News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Here's the thing. Eliminating those parking lots would take away alot of space used for hosting events.

The trucks associated with the Royal Winter Fair, One of a kind show, etc are all parked there. In some cases we are talking cube vans, in others full on trailers. Those things cannot fit underground or in the loading dock for the enercare centre (due to space).

Furthermore, as for the Indy seating you can't really put it anywhere other than the parking lots. The track is literally on the roads through Exhibition Place and I doubt anyone wants to watch the race from inside a building via CCTV.
They're going to have to figure out something and make a decision in the next few weeks regarding the future of the IndyCar race. The limited space now available to be used for the pit lane in 2022 was described as "dangerous" and unacceptable, and there is expected to be a higher number of cars entered for 2023, requiring more space. After sending e-mails in September to previous ticket buyers saying ticket renewals would begin in November, they then told them it would be delayed until spring of 2023. Although no reason was specified, uncertainty over how everything will be set up would seem to be likely. If the second hotel and entertainment venue is still happening, that will further reduce possible space available.
Interestingly, Formula E "talks with ... Toronto’s Exhibition Place fell through", after in recent years being kicked out of Montreal, then Vancouver, and their contract for a New York City event not being renewed.

They're going to have to figure out something and make a decision in the next few weeks regarding the future of the IndyCar race. The limited space now available to be used for the pit lane in 2022 was described as "dangerous" and unacceptable, and there is expected to be a higher number of cars entered for 2023, requiring more space. After sending e-mails in September to previous ticket buyers saying ticket renewals would begin in November, they then told them it would be delayed until spring of 2023. Although no reason was specified, uncertainty over how everything will be set up would seem to be likely. If the second hotel and entertainment venue is still happening, that will further reduce possible space available.
Interestingly, Formula E "talks with ... Toronto’s Exhibition Place fell through", after in recent years being kicked out of Montreal, then Vancouver, and their contract for a New York City event not being renewed.

Honestly, I can see the Indy being done and over with.

Exhibition Place is being developed more and more and in doing so has changed the layout of what was one the track. There are far too many buildings now, less space and it is being shoehorned in for the sake of Tourism dollars.

I would rather have it relocated to Downsview where there is more space.

Who says you can't have housing and a street race.

1017526578-SUT-20190526-MS2_3698.jpg

Sort of on topic. I attended my first show at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre recently and was quite underwhelmed. I like being able to walk over to a pub or restaurant before or after and it's in the middle of a restaurant desert.

Also, the theatre interior has this weird 90s Cineplex vibe. It lacks the charm of comparable sized 1,000ish seat venues like The Danforth Music Hall.

1675203107944.png

Source

Honestly, I can see the Indy being done and over with.

Exhibition Place is being developed more and more and in doing so has changed the layout of what was one the track. There are far too many buildings now, less space and it is being shoehorned in for the sake of Tourism dollars.

I would rather have it relocated to Downsview where there is more space.
It would almost certainly be possible to come up with some plan to physically shift things around in a way that would fit without looking as crowded as Monaco. But the more practical obstacle might be the cost. Since it returned in 2009, without Molson running it, the event would appear to have been kept alive by avoiding major expenditures. In recent years even the fences, concrete barriers, etc., have been looking increasingly old and in need of replacing. If the race promoters can't afford that, they presumably wouldn't be able to pay for a lot of new road work and construction, moving utilities (street lights, traffic lights, fire hydrants, drainage grates, sidewalks, curbs), and I would assume also could not afford to start all over again at a different location.
The other IndyCar races that had existed in Canada (Edmonton, Vancouver) ended because they were not financially sustainable.

Last edited:
They might as well just allow them to race on a Gardiner/427/401/DVP circuit in mixed traffic, like the cops allow on any regular summer night.

Sort of on topic. I attended my first show at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre recently and was quite underwhelmed. I like being able to walk over to a pub or restaurant before or after and it's in the middle of a restaurant desert.

Also, the theatre interior has this weird 90s Cineplex vibe. It lacks the charm of comparable sized 1,000ish seat venues like The Danforth Music Hall.

View attachment 453558
Source
I attended my first show there ever last year and came away with the same impression. In fact, when I bought my tickets I had to look the place up; I somehow had no idea it existed. I was mixed on the acoustics as well. That said, it wasn't too bad a walk to Liberty Village, cutting through Exhibition GO, for pre-show dinner. Maybe a 10 minute walk if I recall? Could be better though, for sure.

View attachment 453558
Source
They should upgrade and expand the theatre so that it could be used as the CNE's "grandstand" or as a year round venue.
67380557_2887418841328081_8887483144513519616_n.jpg

three-stooges-cne.jpg

This list of 2022 Exhibition Place projects - coming to their Board next week - is a bit depressing when you see the number of projects cancelled due to the City budget reduction last year. Particularly so because many would have given cost savings and the situation with the City budget shows signs of getting MUCH worse.

Regarding my preceding posts about the IndyCar race, I have read that the likely solution could be that the pit lane will not be made longer, but will instead be made wider to allow cars to have pit stops on both sides of it. That type of set-up is now being used in Detroit (where their race has been relocated to downtown from Belle Isle). This sounds realistic, but for the moment it's just a guess and the 2022 map is still displayed on the Honda Indy website. Some repaving has already been done and there will soon likely be more.
Edit: I think they made the pit lane slightly longer at one or both ends, and were able to use the previously unused area underneath the foot bridge.

Last edited:
It looks like the waterfront along Exhibition Place is getting a ‘Vegas’ style water show/fountain during the Ex. Interesting as this could be a real draw and potentially becoming permanent. Maybe Olafur Elliason?! (Joking) 🤔

It looks like the waterfront along Exhibition Place is getting a ‘Vegas’ style water show/fountain during the Ex. Interesting as this could be a real draw and potentially becoming permanent. Maybe Olafur Elliason?! (Joking) 🤔

I hope you aren't joking re: Olafur Elliason.

AoD

Back