News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

"The glass and steel roof is made up of 1,656 pairs of glass windowpanes; each of a unique shape because of the undulating nature of the roof." QUOTE. thedeepend.

The above is a thing that did NOT happen when building ROY THOMPSON HALL. The rooftop was to be an elipse. "Too costly", was the thought due to the unique glass shaping.

Should have beaten K T over the head!

Regards,
J T

"The glass and steel roof is made up of 1,656 pairs of glass windowpanes; each of a unique shape because of the undulating nature of the roof." QUOTE. thedeepend.

The above is a thing that did NOT happen when building ROY THOMPSON HALL. The rooftop was to be an elipse. "Too costly", was the thought due to the unique glass shaping.

Should have beaten K T over the head!

Regards,
J T

Yes i remember that whole incident very well--the jettisoning of the original roof was an early example of something we've all become very familiar with--ROM, OCAD, et al--its the same old sad corner-cutting that obliterates any chance of a building becoming truly great--rather than just being passably 'OK'. As we see with ROM and Roy Thomson especially, this penny--pinching in public buildings is usually a recipe for total mediocrity....

It is my personal belief that the 'OK-ness' of so much Toronto architecture is at the heart of what defines us as a city--sadly. We are awash in 'OK' materials, 'OK developments, 'OK' designs. Clearly there are very important exceptions, exceptional developers, exceptional minds, exceptional architects, but by and large Toronto is a city defined by its lack of truly challenging work.

Of course, one of the reasons change is hard is that our expectations are so low. We are comfortable with mediocrity; we make allowances for developers that cheap out; we boost projects that are clearly substandard. And like many colonies, we are a Tall Poppy people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

I am always struck by how defensive many posters get when others criticize CRAP developments like Uptown, ROCP or Crystal Blah. It amazing to me how low the bar is being set. Its as if we feel that we don't deserve better. And then there is the problem of "Toronto Boosters No Matter What"; and the skyscraper geeks ejaculating over every piece of garbage over 45 stories. When you get posters pathetically claiming that they think the Uptown is better than Rockefeller Center—

"Sorry my friend, I have been there many times and I do prefer the Uptown. It’s younger and fresher yet still holds that sexy, tall retro feel."--

You just have to shake your head...and realize how far we've got to go....

Perhaps it's still our village mentality. As a local wag once said: "Toronto has the finest collection of second-rate buildings in the world."

Fortunately, one of the few developments which did not succomb to this mentaility was the BCE Galleria.

galleria2.jpg

Perhaps it's still our village mentality. As a local wag once said: "Toronto has the finest collection of second-rate buildings in the world."

Fortunately, one of the few developments which did not succomb to this mentaility was the BCE Galleria.

galleria2.jpg

thank you for that! seeing that makes me feel better....

Not sure if any of these pics have been posted before. They're from the Eaton's Archives within the Ontario Government Archives site (http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/on-line-exhibits/eatons-windows/index.aspx). A few of the shots are from Montreal and Winnipeg.

a81f4837.jpg

c1933e21.jpg

4b205b68.jpg

I’ve always liked the Busby Berkeley style arrangements that window designers used to employ. These sorts of arrangements were very common in World Fair's and International Expositions as well….

(Knives, tools, scissors etc were commonly used in these formations because their shapes lent themselves to a kind of mandala-like patterning)

Another important device that used to very common was the arranging and grouping of an excessive number of similarly shaped or conceptually related items to create elaborate displays…

These are from the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, San Francisco 1915,

d4791f55.jpg

cfeab663.jpg

on a related note, you can see the Canadian Pavilion, poking through on the left in this shot of the 1893 Columbian Exposition on Chicago...

these late 19th early 20th century World Fairs were places where historicism ran amok!

867d532b.jpg

Last edited:
The Victorians have a lot to answer for. The exhibits in the Great Exhibition of 1851, for instance, were a horror show of what mass-production combined with the spirit of Mock Goth unleashed upon a world used to restrained Georgian minimalism in design and home furnishings produced by craftsmen.

Back