News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

This is the fundamental scam of LRT. Slower acceleration, slower decelaration, slower top speeds, slower turns, slower doors opening and closing.
Spent a an excrutiating 25 minutes waiting for the 511 at Exhibition Loop the other day, watching 509s inch past one another over switches and come to full stops at unused stop posts (why I dont know) while heading down the platform to their actual pick up location. Found myself at Kipling Station later the same day, watching buses swoop in and out of bays at speeds literally unfound on the streetcar network. Quite hilarious that the 'bad' busses are capable of operating at speeds and bay density that is simply impossible on the billion dollar streetcars.

P.S. Thought it was worth noting my 44 Kipling South bus showed up on time (as it does 95% of the time) despite not having any dedicated right of way that the 511 enjoys
The slower acceleration is not at all the case with an actual LRT (or even the existing streetcars). The streetcar network itself is slower at that only during the day and only because operators are more cautious and vigilant due to the increased risk of incursions by car drivers and pedestrians and so they don't use the full capabilities that the streetcars can do. But as someone who has frequented the night streetcar services and the ION LRT in Waterloo I can tell you for certain that the streetcars and light rail vehicles on Lines 5 and 6 can actually accelerate much quicker than a bus can. Same goes with the slower top speeds during the day they tend to not go at the posted speed limit but at night they actually go a bit over the posted limit. The streetcars only go slower over the special track work (the switches and turnouts) due to a long standing policy of the TTC that exists solely because of past incidents involving unreliable switches and the limitations of the Necessary Action (NA) controllers that control them. Line 5 and 6 don't have those issues as the switches are controlled by a standard interlocking control system and so operators are going to be able to travel line speed across all switches that are in the "normal" direction.

Back