News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty discouraging to read comments trying to draw some parallel between Latimer and this case. Latimer committed murder, which is a crime, and, IMO, deserved prison. But that was years ago. The issue most recently with Latimer was whether he should be given parole. Many including myself feel that he should now be paroled. This would not in any way condone his action; it would simply recognize that he can be released back into society as it is extremely unlikely that he is a threat to anyone.

The Parvez case is only at the point of charges being laid. We are months away from a trial, and some people would do better to wait for facts to come out before speculating on his motives. But no one "approves" his actions if he did indeed kill his daughter, as appears to be the case. I haven't read anyone here arguing to approve his action.

By the way it's good to see articles in the papers (National Post Wednesday, for one), written by prominent Muslims condemning this death in no uncertain terms. We need that.

Yeah, those domestic-abusive b*****ds must die.

ike_Turner.gif

One just did

Because many, not all, but a good number of people from the Middle East don't have much or any regard for human life. Hence all the ongoing daily problems over there.

You need to get out more. Your generalizations indicate a sheltered view (which is fed by politicians and mass media every day).

I have met many people from the Middle East who have the same values and regard for human life as we do.

Where's your mention of all if the Christian anti-abortionists who advocate murdering doctors who perform abortions, or women who have them?

for those that think religion doesn't advocate these things, i'll give you judeo-christian proof that it does. here is a bible passage that advocates murdering your child if it is disobedient.....

Deuteronomy 21 (American Standard Version)

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, that will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and, though they chasten him, will not hearken unto them;

19 then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 and they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones: so shalt thou put away the evil from the midst of thee; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

now, most religious people haven't read the bible and don't take their religion too seriously. it's more of a cultural thing for them and they believe in a god, just in case. then there are people who take religion seriously and the scripture that the religion is based on and they think and do awful things because they believe that it is the way they should live because if their texts are sacred, then 100% of their texts are sacred.

Most Christians IMO don't know the Old Testament, including Deuteronomy except for the juicy bits, and I've never heard of an example of modern day honour killings by professed Christians done in the name of the Old Testament.

I was not surprised he was a Muslim. They are coming to grips living and raising a family in a highly secular society. This is not new. Growing up in a traditional Greek Orthodox family I saw the pressure my female cousins were under to look the part of "good spouse". How times have changed. I recall 20-30 years ago the dress attire at church was quite conservative. Lots of make up and hair spray, but very little cleavage and skin showing. Now you go and the girls are dressed up in mini skirts, cleavage galour and displaying tatoos. Our priest had made some comments about this, but never to the point to encourage parents to beat the shit out of your daughter. Eventually the Imans will have to face up and stop encouraging parents to use drastic measures to keep the girls in line.
Other examples, Chinese women have long complained about family pressure uphold “traditional values†while non-Muslim African women constantly struggle to free themselves from the patriarchic culture of their ancestral land. Young ladies with locally-born parents still must deal with generational conflicts, causing a significant number to move out long before finishing high school (if they finish high school). The Islamic world may offer a significantly uglier version of this conflict but that is hardly the same as saying that the conflict is unique to Muslims.
Aqsa’s murder must be treated as a criminal act, first and foremost. WHY her father killed her is secondary to the fact that he did it – not out of self defense or mercy, but rage and indignation. Canada will have sent a clear message to all religious radicals: there is ONE law in this land and everyone is subject to it regardless of their ancestral or chosen customs. Canada has one chance to solidify the distinction between religious and legal authority before activists on both sides of the multiculturalism debate turn this tragic domestic abuse case into a political circus.

Because many, not all, but a good number of people from the Middle East don't have much or any regard for human life. Hence all the ongoing daily problems over there.

If people in the Middle East don't have much regard for human life, why do so many Palestinians get upset when their children get blown up by Israeli bombs and bullets?

Wow. Yet another quality ignorant and dumb statement that threads like this bring up.

I recall 20-30 years ago the dress attire at church was quite conservative. Lots of make up and hair spray, but very little cleavage and skin showing. Now you go and the girls are dressed up in mini skirts, cleavage galour and displaying tatoos. Our priest had made some comments about this, but never to the point to encourage parents to beat the shit out of your daughter.
In my church we have two cross dressing men, several gay and lesbian couples and a whole host of different people.

If anyone is interested, there is a popular memoir that pretty much mirrors these exact same issues in the larger scope of Iran, Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi is a good read. To be fair, the criticism of the book is that it was written by an Iranian woman professor who has been biased by her education in America.

Except it wasn't euthanasia. Tracy Latimer was not capable of deciding whether she wanted to commit suicide. Robert Latimer deliberately planned to murder her, and did so.

How, exactly are the issues different? Except that the murder you approve was done buy a white father? Because people who can't make their own decisions are of no value, and therefore expendable?

Fair enough... it was mercy-killing, not euthanasia. However, were I in Tracy's shoes, I don't think I'd want to live either, understanding the options.

Nonetheless, the two murders were differently motivated.

FYI, I have no issue with the race of the people involved. The faith, though... anyone who buys into a religion lock stock and barrel is at least a little bit insane in my eyes.

Aye, in general it's not the spirtual side people complain about when talking about religion it's hardline dogma. In reality we really should differentiate the two when we are conversing.

Fair enough... it was mercy-killing, not euthanasia. However, were I in Tracy's shoes, I don't think I'd want to live either, understanding the options.

Should we start to 'mercy' kill selected elements of people living in group homes and mental hospitals, many of them who have physical and mental problems? They can't speak for themselves, BUT were we in their shoes, surely we wouldn't want to live their life???!!!

We need a separate thread for this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back