News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What happens when you take a NimbyTect Summer 2013 smash hit
v4ob.png

and remix it 2014 style into NimbyTect Neighbourhood building #29 (on April 29th :))?
xfvkpzc.png

What if you made it mostly grey and called it grey lofts?
exHhLYK.png

It's just another NimbyTect vision for 555 King Street West Toronto -- currently home to Perfect Leather -- in progess.

So you've got the perfect name for the perfect address, right?
l4Uz8rg.png

But how would you dress your 1000 sq ft loft?
X78jogp.png

(I want my bathroom to be 100% Toronto grey spandrel glass :))

What if you're a nimby ie a resident at Fashion House? You may wonder how long the rest of this view may last:
h0Flzq3.png

(Spice Route is toast already...;))

What happens when you take another NimbyTect Summer 2013 smash hit--Kirk of NimbyTect--and remix it into a retro modern funky house mix?

You get The White House--a 6 storey, approx 20 unit proposal for a 50' x 100' corner lot somewhere in Toronto ... or at King and Spring Street in Uptown Waterloo.
XAAZcPh.png

JjQxDwN.png

yvN5S3s.png

It doesn't matter which side of the house you dwell in--combining both liberal and conservative aesthetics into one united whole, this White House aims to rule over the nimbies!
mRI6PU6.png

c3UCg3P.png

Has NimbyTect succeeded in pleasing the nimbies?
55UvJB3.png

Perhaps phases 2, 3, 4, 5 ... will unite the people!

The White House 2, 3 & 4 are here: Phases 3 & 4 are the White House Wave--inspired by Waterfront Toronto's WaveDecks! (About time)

svrzNVy.png

HOAVdqY.png

GUXc7zf.png

ChxG3EE.png

l2yJgTB.png

The White House Wave by NimbyTect-- not quite time to wave goodbye -- phase 5 & 6 are on deck.
ZDS1B5B.png

Last edited:
It's election day, right? So who would you vote for as King of Nimbies?
XgGUDCh.png

fg7y7Sc.png

Kh3MdRr.png

y5GIaMv.png

Envisioned for a rather barren block in Uptown Waterloo:
hSaiyjN.png

Or anywhere they'll let me dream....

Inspired by my walk along St Clair and Bathurst last weekend--you know those sexy perfectly-scaled walkups built c.1910-1930s? Yes only with a modern twist. WTF not?!

704 Spadina Avenue used to be a Canada Post outlet--aka my old post office back in the '90s. Walking by the other day I noticed a pop up shop is opening soon--surely a sign that a developer has bought the site?

Ok so let's dream a bit. Imagine a student rental or condominium building was launching soon. Imagine you had very little imagination...hey that sounds like many Toronto developers and architects, right?:p Right. Then let's banish the god-damned grey window wall of shame and insert some brown instead ok? Done:
ofnyHem.png

Let's add some oh-so-trendy bicycle parking, public space and some maybe-they'll-be-dead-by-next-Spring greenery. Done:
XY2sa6p.png

Some condo kids drive, right?
0vYZyLu.png

Let's shoot for the sky shall we?
5MPULup.png

Oh where oh where will the Annex nimbies fall?

Maybe into NimbyTect's crazy vision coming ... next?!

Wait a minute ... or a few days ha. What would you name 704 Spadina Avenue if you limited the palette to brown and white (precast and metal)? Brown Cow of course!
4e7xcz0.png

WxNaJGQ.png

3IjnlTg.png

I8NE6sE.png

p9uSnI7.png

What would happen if the developer thought like a nimby...tect instead of a ...? A drunk developer perhaps?!

Another location I walk by all the time and wonder wtf there's not something tall proposed for the site is 117-127 Yonge Street:
vpGj9yc.png

(OTOH, that old beauty at the NE corner of Yonge & Adelaide is one of my favourite office buildings in Toronto.:))

What happens when you notice all the shops in this strip closing and wonder ... Hmm ... time to think like a NimbyTect, eh? ;) What happens when you stack 'em 80 storeys high with a mix of office and residential (10 storeys of offices above the CRU, residences soaring high above?) Ok maybe something like
3i5s2cu.png

Nw8R41o.png

HoKmqkv.png

TkdPgyX.png

I can already imagine the marketing for this project featuring phrases like
"Own your own box in the sky"
"Mirroring the city below the tower shimmers above Downtown ... Yonge"
"The view is better than at the Bay Adelaide Centre"
"NimbyTect has hit a home run ..."

I whipped off a few more renderings of 117 to 127 Yonge Street to show y'all :) (Each rendering takes less than one minute which suits me just fine.)

Look up:
HSiMz0F.png

Look way up--can you see your reflection in the polished anodized aluminum clad balconies?
W2gKt7f.png

A luxurious 100 square feet of outdoor living space cantilevers over the east and west facades of the larger suites:
7RTXeLg.png

Look down:
n1cpp9S.png

NimbyTect is fully grounded in reality here ;)
LlZbMCi.png

Skyline freaks this is what an 850 foot tower would look like at Yonge and Adelaide:
YOMbjj0.png

The numbers:
10,000 sq ft floor plates on the "podium"
8,000 sq ft residential floor plates
$1000/sq ft c.2020.
2 or 3 CRU.
Loading/parking via rear alley turntable stackers.
88 storeys.

Last edited:
I'm still working on the facade design of DUNDAS U. A reminder of what the site looks like today:
mVpJMSc.png

The future?
bp2SbJZ.png

On earth
PThYNS5.png

as it is in nimby heaven
YNjfjlG.png

lot7E0P.png

mcMpDzI.png

DUNDAS U looking north
GIYzHz7.png

DUNDAS U by NimbyTect - now accepting nimbies
s2t5W64.png

I must add: inspired by Uno Prii. Yes I am planning a proper tribute and have been doing my homework.:)

Last edited:
Here's a quickly-created concept for your neighbourhood Junctionist: The Junction Flatiron designed to fit into the triangular lot currently occupied by Tim Hortons at St Johns Road and Dundas Street West:
PPP8R97.png

It tops out at six storeys--matching the height of that c.1960s office building across the street with the travel agency. The PH setback is roughed in. The design idea: like King of Nimbies, remix'n the old walkup apartment aesthetic into something new. It could be clad in (red) brick, it could be terra cotta, it could be aluminium or something else. It would likely feature 16-20 condo lofts above several shops and maybe parking stackers accessed off St Johns Rd? I've widened the flatiron front by setting the building back from the street edge about 30 feet--a good spot for some more benches or public art.

vLcaOEa.png

Junction nimbies: Is the Junction Flatiron on the right track or heading back to Union?
F045cc2.png

The site today is a beige horror show:
gNwPH9m.png

Back