News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Fairview Mall is now the 12th most productive mall in North America with sales of $880 PSF.

source: http://www.retail-insider.com/

Here is our list of 'top 15' North American malls and their sales per square foot:

1. Pacific Centre, Vancouver BC Canada: $1580/sq ft
2. Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas NV USA: $1470/sq ft
3. Toronto Eaton Centre, Toronto ON Canada: $1320/sq ft
4. Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Toronto ON Canada: $1300/sq ft
5. Ala Moana Shopping Centre, Honolulu HI USA: $1250/sq ft
6. Oakridge Shopping Centre, Vancouver BC Canada: $1200/sq ft
7. Chinook Centre, Calgary AB Canada: $1055/sq ft
8. Mall at Short Hills, Short Hills NJ USA: $1050/sq ft
9. Mall at Millenia, Orlando FL USA: $1040/sq ft
10. Rideau Centre, Ottawa ON Canada: $1020/sq ft
11: Sherway Gardens, Toronto ON Canada: $950
12: Fairview Mall, Toronto ON Canada: $880/sq ft
13: Fashion Valley Shopping Centre, San Diego CA USA: $875/sq ft
14: Peter Pond Mall, Ft. McMurray AB Canada: $850/sq ft (we're not joking about this one)
15: Garden State Plaza, Paramus NJ USA: $750/sq ft

Visited Fairview with the family today. Needed shorts for my daughter. It's no wonder people are migrating to online. We visited both Sears and the Bay and could not find the shorts section and could not find any staff to help us. The only visible staff were the cashiers, all of which were serving long lines of customers. Sears is nearly broke, so we'll cut them some slack, but HBC, here's a hint, when you see a family wandering the aisles looking for help, you should have floor staff who are NOT assigned to a cash station to offer assistance. If your business model cannot afford that, then we're going to walk and return to online shopping.

Visited Fairview with the family today. Needed shorts for my daughter. It's no wonder people are migrating to online. We visited both Sears and the Bay and could not find the shorts section and could not find any staff to help us. The only visible staff were the cashiers, all of which were serving long lines of customers. Sears is nearly broke, so we'll cut them some slack, but HBC, here's a hint, when you see a family wandering the aisles looking for help, you should have floor staff who are NOT assigned to a cash station to offer assistance. If your business model cannot afford that, then we're going to walk and return to online shopping.

I was stopped three times at the Bay last week by staff asking if I needed help, when I ran in to buy socks and looked briefly at dress shirts. I was there for about 15 minutes before hitting the cash. But that was Queen Street, not Fairview.

I was stopped three times at the Bay last week by staff asking if I needed help, when I ran in to buy socks and looked briefly at dress shirts. I was there for about 15 minutes before hitting the cash. But that was Queen Street, not Fairview.

The Queen Street Store exists on a completely different level than any of the suburban outposts, or Bloor Street, for that matter.

The Queen Street Store exists on a completely different level than any of the suburban outposts, or Bloor Street, for that matter.

Sure, that's why I said what I did. Although in terms of suburbia, my experiences at Yorkdale are comparable to Queen Street, but again Yorkdale is not the same as Fairview or other suburban stores.

ETA: And for that matter, I was at Sherway last summer and we had lots of assistance at the Bay. It was one visit, so it is perhaps the least compelling anecdotal evidence I have offered here. Mind you, this whole discussion started with an anecdotal tale of one visit.

I have no doubt when it comes to staffing and training, there is a hierarchy of stores, but I don't know that it is an urban/suburban divide necessarily.

Last edited:
To each their own. Personally, I hate being asked if I need help. Your experience would've been a positive one for me @Admiral Beez

My last experience at that same HBC (Fairview) was one of too many people checking in on me as I shopped for a gift for my mom. The store was pretty empty in terms of customers at the time though. You probably just caught them at a busy time.

Sears has been closed for weeks. Apparently Chapters/Indigo will be taking over much of that space. The location at Bayview Village has closed and will be reopening at Fairview. FG Bradley's has moved upstairs. Next to it the Laura Secord and Tim Horton's have closed. I am guessing something bigger for the food court is going in.

Apparently Chapters/Indigo will be taking over much of that space. The location at Bayview Village has closed and will be reopening at Fairview.

This is good news. I never go to Bayview Mall, and love poking around bookstores. And they finally installed Presto at the Fairview entrance outside the Sears carcass (even though now you have to walk half a mile to get into the mall as Sears is completely shuttered.)

Sears has been closed for weeks. Apparently Chapters/Indigo will be taking over much of that space. The location at Bayview Village has closed and will be reopening at Fairview. FG Bradley's has moved upstairs. Next to it the Laura Secord and Tim Horton's have closed. I am guessing something bigger for the food court is going in.

This would seem to foreclose the rumour of Sak's setting up shop at Fairview.

Now, what of the STC location, long rumoured as Simons?

Cadillac Fairview and TD Greystone announce Bold Vision for CF Fairview Mall
TORONTO, March 27, 2019 /CNW/ - Cadillac Fairview (CF) and TD Greystone Asset Management (TD Greystone) are pleased to announce major plans to revitalize one of Toronto's premiere shopping centres, CF Fairview Mall. An estimated $80-million will be dedicated to transforming 230,000 square feet (sf) of existing department store and other retail space to introduce exciting brands to the property; create a new row of restaurants; and improve pedestrian access to the property and the nearby Don Mills subway station. Construction is expected to begin this month with completion of the revitalization project slated for 2023.

