News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What do you believe should be done about the SRT?

• Total voters
There's lrt being built starting this year on Sheppard, Finch & Eglinton. I think if you search on google you might find some details about it.

I thought LRT doesn't currently exist in Toronto, that these new Transit City lines were something completely new and different from existing streetcars.

Nice try, but the way the lines operate will be different, the technology of the vehicles will be similar.

Last edited:
What I meant by orphan is that it's an additional technology. LRT and steetcars will always be in Toronto. Subways will always be in Toronto.

Something tells me we could be seeing more ART lines(other than possible Eglinton) in the future. The need of a ART line on the SRT seem to be part of a bigger picture we have yet to see from Metrolinx/TTC.

With Subways, LRT, bus, and commuter rail, you can always find a manufacturer because they are based on open standards.

This could hold true if we always didn't buy our subways and LRTs from Bombardier. :rolleyes:

Ill believe it when i see it in writing. They change their minds all the time, and until i see that its officially confirmed; then ill truly believe that the ICTS is dead in Toronto.

I for one won't miss the SRT, even if it means we don't get a subway right away, I think the SRT was the bigger obstacle to getting subway than LRT ever will be.

The Scarborough Rapid Transit will be converted to light rail, officially.
I think, maybe.

See Extension of the Scarborough Rapid Transit & Kennedy Station Improvements for information of the two Open Houses scheduled for the SRT Conversion & Extension including Kennedy Station Improvements!

• March 8, 2010
    6:30pm - 9:00pm
    Jean Vanier Catholic Secondary School
    959 Midland Avenue (north of Eglinton)

• March 11, 2010
    6:30pm - 9:00pm
    Chinese Cultural Centre
    5183 Sheppard Avenue East (at Progress Ave)

See Public Notice on this PDF.

Scarborough RT Extension
A redevelopment and extension of the Scarborough RT is planned to improve transit service to the north and east of the Scarborough City Centre. The current system will be converted to modern electrically-powered Light Rail Transit (LRT) to ensure reliability and improve customer service. The SRT will be integrated in the Transit City network making connections with the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, Sheppard Avenue East LRT and Scarborough Malvern LRT. The first phase of the project will extend the route in an exclusive right-of-way to connect with the Sheppard Avenue East LRT. Phase two will extend to the Malvern Town Centre. As it will initially operate as a terminal station, Sheppard Station will include a bus terminal northeast of the Chinese Cultural Centre to provide convenient connections to local bus routes

map.jpg

^^ Good to hear, I am glad they are leaning toward LRT on this route. I read the capacity will increase significantly if the current SRT is replaced with LRT vehicles. If my schedule allows it I am going to try to make it to the March 8/10 Open House at Jose Vanier Catholic Secondary School. I hope the phase 2 section of the route gets funding soon after the first phase to Sheppard. I live between Warden and Victoria Park Station but since moving here to Toronto I have read a report that showed the largest percentage of SRT riders come from that area so it is good that the TTC is looking like they are going to reward that area for already using transit more then most other neighborhoods outside of the downtown core. So I guess all those 130's buses that presently feed Scarborough Town Center will link up with the SRT(LRT) at the temporary Sheppard Station rather then Scarborough Town Center. This will clear our streets of quite a bit of bus traffic. I don't think there is enough room at Sheppard/Progress for a very large bus station unless they aquire a few properties there. I think the proposed Malvern Town Center would be able to accomodate a lot more bus routes then the Sheppard/Progress future station could.

^^ Good to hear, I am glad they are leaning toward LRT on this route. I read the capacity will increase significantly if the current SRT is replaced with LRT vehicles. If my schedule allows it I am going to try to make it to the March 8/10 Open House at Jose Vanier Catholic Secondary School. I hope the phase 2 section of the route gets funding soon after the first phase to Sheppard. I live between Warden and Victoria Park Station but since moving here to Toronto I have read a report that showed the largest percentage of SRT riders come from that area so it is good that the TTC is looking like they are going to reward that area for already using transit more then most other neighborhoods outside of the downtown core. So I guess all those 130's buses that presently feed Scarborough Town Center will link up with the SRT(LRT) at the temporary Sheppard Station rather then Scarborough Town Center. This will clear our streets of quite a bit of bus traffic. I don't think there is enough room at Sheppard/Progress for a very large bus station unless they aquire a few properties there. I think the proposed Malvern Town Center would be able to accomodate a lot more bus routes then the Sheppard/Progress future station could.

