News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I couldn't care less about the race track, but I'd like to see the LRT reach Rexdale

The race track is only one trip generator in the area; there is a large shopping / entertainment Woodbine Life complex there.

The western LRT extension is useful, although I would add the section between Keele and Yonge first.

The race track is only one trip generator in the area; there is a large shopping / entertainment Woodbine Life complex there.

The western LRT extension is useful, although I would add the section between Keele and Yonge first.

I think the attraction of the western extension to the race track and the Woodbine Mall is that they're both great off-peak trip generators. They'll help ensure that the line isn't running empty outside of peak. Also, the western extension is far less expensive than the extension to Yonge, because the ROW is plenty wide enough to accommodate, whereas to Yonge will require a pretty significant reconstruction of the street.

I think the attraction of the western extension to the race track and the Woodbine Mall is that they're both great off-peak trip generators. They'll help ensure that the line isn't running empty outside of peak.

That's a good point. Indeed, there should be significant off-peak, counter-peak, and weekend ridership if the LRT links North Etobicoke to the Woodbine complex.

Also, the western extension is far less expensive than the extension to Yonge, because the ROW is plenty wide enough to accommodate, whereas to Yonge will require a pretty significant reconstruction of the street.

I don't expect major problems with the Keele-to-Yonge section. Finch West is wide, except for the short (300 m) section adjacent to Yonge where a tunnel leading to an underground Yonge / Finch interchange is desirable. The rest should easily fit on surface.

Finch Avenue West is 36 meters wide for its entire length, according this this City of a Toronto document: http://www1.toronto.ca/static_files/CityPlanning/PDF/3_row_dec2010.pdf

That means this road is appropriate for LRT. For comparison, this is the same width as Spadina Avenue.

That document is too generic. If you look it up at map.toronto.ca (and checkmark Property Lines), you can find that there are areas where the distances between property lines are 28 - 31 m. The distances between actual buildings are 36 m or more everywhere, except one spot in the vicinity of Yonge where it is 35 m.

I don't expect major space problems for Finch West anyway; but it may be useful to bring it underground just before Yonge, both to avoid those bottlenecks and to handle the high-volume transfer between LRT and subway.

I don't expect major space problems for Finch West anyway; but it may be useful to bring it underground just before Yonge, both to avoid those bottlenecks and to handle the high-volume transfer between LRT and subway.
Which is, I believe, what the plan is, in the already-completed EA from Finch West to Finch stations.

Construction was supposed to start this year, 2015, to be completed by 2019, from Keele Street (Finch West Station) to Humber College, as phase one. See link.

However, due to anti-transit pressures, construction start has been postponed until 2016. See link.

Sheppard LRT had shovels in the ground. Eglinton West subway had shovels in the ground. I wouldn't celebrate too early if I were you.

The GO level crossing at Agincourt was the very first construction phase for the Sheppard East LRT.

agincourtlrtea.jpg

7399520732_7006dc26ba_b.jpg

It includes space for the light rail right-of-way under the GO tracks.

For a look at how it looks now, see link.

Attachments

• agincourtlrtea.jpg
    agincourtlrtea.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,126
  • 7399520732_7006dc26ba_b.jpg
    7399520732_7006dc26ba_b.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 886
Last edited:
I'd assume that grade separation is useful for improving GO service whether the Sheppard LRT is built or not.

They made the bridge large enough for two tracks.. right?

Sheppard LRT had shovels in the ground. Eglinton West subway had shovels in the ground. I wouldn't celebrate too early if I were you.

Regardless, it's good to see the project moving forward. An LRT line that won't be taking lanes away from drivers and won't cost as much as a subway line has a good chance of being built.

Regardless, it's good to see the project moving forward. An LRT line that won't be taking lanes away from drivers and won't cost as much as a subway line has a good chance of being built.
Yeah, I just hope they really hammer home that first point.

I'd assume that grade separation is useful for improving GO service whether the Sheppard LRT is built or not.

They made the bridge large enough for two tracks.. right?

yep.

The bridge was badly needed for the Stouffville line, which has a huge amount of at grade crossings, across some extremely busy roads in some cases. It badly needs 5-6 grade separations ASAP. Highway 7, Steeles, finch, Kennedy, Danforth, etc. are all at grade crossings.

I like the idea of a transit hub at a Woodbine station. If Finch West connects with YYZ Airport, then there isn't a need for SmartTrack to connect directly with the airport.

If an NFL franchise should ever come to Toronto, I can only imagine it coming to the Woodbine Racetrack. If that day comes, I would be in favor of a FWLRT and GO RER/SmartTrack hub.

Back