News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I like the idea of a transit hub at a Woodbine station. If Finch West connects with YYZ Airport, then there isn't a need for SmartTrack to connect directly with the airport.

If an NFL franchise should ever come to Toronto, I can only imagine it coming to the Woodbine Racetrack. If that day comes, I would be in favor of a FWLRT and GO RER/SmartTrack hub.

How many visitors per day does Woodbine generate? I can't imagine that this transport hub would be very well used.

And I think connecting SmartTrack to the airport would be a better option than the LRT.

How many visitors per day does Woodbine generate? I can't imagine that this transport hub would be very well used.

And I think connecting SmartTrack to the airport would be a better option than the LRT.
Well, the one occasion I used Transit leaving there in the evening, most of the people on the bus with me looked like they worked there. And a lot more people got on at the mall across the street than at the racetrack.

Previously (here on UT), there have been ideas for a sort of Pearson Terminal 2 at Highway 27 / rail corridor area, which could connect Finch West LRT, UPX, and GO Transit.

I couldn't care less about the race track, but I'd like to see the LRT reach Rexdale
would likely serve Humber College en route to Woodbine. As for the multimodal station someone else mentioned, if the peoplemover had been done with LRVs and extended to the rail alignment, we could have had that already and no need for a separate UPX spur.

would likely serve Humber College en route to Woodbine. As for the multimodal station someone else mentioned, if the peoplemover had been done with LRVs and extended to the rail alignment, we could have had that already and no need for a separate UPX spur.

As well at the Etobicoke General Hospital at Highway 27 & Humber College Blvd..

Does anyone know why Westmore Station and Highway 27 Station are so close on FWLRT? They're only 200 meters apart; approximately a minute walk.

Likewise, Stevenson and Albion stations are only 300 meters apart. I think they may be trying to service apartment blocks here.

I don't know which plans you looked at, but according to the EA, the stations would be about 600 metres, or nearly 2000 feet, which is more like 7-8 minutes. The other two stops you named are very close together. I recall that the Steven stop was added during the study process. I assume the locals asked for it due to the cluster of big towers and shopping nearby.

If you look at the google street view of that corner, you see a full bus shelter with a kid and a baby in a stroller. I think it's a neighborhood with all sorts of people making trips of all length at all times of the day. That and the predicted ridership make LRT a much better choice than subway for Finch.

I don't know which plans you looked at, but according to the EA, the stations would be about 600 metres, or nearly 2000 feet, which is more like 7-8 minutes.

I had incorrectly assumed that the Highway 27 Station was on the corner of Highway 27 and Finch. It's actually on the corner of Highway 27 and Humber College Boulevard. I didn't remember that the line dipped south into Humber College

Might want to consider moving etobicoke north station west to hwy 27 as well. Since we are creating a multimodal station here. Though I'm not sure how or where the wye for the upx branch comes into play.

Might be too late though as etobicoke north is being rebuilt currently.

Somewhat related, but I've always thought renaming Etobicoke North GO Station as Rexdale GO Station might be a nice touch. Moving it slightly west to Hwy. 27 would put it more in the heart of Rexdale too.

Last edited:
Continued funding and commitment for Finch West LRT in 2015 Budget

The Finch West and Sheppard East LRT projects, which will provide reliable and improved transit service on these busy corridors. The Finch West LRT will run along Finch Avenue between Humber College and Keele Street, and the Sheppard East LRT will run along Sheppard Avenue from Don Mills Station to Morningside Avenue. The procurement process for the Finch West LRT project is expected to begin later in 2015.

See here for transit funding details: http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/ontariobudgets/2015/ch1b.html#ch1b_3

Back