News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What do you believe should be done about the SRT?

• Total voters
One very easy way to do this would be to have Metrolinx/GO Transit operate the line (and extend it along Eglinton to the airport). If it's not under TTC jurisdiction, the union is powerless.

Would impact would that have on fares on the line though? Would a Metrolinx run line accept TTC transfers/passes? Would the TTC still have to run buses on this corridor? I guess it wouldn't matter all that much if there was fare integration in place before the line opened.

Even if you run ICTS overnight during a snowstorm, it will still fail. Here's why ...

When a train passes over the reaction rail, the heat causes any snow that has accumulated on it since the last train's pass to melt slightly. By the time the next train passes by, that water freezes on the rail. This process goes on and on and the result is a buildup of ice on the rail over time. Once it reaches a certain thickness, the party's over.

So how does the above ground subway lines stay clear in the winter? i would think ice would mess up the connections with the third rail.

So how does the above ground subway lines stay clear in the winter? i would think ice would mess up the connections with the third rail.

The subway doesn't have a reaction rail. Sometimes the buildup of ice on the power rail causes problems on the subway as well.

The subway doesn't have a reaction rail. Sometimes the buildup of ice on the power rail causes problems on the subway as well.

Ya, i call the power rail a third rail.

The thing is, we seem to know all the problems with the UDTC ICTS in Toronto and a bit in Vancouver. But how does the Bombardier ART MKII SkyTrain in New York handle? No one seems to know how often that breaks down due to snow or equiment problems. Just the UDTC ones.

Ya, i call the power rail a third rail.

The thing is, we seem to know all the problems with the UDTC ICTS in Toronto and a bit in Vancouver. But how does the Bombardier ART MKII SkyTrain in New York handle? No one seems to know how often that breaks down due to snow or equiment problems. Just the UDTC ones.

Whether it's Mark I, II, III, IV -- the reaction rail is the same. Vancouver has had problems with their lines in snow as well. NYC doesn't get that much snow, but I suppose they would have the same problem with a heavy snowfall.

Whether it's Mark I, II, III, IV -- the reaction rail is the same. Vancouver has had problems with their lines in snow as well. NYC doesn't get that much snow, but I suppose they would have the same problem with a heavy snowfall.

Doesn't seem to be any transit technology that would work well in our environment.

Lets us just build one ART line and one LRT line and lets see who wins. Good way to settle this.

Alternating blocks. ART then LRT with transfers every concession. Whichever blocks see the higher ridership win.

Subways and other traditional rail have a much better track record. It's that simple.

SRT is a pet peeve of ours because it requires a third technology and all the overhead associated with that, while providing no benefit. That's why any officials endorsing it must be met with suspicion.

Subways and other traditional rail have a much better track record. It's that simple.

LRTs are relatively new technology. These are not the streetcars we're use to and they only really been popular in the last ~10 years. So what happen when they fall out of popularity again in North America? Are we just stuck with another orphan system?

LRTs are relatively new technology. These are not the streetcars we're use to and they only really been popular in the last ~10 years. So what happen when they fall out of popularity again in North America? Are we just stuck with another orphan system?

What I meant by orphan is that it's an additional technology. LRT and steetcars will always be in Toronto. Subways will always be in Toronto.

If a whole new kind of vehicle has to enter the picture, it better bring some benefits, to justify the incompatible car houses, tracks, maintenance, storage, etc. ART brings no benefits to justify this.

Furthermore, if Bombardier decides to stop building compatible vehicles -- which has happened to us and is the reason we can't just buy new SRT cars -- we are screwed. How many times does this have to happen to us before we learn?

With Subways, LRT, bus, and commuter rail, you can always find a manufacturer because they are based on open standards.

I thought LRT doesn't currently exist in Toronto, that these new Transit City lines were something completely new and different from existing streetcars.

Back