News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

But if it's underground, then it means people have to walk down stairs or take an elevator, thus taking people away from the street. The only way transit should work is by stopping as much as possible, thus being slower and less appealing than driving, cycling, walking, or crawling.

Seriously though, how is going underground that much better than using the hydro corridor? Seems many of the pitfalls associated with using it would also he associated with going underground.

You could build both the curbside or in-median BRT and the Finch Hydro corridor BRT for the same cost of building the Finch LRT. You would get more capacity, and you would essentially have an express/collector route operating in the same general area. Those who are in it for the long haul would either walk up to the hydro corridor, or transfer onto it at one of the N-S concessions (since that's likely where the only stops would be). Those who want local transit can stay on Finch. In fact, you could probably even do the Finch lanes as curbside HOV lanes, and you would get nearly the same efficiency (since a significant number of riders would use the Hydro Corridor route instead, reducing frequencies on Finch and reducing bunching).

The Hydro Corridor BRT route could be touted as a transit project, and the HOV lanes as a road widening project. In the end though, transit wins in both cases. Nobody really loses, because it becomes an "either or" choice. And yes, this whole scheme likely could be built over the same distance as the FWLRT for about the same cost, considering that I have referenced several times that BRT projects come in at around 1/3 to 1/2 the capital cost of LRT projects.

PS: I think the HOV lanes on Finch would be more attractive for Fordites than bus lanes, because with HOV, it is technically increasing road space for cars.

Is there even that much long haul demand on this route? The TTC report seems to suggest that the vast majority of riders on the Finch West bus are going to and coming from locations on Finch itself.

srjqj.png

ujRxQ.png

Also Humber College is clearly one of the most important destinations on the route and a Hydro BRT wouldn't come anywhere close to it.

I'm being serious.
I was serious too! Ford has already promised subway on Finch West in 10 years. Pushing the EA to include subway and LRT could scupper the entire process. It could be great fun seeing what Ford says. His Finch West comments are just about the only time he's gone off script since the election.

I was serious too! Ford has already promised subway on Finch West in 10 years. Pushing the EA to include subway and LRT could scupper the entire process. It could be great fun seeing what Ford says. His Finch West comments are just about the only time he's gone off script since the election.
Ok nfitz I hear you. Question is how will ford even get that done?
That was the plan before the mayor scrapped it. Presumably a centre-lane BRT would reach there just as easily.

Ok. But then it would it be just as fast? Probably not IMO.

Ok. But then it would it be just as fast? Probably not IMO.

Why wouldn't it be? Same platforms, all door boarding, similar acceleration and deceleration, top speed (realistic speed), etc. I fail to see how in-median LRT would be any faster than in-median BRT. It's the operating environment that determines speed, not the vehicle used.

Yeah the difference would be in capacity, not speed.

Exactly. And if you build HOV lanes on Finch, and the Finch Hydro Corridor BRT, then capacity would not be an issue, as that 4,500 pphpd would be divided between those two options, giving greater flexibility and choice for riders, for roughly the same capital cost as building in-median LRT.

You could build both the curbside or in-median BRT and the Finch Hydro corridor BRT for the same cost of building the Finch LRT. You would get more capacity, and you would essentially have an express/collector route operating in the same general area. Those who are in it for the long haul would either walk up to the hydro corridor, or transfer onto it at one of the N-S concessions (since that's likely where the only stops would be). Those who want local transit can stay on Finch. In fact, you could probably even do the Finch lanes as curbside HOV lanes, and you would get nearly the same efficiency (since a significant number of riders would use the Hydro Corridor route instead, reducing frequencies on Finch and reducing bunching).

The Hydro Corridor BRT route could be touted as a transit project, and the HOV lanes as a road widening project. In the end though, transit wins in both cases. Nobody really loses, because it becomes an "either or" choice. And yes, this whole scheme likely could be built over the same distance as the FWLRT for about the same cost, considering that I have referenced several times that BRT projects come in at around 1/3 to 1/2 the capital cost of LRT projects.

PS: I think the HOV lanes on Finch would be more attractive for Fordites than bus lanes, because with HOV, it is technically increasing road space for cars.

But then we would be duplicating service, and we can't do that. No, we must create a one-size-fit-all by appealing to the lowest common denominator by stopping as much as possible. If people don't like it, then they should move closer to their work. Because if they buy a car, they are worse than Hitler!

Seriously, I agree with you 100%. But this is the rebuttal I've gotten for this idea.

If it's this much of a fuss then cancel the Sheppard West extension and make Finch a grade separated LRT, with underground and trenched sections.

If it's this much of a fuss then cancel the Sheppard West extension and make Finch a grade separated LRT, with underground and trenched sections.

There is no money for Sheppard West either. If you cancel Sheppard West you still have $0 for Finch.

Back