9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

David Brake

Member Bio
Reaction score
Budget 2016 has about $1.5bn for municipalities over the next two years to fund mostly repairs and renewal but also planning for new large-scale projects. Where is it going?

Budget 2016 has about $1.5bn for municipalities over the next two years to fund mostly repairs and renewal but also planning for new large-scale projects. Where is it going?

I know there was some talk of Ottawa asking for some more money to build either a) an airport LRT spur, b) an LRT extension to Kanata, or c) an LRT extension to Trim Rd. That would be outside of the Phase II funding which has already been committed. I believe the idea was that if the Feds increased their 1/3rd share from $1 billion, it could allow the City to redirect some of the funding they've already allocated to projects that they had to drop from Phase II due to budget considerations.

Definitely unlikely. Not a surprise to me, as there isn't demand for LRT service levelss.

The only way to effectively serve airport, north/south travel in Etobicoke , and trips with suburban origin and destination points is BRT. LRT is too expensive to effectively cover a substantial portion of suburban trips.

100 km of BRT could be built for about $1 Billion, delivering 25% to 30% shorter travel times, and more reliable service to 1/4 of TTC trips. It's perhaps the cheapest, quickest and most impactful improvement we can make to transit in Toronto.

The greatest deficiency in our network is how poorly it serves suburban trips, which make up most TTC trips. This is reflected in the extremely low transit modal share for tips with suburban origin and destinations. I hope somebody at City Planning is willing to examine the idea. It's the only way to improve these trips.

Ottawa Transitway BRT is the memories of my childhood of the 80s. It was once one the biggest BRT system in the world.

That said, it looks like we probably will end up waiting 20 years for all-day Milton RER to finally happen.

Ottawa Transitway BRT is the memories of my childhood of the 80s. It was once one the biggest BRT system in the world.

That said, it looks like we probably will end up waiting 20 years for all-day Milton RER to finally happen.

Unfortunately I struggle to think of anyway corridors in Toronto that would be appropriate for a transitway-style BRT. Perhaps the Finch East corridor along that strip of parkland to the north, but that's 1 km from Finch and would poorly serve designation points.

Almost all BRT in Toronto would be relegated to in-median right-of-ways, which is still a big improvement over what we have today.

Ya, I was in going to Carleton in the mid 80s when the Transitway was just opening in section. Incredibly fast and reliable except the downtown but then they never built the downtown section so what did they expect?

As far as Transitways for Toronto I think the Finch corridor is fairly obvious. I think another very doable option would be Renforth/MiWay station heading north of hwy27 which is basically freeway til the airport expressway, stops along the way, head east for a station at Etoicoke North and then a busway on the north side of the 40 to the Spadina/Downsview station.
It could then head north along the currewnt transitway to YorkU and connect up with the Finch Hydro BRT to Yonge.

It would make travel across the northern part of the city much easier and more fluid and because it would use many current highway/rail corridors it wouldn't have to go thru endless environmental and community reviews which are the death of transit plans in Toronto.

Definitely unlikely. Not a surprise to me, as there isn't demand for LRT service levelss.

The only way to effectively serve airport, north/south travel in Etobicoke , and trips with suburban origin and destination points is BRT. LRT is too expensive to effectively cover a substantial portion of suburban trips.

100 km of BRT could be built for about $1 Billion, delivering 25% to 30% shorter travel times, and more reliable service to 1/4 of TTC trips. It's perhaps the cheapest, quickest and most impactful improvement we can make to transit in Toronto.

The greatest deficiency in our network is how poorly it serves suburban trips, which make up most TTC trips. This is reflected in the extremely low transit modal share for tips with suburban origin and destinations. I hope somebody at City Planning is willing to examine the idea. It's the only way to improve these trips.
people hate riding buses

Rapid transit is rapid transit. Anyone who won't take it because they don't want to be seen on a bus, won't take transit anyway.

I think it is a no-brainer to convert all our trunk bus-routes in Toronto to something with dedicated lanes, queue-lane jumping, light synchronizations, all-door boarding.

Our bus routes do most of the heavy-lifting when it comes to our city's transit. It may not be rapid transit, but the majority of our rapid transit users transfer on to a bus at some point in their trip. I hope the next mayoral election promises something more impactful than "increased bus frequency". :rolleyes:

Back