News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

In fairness, how would one use ATC on a line that is not grade separated?

On such a line as this I question the necessity of even block signalling. What's wrong with line of sight operation like they have on the legacy network?

In fairness, how would one use ATC on a line that is not grade separated?

On such a line as this I question the necessity of even block signalling. What's wrong with line of sight operation like they have on the legacy network?

It's my understanding that Automatic Train Supervision, in this case, is about ensuring consistent headways by adjusting the maximum operating speed and requesting priority from stoplights for vehicles which are not ahead of schedule.

A driver will still be responsible for deciding when to go and when to stop (like if there is a pedestrian on the tracks), the CBTC (Thales Seltrac) system will be responsible for deciding how fast it goes. I'm unsure how regular platform stop locations are implemented, possibly the ATS is responsible for that too.

Last edited:
April 16
More up on my site
52843349357_fc3444d502_b.jpg

52843925071_b0a10a17dd_b.jpg

I yet to see how the rails are installed as there is only a grove in the concrete at this time.
52843348052_e859507beb_b.jpg

52843348042_ae8d4ee0de_b.jpg

One grove is wider to allow for the grove rail.
52843924756_17a8bedece_b.jpg

52844327485_56b5a530e2_b.jpg

52843347622_52bca85931_b.jpg

52843924351_74c36272f9_b.jpg

52844327180_4091f0726a_b.jpg

52844371888_115ea7d182_b.jpg

I yet to see how the rails are installed as there is only a grove in the concrete at this time.
They lay the rail into the groove and then grout it in place. The idea is that there is enough fixational support with the special concrete used to prevent gauge issues.

One grove is wider to allow for the grove rail.
52843924756_17a8bedece_b.jpg
Not groove rail. They are installing two pieces of T-rail side-by-side for flange guidance.

Dan

They lay the rail into the groove and then grout it in place. The idea is that there is enough fixational support with the special concrete used to prevent gauge issues.

Not groove rail. They are installing two pieces of T-rail side-by-side for flange guidance.

Dan
Thanks as it confirms what I expected when I first saw the grove concrete and where the rail was installed.

It looked then that the rail was held in place by special type of bonding material. Since I am only looked at the line on a rare case, don't get a closer looked at the line like I did for the Eglinton Line

As for double T rail, again this line is been built like no other line I have seen on my travels including the Hurontario Line. Hurontario is using Grove rail and I believe Crosstown has a few spots as well.

Here we have 3 LRT lines within 25 miles of each other and all of them are being built completely different with Eglinton being over built. Can't recalled what took place for the ION line, but I think Grove rail was used without digging through photos I shot for the line.

I swear this is going to open before Eglinton 😆
This line should be open by Q2 2024 at the latest to the point we may have 2 lines opening the same weekend or a week apart. No way this line will see service this year as plan.

As for double T rail, again this line is been built like no other line I have seen on my travels including the Hurontario Line. Hurontario is using Grove rail and I believe Crosstown has a few spots as well.
First off, it's Groove rail. There is no such thing as "grove" rail.

Using two pieces of T rail for the flangeways has been done in loads of places elsewhere, although not in Toronto before. It helps save money on specialized trackwork and minimizes using non-standard rail profiles. There seem to a be a couple of consulting firms that have picked up a number of the more recent LRT projects that seem to really enjoy using and spec'ing it.

Here we have 3 LRT lines within 25 miles of each other and all of them are being built completely different with Eglinton being over built. Can't recalled what took place for the ION line, but I think Grove rail was used without digging through photos I shot for the line.
I can't see how you can figure that Eglinton is "over built", considering that it going to be running a considerably higher amount of service than the other two lines. The more service is run, the higher the standard of infrastructure should be used.

ION used special profile guard rail on the inside of curves, which bolts to the inside of standard profile T rail.

Dan

They better be checking the specs and the tracks now on Line 6. Don't want to have to dig up the concrete or other problems because of the 260 deficiencies
like they found with Line 5.

As to the grouting I was seeing for the line, it looks like it's the Dutch Edilon Sedra embedded rail track system that is being used, This uses a Corkelast grout to hold the rails into slots in a concrete track bed (https://youtu.be/KOE5LpQDKRM)

Wondering how this compare to other methods on all levels?

Strange I never noticed this when we were in Amsterdam and Rotterdam last year nor 2012 while I was in Amsterdam.

If you have travelled to cities in Europe or South America you will recall the beauty of their Avenues and Boulevards. What could be Toronto's Avenues and boulevards are simple traffic conduits. There's nothing beautiful about any of the major streets criss crossing the city Sheppard, Finch, Steeles, Wilson, Lawrence or north-south routes like Keele. Why are there no centre landscaped medians, no curb side plantings or even dare I say roundabouts with art installations, fountains, monuments or sculpture. With all the money spent on re-imagining Finch St W, I see absolutely nothing beautiful in the cold, pragmatic, efficiency of the new traffic conduit. Let some European or Latin American city planners have a go.

Attachments

• Chile Santiago Araucano Park 26 streetscape.jpg
    Chile Santiago Araucano Park 26 streetscape.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 34
  • PERU Lima Barranco 12 Malecon Saenz Pena.jpg
    PERU Lima Barranco 12 Malecon Saenz Pena.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 26
  • PERU Lima Barranco 17 Malecon Saenz Pena Monument San Martin.jpg
    PERU Lima Barranco 17 Malecon Saenz Pena Monument San Martin.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 29
  • PERU Lima Barranco 50 tangled trees.jpg
    PERU Lima Barranco 50 tangled trees.jpg