News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Speaks more to the power of incumbency more than anything. I would not take it to mean anything.

Personally, I'd rather not have either Miller (Mr. Nanny) or Fantino (Mr. Fascist Policeman).

If you think Fantino wouldn't beat Miller in a mayoral race, then you don't know the city, at all, beyond the boundaries of the downtown core. It wouldn't even be close if Fantino ran even a competent, John Tory-like campaign.

Homeowners who delivered Lastman, Holyday, et al. mayoralities in the old Metro (and who still, let's not forget, elect councillors like Mammoliti, Ford, Hall, Holyday, Jenkins, Feldman, and even Thompson in Scarborough during each election) would elect Fantino in a heartbeat, and would not care less what NOW or Spacing or other downtown types dredge up about Fantino's past. If anything, they would be *more* likely to vote for Fantino out of spite just to put people like them in their place, people they view as threats to the city, not assets. In fact, Fantino would probably bring out voters who may have stopped voting out of despair from seeing Miller not having any chance of being beaten. I can just see Fantino using a slogan similar to the one Miller used when he first ran (something about taking back the city).

It would be divisive, certainly, and ugly, but certainly not a cakewalk for Miller, no way in hell.

Last edited:
i'm not criticizing it for any other reason. i'm criticizing the slogan its self. it's arrogance wrapped into a geographic description. it's not even a apt geographic description. if there was a city above toronto, we'd probably wouldn't get much sunlight. why not use "the city north of toronto"? and why include the name of another city as your slogan and focus your slogan on another city?

i've always seen it as a sort of snub. it's a double entendre. when i read their signs, i really see: "hey toronto, we're insecure of our own existence therefore we have to resort to snobbery just so we can feel good about ourselves".

Perhaps your disdain, along with others, is a sign of insecurity?

BWT, if you are invited up north for the weekend, do you call NASA? :D

With respect to Smitherman running for mayor here:

Right now, Smitherman is Minister of Energy and Infrastructure, and with tens of billions coming his way, I doubt he's willing to walk from that for the less powerful mayor's seat.

For the record (someone had asked) the last 3 mayors of Vaughan have been Lorna Jackson (long time mayor IIRC), Micheal DiBiase, and Linda Jackson (Lorna's daughter).

As for the slogan. I was appalled by it when it came and I live in the city and was merely a teenager when I first came out. Marketing is not about focusing the attention on your opponent it's about focusing the attention on you, and at least if you are going to focus attention on your opponent make it about something that you can offer that the other can't. Simply stating that you are the city that is 'on top' of Toronto screams childishness. No different than if Toronto were to run ads that said "The city that is New York run by the Swiss. The city of Toronto!"

If you get the typical low turnout, the union NDP special interest groups would carry the election for Miller. :(
Any polling I've seen of the voting preference of those who bothered to vote compared to those that stayed home, didn't show any statistical difference. Normally if one side shows up in great numbers, it's because the debate has been hot and heavy, and both sides show up.

If few people show up to vote, it is because there is little interest, and opposition to the incumbent.

Personally I always thought "The City Above Toronto" referred solely to its geographic location north of Toronto.

No, there is certainly an intentional double meaning to that slogan. I remember old radio ads bashing Toronto for red tape, taxes, and congestion while praising Vaughan's "open for business" qualities, followed by the slogan turned into a jingle.

I heard that Lastman had signs on North York garbage trucks saying "another load for Lorna" in retaliation (a reference to the Keele Valley dump), but didn't last long.

No, there is certainly an intentional double meaning to that slogan. I remember old radio ads bashing Toronto for red tape, taxes, and congestion while praising Vaughan's "open for business" qualities, followed by the slogan turned into a jingle.

I heard that Lastman had signs on North York garbage trucks saying "another load for Lorna" in retaliation (a reference to the Keele Valley dump), but didn't last long.

LOL!!!! that too can have a double meaning.

Yup. For what it's worth, they're in the process of coming up with a new one. That should singlehandedly clean up any poor perceptions have of the city, right?

My bad on the missing word but in answer to Prometheus question, I suppose the ironic query applies to any human being who has heard to the city - and therefore has a poor perception of it.

Also...

Simply stating that you are the city that is 'on top' of Toronto screams childishness. No different than if Toronto were to run ads that said "The city that is New York run by the Swiss. The city of Toronto!"

I don't disagree about Vaughan but I'd say this is probably the most well-known quote about Toronto, employed by Torontonians. The city's fetish for condo's named after London, New York, San Francisco and just about every other "world class city" is equally childish, isn't it?

I don't disagree about Vaughan but I'd say this is probably the most well-known quote about Toronto, employed by Torontonians. The city's fetish for condo's named after London, New York, San Francisco and just about every other "world class city" is equally childish, isn't it?

blame the builders, not the city government.

blame the builders, not the city government.

I don't blame the government - merely the culture.
People wouldn't build ersatz copies of the Chrysler Building if they didn't have lots of expensive research showing people (ie Torontoians) would buy the condos therein.

When luxurious Toronto-themed condominiums begin to rise in Manhattan I might change my opinions about Toronto and its constant insecurity which (to circle back) is no different than Vaughan's "City Above Toronto" shenanigans.

Back