Actually...

Those 131/132/133/134 bus routes will probably all need to keep running because they all serve places that won't be anywhere near the SRT extension, so the only street cleared of traffic might be Progress (which only runs at most 7 or 8 buses at once, anyway, not exactly a large number), though, again, I'd expect the 134 to remain as is but with reduced service since there's no proposed stop at Milner, no stop at Markham, no service next to all those condos along Corporate Drive, etc. Really, no buses will be taken off the streets.

Malvern Town Centre won't be a bus hub of any consequence since so much of the ridership on routes that run by MTC originates south of MTC. The only bus 'hinterland' it has is the few small bus loops that run through the nearby subdivisions, like the 133C branch and the Nugget loop near Old Finch. Neilson, for instance, has about 10K riders a day, but look how many riders get on/off south of Tapscott/Sewells. Look at how many Nugget riders get on/off west of Tapscott. Most of the Progress' bus ridership will be easily shifted to the SRT extension but the volume of riders shifted from other routes is really quite limited. Since these buses will need to continue on past MTC, anyway, even the ridership on the peripheral loops isn't assured of being shifted onto the SRT extension.

As for the extension serving the area where the largest proportion of SRT riders comes from, that's just not true. Only about 16-18% of SRT riders are coming from/going to the area through which the extension will run. It might even be less than 15%, though I'm sure it's over 10%. That may be about 1% higher than the Ellesmere/UTSC corridor or it may be 1% higher than the McCowan/Brimley corridor, but either way it is both lower than Lawrence East and a clear sign that the extension won't benefit the vast majority of riders.

^ If TTC really wants that, they might rearrange some routes to make greater use of the SRT extension, and save a few buses. For example, they can retain route 133 north of Sheppard only, operating it off the Sheppard / Progress station; and re-route bus 38 to the said station via Neilson, instead of to STC via Ellesmere.

However, not sure if the number of riders who benefit from such change would be greater than the number of inconvenienced riders.

So they switch to LRT and still keep the thing grade separated with no stops at Markham or Milner. Genius. Pure genius.

The station at Centennial College will have to suit that purpose.

Bang up job there. They are going to make everybody who gets off at a fairly busy transfer point walk 400m outside. If they had kept it at-grade Transfer City style (and actually run it down a centre median on Progress) at least they could have built a stop at Markham and one at Centennial, and even fit in a stop at Milner. Isn't that the whole point of Transit City? That's it's supposed to be more convenient than heavy-rail transit? Now we are going to get stops that are 2-3 times as far as the bus and they are probably going to eliminate the Progress bus altogether or reduce its frequency. I fail to see how this is going to make transit more accessible.

Last edited:
On the other hand this line is really intended to be a light metro using LRT vehicles, similar to the Eglinton line. It will run with two or three car LRV trains running at high speed on a partly or fully segregated right of way. Running it down Progress Avenue would just slow it down and make it unreliable.

On the other hand this line is really intended to be a light metro using LRT vehicles, similar to the Eglinton line. It will run with two or three car LRV trains running at high speed on a partly or fully segregated right of way. Running it down Progress Avenue would just slow it down and make it unreliable.

Why? Ever been down Progress? There's hardly that much traffic on that street. It could go down to one lane in each direction without too much of a fuss. Also, I don't see how it would be slow or unreliable. There's hardly any lights on Progress. If the LRT started at Consilium, there are 5 lights (Bellamy, Markham, Centennial College, Milner and Sheppard). Since Transit City is supposed to have signal priority and two of those lights would be skipped by the LRT being underground (Milner and Sheppard), how much impact would running it at-grade really have on its speed. Conversely, what is ridiculous is skipping over a large employment area like Milner or forcing people to walk 400m to transfer to a major avenue, all for what? A 3 minute penalty on an already significantly shortened ride for Malvernites and Centennial students?

They don't even have to use Progress west of Markham. They can use the current alignment. But why skip out on Markham and Malvern?

Back