T&T SUPERMARKETS COMING TO CF FAIRVIEW MALL IN 2022

New Toronto location to create more than 150 jobs, marking the latest stage in landmark shopping centre’s redevelopment

TORONTO, ON (November 23, 2021) T&T Supermarkets and Cadillac Fairview (CF) are pleased to announce T&T’s newest location at CF Fairview Mall in Toronto, opening in winter 2022. The new store will occupy over 36,000 SF of the former Sears space on the ground level, features direct TTC access and can be accessed via the mall’s new corridor.

Reflecting consumer research which revealed a strong preference for an ethnic grocery store, T&T will offer the local community served by CF Fairview Mall a wide variety of Asian specialty products including fresh produce, meat, seafood, grocery items, and its own signature kitchen and bakery creations.

“T&T Supermarkets is at the forefront of Asian food innovation – always sourcing new and trendy items, as well as ensuring we stock the traditional favourites that are important to the communities we serve,” said Tina Lee, CEO of T&T Supermarkets. “We’re excited to become a part of the local community and look forward to bringing new business to the area – our stores are destinations, attracting customers from all over the region.”

The addition of a major grocery brand at CF Fairview Mall stems from the 2019 strategic vision of partners CF and TD Asset Management Inc. to repurpose the centre’s department store space, improve pedestrian access to the nearby Don Mills subway station, and introduce new retail brands and food and dining offerings to reinforce the leadership position of one of Canada’s best-performing shopping centres. The redesign and transformation to CF Fairview Mall, totalling some 200,000 square feet, opened in Fall 2020 with new store openings continuing through 2022.

“T&T is a highly popular, best-in-class grocery brand and we’re delighted to partner with them and open a store location at CF Fairview Mall as the premier food destination for miles around,” said Michael Peiser, Director, Development, Cadillac Fairview. “The addition of T&T Supermarket, with its unique brand positioning, dramatically reflects how CF Fairview supports the needs of this growing and dynamic local community.”

The CF Fairview Mall location will also offer T&T Supermarkets customers the convenience of online ordering for both home delivery and click and collect at www.tntsupermarket.com and T&T mobile App. Customers who do not live close to a T&T Supermarket can also shop online for an assortment of T&T products for mail delivery.

T&T Supermarkets operates 29 stores across Canada and has been steadily expanding their footprint despite the pandemic. Recent store openings including Vancouver East, South Calgary, Toronto Downtown, and Langley BC.

With over 190 retailers and dining options, CF Fairview Mall has been a local landmark for over 50 years. Since opening its doors in 1970, the property has been a natural hub for community members to gather and share experiences, including shoppers, commuters and partners alike.

T&T SUPERMARKETS COMING TO CF FAIRVIEW MALL IN 2022

New Toronto location to create more than 150 jobs, marking the latest stage in landmark shopping centre’s redevelopment

TORONTO, ON (November 23, 2021) T&T Supermarkets and Cadillac Fairview (CF) are pleased to announce T&T’s newest location at CF Fairview Mall in Toronto, opening in winter 2022. The new store will occupy over 36,000 SF of the former Sears space on the ground level, features direct TTC access and can be accessed via the mall’s new corridor.

Reflecting consumer research which revealed a strong preference for an ethnic grocery store, T&T will offer the local community served by CF Fairview Mall a wide variety of Asian specialty products including fresh produce, meat, seafood, grocery items, and its own signature kitchen and bakery creations.

“T&T Supermarkets is at the forefront of Asian food innovation – always sourcing new and trendy items, as well as ensuring we stock the traditional favourites that are important to the communities we serve,” said Tina Lee, CEO of T&T Supermarkets. “We’re excited to become a part of the local community and look forward to bringing new business to the area – our stores are destinations, attracting customers from all over the region.”

The addition of a major grocery brand at CF Fairview Mall stems from the 2019 strategic vision of partners CF and TD Asset Management Inc. to repurpose the centre’s department store space, improve pedestrian access to the nearby Don Mills subway station, and introduce new retail brands and food and dining offerings to reinforce the leadership position of one of Canada’s best-performing shopping centres. The redesign and transformation to CF Fairview Mall, totalling some 200,000 square feet, opened in Fall 2020 with new store openings continuing through 2022.

“T&T is a highly popular, best-in-class grocery brand and we’re delighted to partner with them and open a store location at CF Fairview Mall as the premier food destination for miles around,” said Michael Peiser, Director, Development, Cadillac Fairview. “The addition of T&T Supermarket, with its unique brand positioning, dramatically reflects how CF Fairview supports the needs of this growing and dynamic local community.”

The CF Fairview Mall location will also offer T&T Supermarkets customers the convenience of online ordering for both home delivery and click and collect at www.tntsupermarket.com and T&T mobile App. Customers who do not live close to a T&T Supermarket can also shop online for an assortment of T&T products for mail delivery.

T&T Supermarkets operates 29 stores across Canada and has been steadily expanding their footprint despite the pandemic. Recent store openings including Vancouver East, South Calgary, Toronto Downtown, and Langley BC.

With over 190 retailers and dining options, CF Fairview Mall has been a local landmark for over 50 years. Since opening its doors in 1970, the property has been a natural hub for community members to gather and share experiences, including shoppers, commuters and partners alike.
At first grocery stores left the malls (Fairview had a Dominion at one time in the area where Shoppers is now) and now they are coming back.

Back