News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The extension of this FWLRT to the airport must be far off into the future, and it really is quite close to Humber College, but it occurred to me today that after the extension down Highway 27 to Woodbine, the route would run smack dab into the Kitchener GO line which also carries another Metrolinx line to the airport..the UPX.

I'm wondering, would the FWLRT actually continue into the airport or would it meet the UPX, forcing travelers to transfer to that line (presumably there would be a new station built at the junction since at that time in the future UPX will be electrified)?

It seems kind of redundant to have the UPX literally right next door and have the FWLRT continue into the airport. Let alone the ECLRT which will also be extended into the airport.

IMO, the overlap between the LRT extension and the UPX line will be too short to make a transfer sensible. Plus, if ECLRT gets extended to the airport, it will have terminal that can be shared with Finch LRT.

"Kipling", "Islington", "Jane", and "Keele" are already taken by the 2 Bloor-Danforth Line, and can't be used by the Finch West LRT. What names would they be given instead? Since the Finch West LRT may get a Martin Grove stop before the Eglinton Crosstown LRT gets there, it should be first dibs with "Martin Grove" as its stop name.

Last edited:
With the increased money from the Feds, how likely is the eastern extension to Finch station happening?

Considering it's a priority for nobody, zero.
Though it may well depend on what unfunded shovel-ready projects with approved EAs there are.

And we've got the Eglinton line extension to Renforth. A couple of stops at the east end of the Sheppard East line. The Finch West piece between Yonge and Keele. And the Scarborough-Malvern line.

Who knows what the future holds.

Though it may well depend on what unfunded shovel-ready projects with approved EAs there are.

And we've got the Eglinton line extension to Renforth. A couple of stops at the east end of the Sheppard East line. The Finch West piece between Yonge and Keele. And the Scarborough-Malvern line.

Who knows what the future holds.

I believe @innsertnamehere said the EA for ECLRT west to Renforth has expired. So that is no longer shovel ready (if true).

Thus, the only shovel ready major transit expansions are FWLRT and SELRT.

I believe @innsertnamehere said the EA for ECLRT west to Renforth has expired. So that is no longer shovel ready (if true).

Thus, the only shovel ready major transit expansions are FWLRT and SELRT.
How is that even possible, as it's the same EA they are using to build the rest of the line, which they haven't even mobilized yet on the key contract.

Though, even if true, it's not a difficult process in revising it - which invariably happens during the final design process - compared to starting from scratch.

How is that even possible, as it's the same EA they are using to build the rest of the line, which they haven't even mobilized yet on the key contract.

Though, even if true, it's not a difficult process in revising it - which invariably happens during the final design process - compared to starting from scratch.

There is definitely a shelf-life to EAs before they expire - go ask the City about how the original one for grade separating Steeles Ave. E. at the Uxbridge Sub, for instance - but I think that the timing is more like 20 years.

Unless transit EAs, because they go through a shorter process, do have a faster expiry as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Actually, it may be that because ECLRT west might be redesigned that a new EA is necessary?

Considering it's a priority for nobody, zero.

Considering the full Finch line was supposed to be built and was cut due to funding issues, I don't see why it shouldn't be a priority. If the funding is available, it should be made a priority and should not depend on no politician to deem it a priority. We are seeing how the Eglinton extension was on the backburner until it is now being revived with Smart Track.

Zooming in on the Humber College stop, I've noticed a walkway (underground?) on the south end of the stop. Seems to lead to a ramp on the east side of Highway 27 for accessible access to Etobicoke General Hospital. It's a start.
Humber College stop.jpg

The bad news is that users of the ramp then have to safari across a prairie and an asphalt desert to reach the hospital. Imagine doing so during a winter blizzard. Especially when there is a strong cold north wind blowing. Lets hope that they put some kind of wind barrier or covered walkway to the hospital, if they don't extend the hospital extension closer.

Attachments

• Humber College stop.jpg
    Humber College stop.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,085
The presentation says they hope to award the contract in late 2016. I thought it was 2017 previously. So that's positive.

Who knows, perhaps the 2021 opening will be before the Eglinton line! Certainly a lot less that can go wrong here.

Shame that they've deferred Sheppard East. Now that Infrastructure Ontario seems to have gotten the hang of tendering this type of project, it could have been done next. Though with the Scarborough subway extension and SmartTrack plans seeming to take form, I'm seeing less obstacles to that one, other than petty politics.

Back