News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Some people couldn't care less about facts, especially when they oppose their ideology. A report just came out that recommends demolishing the eastern part of the gardiner expressway is just the latest example, and that did not sway Denzil Minnan-Wong. He made up his mind long before the facts came out, claiming that tearing it down will cause traffic chaos, will not improve the waterfront, etc. But that's not surprising at all for someone who doesn't care about anything that doesn't have a carbon-spewing exhaust pipe.

I'm predicting another shit show in the council debate. The outcome will have a huge impact on the city's future, but expect to hear plenty of "war on cars", "traffic chaos", and "bicycle riding downtown lefties" rather than thoughtful discourse. It's too bad this issue couldn't wait until we get a new mayor.

I tend to lean towards the "don't tear it down" side of the argument ....not because, primarily, what it will do to commute times or angry drivers....I just happen to think the benefits in terms of access to the waterfront and connecting the waterfront to the city are overrated.

I can, however, get on board with the idea if it is tied to improvements to the various transit lines/systems that are currently not seen as viable alternatives to so many people.

That said, I suspect that most people opposed are so because of the perceived lengthening of commute times. If I was a PR firm advising the proponents of tearing the down the Gardiner I would have cautioned them against using words like "only an additional 10 minutes" when describing the effect on commute times. For one thing, drivers will not believe that it is only 10 minutes and for another thing, when you are talking about the worst commute times in Canada and amongst the worst in North America, an additional 10 minutes is a hard pill for a lot to stomach.......that constituency (like most) is expecting ideas from their elected officials that will improve their lives.....not ones that will only have a wee detrimental impact.

I tend to lean towards the "don't tear it down" side of the argument ....not because, primarily, what it will do to commute times or angry drivers....I just happen to think the benefits in terms of access to the waterfront and connecting the waterfront to the city are overrated.

I can, however, get on board with the idea if it is tied to improvements to the various transit lines/systems that are currently not seen as viable alternatives to so many people.

That said, I suspect that most people opposed are so because of the perceived lengthening of commute times. If I was a PR firm advising the proponents of tearing the down the Gardiner I would have cautioned them against using words like "only an additional 10 minutes" when describing the effect on commute times. For one thing, drivers will not believe that it is only 10 minutes and for another thing, when you are talking about the worst commute times in Canada and amongst the worst in North America, an additional 10 minutes is a hard pill for a lot to stomach.......that constituency (like most) is expecting ideas from their elected officials that will improve their lives.....not ones that will only have a wee detrimental impact.

What does all this have to do with Finch LRT?

Oh Mammoliti

Toronto city councillor Giorgio Mammoliti believes a light-rail line down the middle of Finch Avenue will routinely back up traffic and destroy businesses. But he felt the need to “do something a little drastic” to bring the point home.

That’s why he arranged for a transport truck to pull a u-turn through the closed-off intersection of Finch Avenue West and Weston Road on Thursday morning. Blocking the intersection at 10:30 a.m., for approximately 15 minutes, led to long lineups of cars in all directions, with drivers honking throughout.

By building an LRT line above ground, trucks and other large vehicles would be forced to frequently make similar wide turns that block traffic, the councillor argued. Burying the line would avoid increasing traffic along Finch, he said.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...-and-weston-road-closed-for-anti-lrt-protest/

I would be for making the same Sheppard Subway a Finch subway in the west and rebranding it as an uptown subway line which hits significant areas of course.

Because Mammoliti and Ford won't shut up about it
Who cares? One or both will be out of a job come October, and more importantly there is nowhere near enough support for a Finch subway in Council.

Code-red is wasting their time, though that's nothing new for them.

Back