News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Low on content [...]

Agreed, but the photo of the cheese curds is potentially a. very. big. deal. I didn't know GTA Farm Boy locations had fresh cheese curds from St. Albert delivered daily. Given the horrible cheese curd situation in Toronto, this came as a surprise. If this is true, and they are, in fact, "guaranteed squeaky", this is big news. Worth a drive to Etobicoke.*

* I don't think I have ever before used the words "worth a drive to Etobicoke".

There are some Toronto stores that sell Thornloe Cheese curds which is a taste of home for much of my family. I grew up eating Pine Grove cheese curds. However, I haven't had a good squeaky cheese curd in years! It is a most amazing treat.

Agreed, but the photo of the cheese curds is potentially a. very. big. deal. I didn't know GTA Farm Boy locations had fresh cheese curds from St. Albert delivered daily. Given the horrible cheese curd situation in Toronto, this came as a surprise. If this is true, and they are, in fact, "guaranteed squeaky", this is big news. Worth a drive to Etobicoke.*

* I don't think I have ever before used the words "worth a drive to Etobicoke".

Just literally was in the Farm Boy, it was very busy, full of " area locals " shopping for their groceries. Lots of Farm Boy branded items, and name brand items as well at higher prices. Some organic products. Take to go pizza, sushi and stir-fry are also available. They have other items on sale as well. Lots of parking. Easy TTC connections via the 15 and 123D/B buses from Kipling and Royal York .

Last edited:
http://www.canadiangrocer.com/top-s...essive-expansion-with-etobicoke-opening-79102
Farm-Boy-Etobicoke-pizza-station.jpg

I have to check this out, I didn't know there was an Alderwood location. I haven't been yet, but Farm Boy sounds like it's my thing, at least from what my sis and brother-in-law keep telling me. They were all about the Brantford one.

If they have a regular store of wild salmon, I'm hooked. (stupid pun, sorry)

I'm of mixed views on this.

I rather like most of what Farm Boy does now.

They have a couple of weak points, but are by and large much better than the larger chains.

Sobeys seems to be suggesting they will keep the name plate, even extend it and the private label products for which it has become known.

I vote selfishly for Sobeys Danforth to the top of the list for re-brand.

However, it's rare for acquisitions like this to stay truly independent w/one owner.

Initial changes like merging payroll/accounting or adding some buying power aren't bad things, unless you're the unfortunate soul who's made redundant.

But over time there's a tendency to want to save money on store design, merging buying teams, then slimming down the number of vendors, and as you consolidate warehouses, you tend to be less able to buy local.

Perhaps Sobeys will execute this purchase better than most, one can hope.

But if its acquisition of Safeway is any indication........this is a sad day for foodies.

Last edited:
I really don't care for Sobeys and hope we won't be seeing drab Compliments brand products and unremarkable prepared foods in Farm Boy stores. News briefs say that the current Co-CEO is to continue management for the long term, so hopefully that's a sign that they'll leave it alone. Maybe they'll bring the Farm Boy supply chain to Urban Fresh stores. That's the most optimistic result I can foresee.

Wonder what this means for Dupont. Where Sobeys is meant to be redeveloped and where Farm boy had secured a location in a different development almost next door.

But when do we find out that "Farm Boy" is in reality, the Dread Pirate Roberts?

lol

Wonder what this means for Dupont. Where Sobeys is meant to be redeveloped and where Farm boy had secured a location in a different development almost next door.

Oh no! One reason why i love Farm Boy so much., it wasn't an overpriced generic grocery store like Sobeys. I can see Sobeys shutting down some locations, eliminating competition.

Maybe. But the Farm Boy model is that it doesn’t replicate a full-line grocery store. Farm Boy intentionally places its stores near other supermarkets, and assumes that its customers will also shop for grocery staples at a supermarket once they’ve picked up their fresh food at Farm Boy.

So, it is entirely possible that some Sobeys and Farm Boy stores could continue to exist in close proximity to one another.

Back