News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Doubtful. They probably still reviewing what to do on transit file and what Liberal parts to cut in name of deficits and debt cutting. This is one that is likely to go as there isn't much construction started on this due to Liberal incompetence and incessant delays from Bombardier. This line was supposed to be up and running by 2015...

Absolutely. If this line gets cut, I will hold the Liberals as largely responsible.

Absolutely. If this line gets cut, I will hold the Liberals as largely responsible.
One would be a foolish moron to cancel this at this point. The penalties would be huge, compared to the actual cost of constructing it.

Some responsibility goes to them for delaying this line so many times. But surely in the unlikely event that it is cancelled (even I don't think that Doug Ford is that foolish a moron!) when they didn't even campaign on the issue, then the direction of most of the blame would be very clear, except to perhaps the most biased partisans.

This government just burned $3 billion to kill the Carbon Tax, I wouldn't put anything past them

We can't know for sure until it is built. However, we can estimate that killing Finch LRT will give them very few extra votes, and no new seats in the Provincial Assembly.

At the same time, their opponents would gain a good punchline, turning the tables on the waste and respect for taxpayer thing.

This government just burned $3 billion to kill the Carbon Tax, I wouldn't put anything past them

Its much worse politically to kill something thats a physical thing that is in the process of being built, than something on paper like a tax.

The general public gets caught up on physical sunk costs more than taxation, they can wrap their heads around the first one better.

DpkAEIqWkAA6dBa.jpg:large

I’m actually impressed at the sheer number of these sessions. Plenty of opportunity for people to check in.

It’s gonna be a challenge for Mammo to sidetrack this much outreach.

- Paul

Doubtful. They probably still reviewing what to do on transit file and what Liberal parts to cut in name of deficits and debt cutting. This is one that is likely to go as there isn't much construction started on this due to Liberal incompetence and incessant delays from Bombardier. This line was supposed to be up and running by 2015...

I like to see that this project is coming along, but hopefully shovels get in the ground soon.

Don't like the times for the open houses. 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Sounds like a "legal" or "official" requirement that "something" happens to show that the Finch West LRT is "alive". It's like the "Ontario Gazette" (see link):

The Ontario Gazette
The official publication for legislative decisions, proclamations of new statutes, all regulations made under Ontario statutes, and notices that must be made public.

Sounds like a "legal" or "official" requirement that "something" happens to show that the Finch West LRT is "alive".
How so, when the community office is already open 3 full days a week, every week? Is there an particular requirement you can reference?

The key fact: the project agreement has been signed. If DoFo felt strongly about this project not happening, he would have cancelled it right away after the election, while he was firing Hydro brass etc. Every day that the contractor spends mobilising only adds to the damages they will claim if it is cancelled.

Personally, I bet the Minister's staff were consulted and signed off on the meetings. However, if the project is truly at risk and QP is considering shutting it down - holding the meetings is a really clever bit of brinksmanship.

If Queens Park is opposed, the last thing they will accept is their agency pushing ahead with public meetings that build expectations that the project is a go. The more typical and risk-averse option for bureaucrats (been there myself in past lives) is to stay out of the spotlight and tiptoe with whatever they can accomplish without looking contrarian. Even if the schedule slips or costs mount.

Either going ahead will get people fired... or somebody already blinked.

Similarly, in the context of a municipal election,the meetings are an open invitation for any/all of the local candidates to scream their opposition. Wait until after the election, only one councillor can weigh in. Hold the meetings now, and some candidates will express support if only to differentiate from the one that predictably won't.

So, worst case, I'd say it's a clever bit of put-up-or-shut-up: Speak now or let us get on with the work. But I do think the project will proceed.

- Paul

Last edited:
The key fact: the project agreement has been signed. If DoFo felt strongly about this project not happening, he would have cancelled it right away after the election, while he was firing Hydro brass etc. Every day that the contractor spends mobilising only adds to the damages they will claim if it is cancelled.

Personally, I bet the Minister's staff were consulted and signed off on the meetings. However, if the project is truly at risk and QP is considering shutting it down - holding the meetings is a really clever bit of brinksmanship.

If Queens Park is opposed, the last thing they will accept is their agency pushing ahead with public meetings that build expectations that the project is a go. The more typical and risk-averse option for bureaucrats (been there myself in past lives) is to stay out of the spotlight and tiptoe with whatever they can accomplish without looking contrarian. Even if the schedule slips or costs mount.

Either going ahead will get people fired... or somebody already blinked.

Similarly, in the context of a municipal election,the meetings are an open invitation for any/all of the local candidates to scream their opposition. Wait until after the election, only one councillor can weigh in. Hold the meetings now, and some candidates will express support if only to differentiate from the one that predictably won't.

So, worst case, I'd say it's a clever bit of put-up-or-shut-up: Speak now or let us get on with the work. But I do think the project will proceed.

- Paul
Either it goes ahead as-is, or Ford is in some types of backroom talks to either build something else (BRT in hydro corridor from Yonge to Weston and on street to Humber) or somewhere else (give Contractor the Eglinton West project).
It makes one wonder, if Eglinton was not on-street - would this Ford government have already been announced plans to Extend the Eglinton Line west to Pearson and East to Malvern.

It makes one wonder, if Eglinton was not on-street - would this Ford government have already been announced plans to Extend the Eglinton Line west to Pearson and East to Malvern.
Well Ford was opposed to the Eglinton West LRT when it was proposed to be built on the Richview ROW, and seeing as he was a part of selling off those lands, I dont think he really cared much about it. Actually as we speak, I guarantee you that he's looking into selling more provincially owned lands which is not good at all.

Eglinton West is a city project for now and I think it will be built.
Since John Tory offered to pay for it, yes it is a city project. Originally, Metrolinx was responsible for the whole thing.

When it will be built is anyone's guess, and right now it's just a part of the city's $22+ billion worth of unfunded capital expenditures.

Back