's sealed off, it's behind the black wood on the right of the first pic. Also talked to the building manager. He said all of the building is rented except for one office which he rents out to people who want a cool space for a private event. This week it will be rented to the crew shooting Nikita. He said most of the top floor is rented to a lawyer who's stuck in the 80's. All the furniture in there hasn't changed in 30 years and he said the guy even dresses in 80's style clothes. Worth a visit one day.

dineen1.jpg

dineen2.jpg

yes, i saw that lawyer's office when i was there. i was tempted to knock on the door and ask if i could take a few shots, but it looked kind of sketchy. a little too Coen Brothers for me...

35cdc9f8.png

Sheila is lovely for sure. Interesting also the man in the white suit, black tie, silver hair and horn rim glasses doing a Colonel Sanders thing...

"doing a Colonel Sanders thing..." QUOTE. Mustapha

Is that not "THE MAYOR OF ALL THE PEOPLE"?

Regards,
J T

Back