News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A return to the Simpson's block and the evolution of the SW corner of Yonge and Richmond (former home of Child's Restaurant).

First, the only pic I've ever seen of the rear of Knox's Church on Richmond, looking west from Yonge 1897:

richmondyonge.jpg

Same view, 1927:

richmondwest1927.jpg

yongerichmond4.jpg

SW corner of Yonge & Richmond 1950:

yongerichmond1950.jpg

yongerichmond3.jpg

yongerichmond2.jpg

1954:

kresges.jpg

1971:

yongerichmond1971.jpg

News Boys

I love this detail in the 1922 view of Richmond St. W.

Attachments

• news boys.jpg
    news boys.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 239
Thanks to Anna for reminding me of this pic, completing the Kresge shots above:

kresges2.jpg

Also, ran across this great pic in the huge Yonge subway files. Given their safety boots and proximity to construction, they must be "VIP's". There's a whole world of pics of people watching construction.....

yonge.jpg

Last edited:

This image really does have a wealth of extraordinary detail in it. The reflected pedestrians in the plate glass windows, the glimpse of the restaurant interior through the glass, the newspaper salesman in conversation with a customer, the fashionable fur collars on the women’s coats, the beautiful lighting fixtures curving outward from the building, the boy speeding by on his bike in front of the United Cigar Store….quite an amazing tapestry of individual moments…

c644a751.gif

19cca3a0.gif

b90beb0c.gif

In the Mayor's shoes.

Also, ran across this great pic in the huge Yonge subway files. Given their safety boots and proximity to construction, they must be "VIP's".

Isn't that the Mayor?

Attachments

• Mayor.jpg
    Mayor.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 222
This image really does have a wealth of extraordinary detail in it. The reflected pedestrians in the plate glass windows, the glimpse of the restaurant interior through the glass,

...and I suppose there's reflected glory in the downtown Sunset Grill now being situated where Child's once was...

That's a wonderful shot of the old Star Building.
Would the name in the window, "Pellatt," be the same Pellatt who built Casa Loma?
And that mysterious figure in the window on the right - intriguing! Isn't that a 'stock ticker' behing him?

In the 1st pic take note of the drinking station, (for horse + man) also that the roof leaders

are connected to an underground drainage system.

Regards,
J T

Do you have a date for those wonderful images of St. Lawrence Hall?

no dates on either of those images i'm afraid! not a lot to go on either, a few clothing details, some commercial signage...

Both of those images appear in this report, which claims they are from 1898:

http://www.toronto.ca/stlawrence_market/design/pdf/stlawrencemrktarchrep1.pdf

However, the first image has a sign that reads: “Park & Thompson removed to King Street.†The 1901 directory list Park & Thompson at 41-46 St. Lawrence Market, but in 1903 they are listed at 159 King East. The building looks as though the tenants have cleared out for its demolition, which I think occurred in 1903 or early 1904.

Back