News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

My information is that ..."in 1938, a 500-lb. chunk of one of the gargoyles fell off, tearing a hole in the roof and landing in the attic. Soon after that, all four gargoyles were removed in the interest of public safety.
Replica gargoyles were installed in 2002."
This info from: http://www.traditionalproductreports.com/roofing-copper.html

Gargoyles.jpg

My information is that ..."in 1938, a 500-lb. chunk of one of the gargoyles fell off, tearing a hole in the roof and landing in the attic. Soon after that, all four gargoyles were removed in the interest of public safety.
Replica gargoyles were installed in 2002."
This info from: http://www.traditionalproductreports.com/roofing-copper.html

View attachment 191947
I think the gargoyle drop was in 1921:

A gargoyle is removed from City Hall after dropping its jaw through the city hall roof. Photo of the gargoyle being installed 20 years ago. Head weighs 500 lbs. Jaw dropped 100 ft through the attic and almost killed a city hall worker in the Works Department draughting room. The city architect wants the dozens of gargoyles to be removed now. It was the gargoyle at the NE corner of the tower which fell yesterday. This gargoyle made of New Brunswick sandstone. These seem to be crumbling in the city air. This gargoyle was 250 ft above ground level, one of 4 around the tower (Toronto Star 9 Mar 1921 p. 1).

The Property Commissioner reports that repairs to the stonework are proceeding. The stonework on the gargoyles was very defective and the stone needs to be removed. Recommended for urgent removal by the City Architect and the stone masons consulted. Scott Bros., stone masons reports that the gargoyle on the SW corner is in fair condition, the others on the other corners are in poor shape. Head, neck, paws of gargoyles to be cut away. George Oakley & Son stonemasons finds the gargoyles dangerous, weather worn and liable to fall at any time, danger of loose pieces falling (Toronto City Council Minutes 1921 Appendix A Property #7 8 Apr 1921 p. 530-531).

The city hall gargoyles are in dangerous condition and are to be cut away. Heads and necks are to go, and perhaps the rest (Toronto Star 8 Apr 1921 p. 14).

Halfway House - Kingston Rd, at Midland, NW corner, 1910
Halfway House - Kingston Rd, at Midland 1910.jpg

Update (July 2):
After some restorations, it was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1966.
Replaced on Kingston Rd. by a brick Post Office which then became a "fitness" centre by 2011.

Halfway House replacement 1-2011.jpg

Halfway House replacement 2-2011.jpg

Last edited:
If it was in *that* shape by then, I wonder how it managed to last another 50 years before being moved to Pioneer Village (unless it underwent some kind of rehab/proto-restoration in the interim)

If it was in *that* shape by then, I wonder how it managed to last another 50 years before being moved to Pioneer Village (unless it underwent some kind of rehab/proto-restoration in the interim)

It looks to me that a lot of what is seen is either lens or film distortion. It does seem to sage across its width, which is not uncommon in older buildings because of overspan/undersized beams and joists and inadequate foundation support, but the ridgeline looks flat. Our former 1890s farmhouse sagged to the centre until we put jackposts in, but that didn't mean it wasn't solid.

Parlament St. Methodist (United) Church?... This photo may be the church's Ruskin Literary Debating Society TPL
Parlament St. Methodist (United) Church?... This photo may be the church's Ruskin Literary Deb...jpg

The Ruskin Debating Society was active in 1904, and possibly at other times. These clubs were rather masculine, and favoured by churches which frowned on alcohol and theatres.

Rhodes Ave. Presbyterian (United) Church, (construction of annex) N-W corner Gerrard St. E. at Rhodes Ave. 1909 TPL
Rhodes Ave. Presbyterian (United) Church, (construction of annex) N-W corner Gerrard St. E. at...jpg

Rhodes Ave. Presbyterian (United) Church, (construction of annex) N-W corner Gerrard St. E. at Rhodes Ave. 1909 TPL
View attachment 192873
What a clever idea to have them hold the tools of their trade. Why are so many wearing shirt and tie? Is that what they wore for construction work? Did they dress up for photo day? Maybe it was taken one Sunday after church and they put their overalls and aprons on over their good clothes. Such an interesting photo with creative direction!

Back