News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Other than something for which one normally receives a ticket, what charge then do you consider easy to prove?

The two that I've noted above I consider to be more sensible and thus, less difficult to argue.

If the charges were negligence causing bodily harm and dangerous driving causing bodily harm, Bryant may have a very good chance of getting a conviction.

However, the crown will have a hard time trying to prove anything causing death.

One way of helping someone off a case is to lay charges against them that is difficult to prove.

did you read this one?

OK, UD2. Your debating "style" is not really contributing much to this thread at this time. I'd suggest, without any further information about this case at this time, to cool the jets.

Holy bias Batman! That blogger needs some perspective.

His source is a New York Times article, published the day after the accident, that is sparse on details and leads you to draw conclusions like he did.

The NYT doesn't have a Canada bureau anymore does it? If so, I'm not surprised they would cobble together a story from wire reports that is misleading and lacking details.

Who can the former attorney-general thank for salvaging his image? Not his PR firm
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/michael-bryants-spin-class/article1293697/
Michael Bryant's spin class
BY JOE FRIESEN
Toronto — Globe and Mail
Last updated on Saturday, Sep. 19, 2009 03:13AM EDT

Bryant and bike courier a class issue
http://www.thestar.com/living/article/697394
Sep 18, 2009 04:30 AM
ANTONIA ZERBISIAS
"A journalist's job is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable."

Attributed to American critic H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

On Sept. 1, after former Ontario attorney-general Michael Bryant was charged with "criminal negligence causing death" and "dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death," there wasn't much comforting the afflicted.

Anyway, bicycle courier Darcy Allan Sheppard was more than afflicted.

He had been left bleeding from his nose and mouth on Bloor St., only to die in hospital after allegedly being bashed against a mailbox while hanging on to Bryant's convertible.

These are the claims that Toronto has learned from witnesses, police and media reports.

There is no dispute that, not only did Bryant engage one of the best criminal lawyers money could buy, he lined up a top-tier communications firm called Navigator to handle his public representations and, as the Star reported, shopped for a private investigator to dig up evidence.

It's very difficult not to remark on the unfair physical match between a cyclist and a motorist.

It's also tough not to notice the imbalance between a once-promising politician and the unfortunate product of just about the very worst sequence of disadvantages any Canadian can be born into.

So yes, this is very much a class issue.

Since that tragic late summer evening which has divided this city – cyclist v. motorist, rich v. poor, right v. left, pitbull lover v. Bryant's hated legislation – there's been much ink spilled on whether Sheppard was drunk, whether he grabbed Bryant's wheel, whether he slammed his backpack on the hood, as well as his past.

Just this week in Maclean's, for example, there is no sympathy spared for the victim.

But, as former Olympic cyclist and cycling lawyer Bob Mionske outlines on Bicycling.com, it's all spin.

"Why do I think it's spin?" he asks. "Because details about Sheppard's ancient run-ins with the law over stolen cheques had nothing to do with what happened the night of his death. Neither did stories about noise complaints from neighbours, or his problems with alcohol ... But they had everything to do with shaping public opinion, turning the public against Sheppard, and in support of Bryant."

That's why you can't help but get the impression that some people are more equal than others.

Except that now, Twitter and YouTube have brought yet another perspective. Which brings us to @BryantTruths and HonestEdits.

HonestEdits, who has been posting surveillance videos from the scene on YouTube, prefers to remain anonymous. HonestEdits' videos, compressed for clarity, string together two clips in a chronological sequence that the corporate media have not presented.

True, they're not exactly high-definition. (Try an iPhone.) And they may not tell the whole story. In fact, last week, when the first video popped up, the Bryant camp, via its blog, denounced its narration as "inaccurate and one-sided."

Now that post is gone – but I have screen grabs.

Interestingly, what's not gone is the video, plus others since added, now viewed some 40,000 times, collectively, and on various blogs.

PR pro and and cycling advocate Don Wiedman is @BryantTruths, tweeting what he calls "the other side of the story."

He does it because he feels that the PR profession is getting a bad name – and also because he has found himself in street face-offs with "guys in their 40s in big black cars."

As he told me, "I want a better world. I want to fight for the underdog."

Which is what journalism should be about.

Meanwhile, the Navigator-produced bryantfacts.wordpress.com and tweets (@BryantFacts) have scaled back – with the former now containing only a terse announcement that it "will be used for the release of any official statements."

Bryant will have his day in court next month – and, presumably, a trial will eventually follow.

As both Weidman and Honest-Edits tell me, Sheppard may be dead – he won't be silenced.

Antonia Zerbisias is a Living section columnist. azerbisias@thestar.ca. She blogs at thestar.blogs.com.

have you guys seen this video yet? :eek: (I think the city tv link was posted earlier, but I missed it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFISP_PrhFo&annotation_id=annotation_55150&feature=iv

Last edited:
OK, UD2. Your debating "style" is not really contributing much to this thread at this time. I'd suggest, without any further information about this case at this time, to cool the jets.

I'm curious as to know why this is? And I'm also curious to know how I came across as "debating".

So if you don't mind too much. Send me a msg or something.

thanks,

Last edited:
Foxbar Rd @ Av Rd street sign missing

Over the past month I've noticed the sign missing from Foxbar Rd here, as per google streetview:

http://bit.ly/8YhAEw

A photo I took 2 weeks ago:

dsc01177z.jpg

Hmm, I wonder if Bryant was a nobody would the same strings be pulled? (Haven't read anything in the local media about this issue either.)

Is removing the street sign legal?

The point I'm making is the suggestion that Bryant's connections in Toronto allowed him to have the sign removed--which could become a safety issue in emergencies etc.

Are street signs commonly removed from average criminals' streets when there's a media story?

So I'm basically thinking the signs were removed because some curious folk wanted to find out which house Bryant lives in. The truth is, that house is easily exposed via Google Street view--just look for the black Saab convertible in the driveway...:D

What I'm wondering--is removing the signs 100% kosher?

Back