8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

erudyk_29

Member Bio
Reaction score
After a quick look through the threads here I don't think a thread like this has been made yet. I worry that we (me included) have filled the LRT Expansion Planning thread with a lot of Fantasy Maps and future transit plans that are far too ambitious to even be considered in the mid to near term (which seems to be the target time frame for that thread). So I was thinking this thread could be for just that... posting your craziest, most fantastical future Transit maps for Edmonton and area, including but not limited to LRT. Hoping to see some BRT, Metro and Regional Rail concepts included as well.

My Fantasy LRT map. 10 Lines of glorious transit investment!

Blast from the past
IMG_5714.jpeg

The old Street Car Network

The Edmonton Yukon & Pacific Railway is interesting how it climbs up from where Glenora Club is right now to Jasper Ave. A multiuse path seems to follow the old alignment up to Victoria Park Road. Also seems like Wadhurst Road and Clifton Place also seem to be built around an old rail line, although the alignment northeast to CN Rail Yards and also west disappears after that.

The Fantasy Transit Maps thread should be what can be built in the future, not what was in the past

See initial post:

After a quick look through the threads here I don't think a thread like this has been made yet. I worry that we (me included) have filled the LRT Expansion Planning thread with a lot of Fantasy Maps and future transit plans that are far too ambitious to even be considered in the mid to near term (which seems to be the target time frame for that thread). So I was thinking this thread could be for just that... posting your craziest, most fantastical future Transit maps for Edmonton and area, including but not limited to LRT. Hoping to see some BRT, Metro and Regional Rail concepts included as well.

The Fantasy Transit Maps thread should be what can be built in the future, not what was in the past

See initial post:
I do see value in exploring the past, though, to imagine the future. Seeing where the mind of the city planners was in the 60s, and the losing of how our streetcars operated, can be great to give folks good ideas for some more realistic fantasy maps, and even incorporate some sort of revival of these older things into their own maps. Especially since there are a lot of us who are: 1 - too young to have had any past contact with it; 2 - not from Edmonton (or Canada, for that matter, it is great to be introduced to an older Edmonton that can actually be insightful for what could be our future, considering the current tendency to go back to mass transit as a city-building philosophy.

I do see value in exploring the past, though, to imagine the future. Seeing where the mind of the city planners was in the 60s, and the losing of how our streetcars operated, can be great to give folks good ideas for some more realistic fantasy maps, and even incorporate some sort of revival of these older things into their own maps. Especially since there are a lot of us who are: 1 - too young to have had any past contact with it; 2 - not from Edmonton (or Canada, for that matter, it is great to be introduced to an older Edmonton that can actually be insightful for what could be our future, considering the current tendency to go back to mass transit as a city-building philosophy.
Especially because the past (street car map) look very similar to the future.

Agreed, not 100% on topic but there's still value in including these type of posts in the thread

Controversial inclusion: sections of the Valley Line where we should add crossing gates. I am starting to see the argument against them though. The Valley Line south of Mill Woods would have to cross multiple arterial roads, and we could either a) leave the crossings at grade but with lights only so that trains zip through alongside traffic; b) add boom gates for at-grade crossings at these major roadways that might snarl traffic because of how long it takes to lower the gates; or c) grade separate at all major roadways (23rd Ave, Ellerslie, 41 Ave SW and maybe even 25th Ave SW) along the Valley Line (on top of making those grade separations for the Capital Line). Option C gets expensive very fast. Nevertheless, the speed gains the trains could make would dramatically shorten such long commutes from Summerside.

Back