News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicago replaced its Carrera marble with granite. Let's see what Toronto chooses to do.

If I recall correctly, that was wildly expensive (but so worth it).

If I could make a little wish: should they reclad it, please make the lines vertical!

This is a little exaggerated. The reason it didn't hit anyone on the street is because it didn't land on the street. Apparently it landed on the top of the podium.

I hope this really makes BMO do something to make the building safer and more aesthetically pleasing.

Why verticalize FCP, anyway? Such vertically striped shafts were already seen as the ne plus ultra of architectural banality, anyway (WTC not excepted). Only the pinheaded adolescents at SSC would go "oh, wow" over that.

Keep FCP horizontal, even if it makes it look like a giant CD tower....

when I worked opposite FCP at RT Tower between 99-02, there were always panels missing, and I spotted some on the concourse roof between FCP and exchange plaza. Seems to never go away

FCP doesn't seem to have as serious a problem as they had with Aon, where the marble was literally buckling and popping off. All 83 stories of big stan were reclad with granite at around $60 million in 1990. Granite is a hardier and easier material to clean, but I have a feeling that Brookfield would not commit to such a costly revamp.

I think they've been slowly repalcing some of the marble- hence the patchwork. However it's still not clear to me why in the meantime they don't just give FCP a good head-to-toe scrubbing.

its funny how good the scotia tower is holding up in comparison to BMO.

Scotia, Commerce Court North and South, The TD Centre, The Royal Bank Towers, the list could go on.

I'd love to see the whole thing reclad in a rflective skin, and I've said it before that I'm sure the mable could be salvaged to some degree and sold. They could even make a few design changes at the top and bring FCP up over the 1000 foot mark, not that would impress anybody but us.

While the area is blocked off it'd be nice if the rest fell off.

may1607-marbletile_rdax_320x240.jpg

Why verticalize FCP, anyway? Such vertically striped shafts were already seen as the ne plus ultra of architectural banality, anyway (WTC not excepted). Only the pinheaded adolescents at SSC would go "oh, wow" over that.

Keep FCP horizontal, even if it makes it look like a giant CD tower....

So if it does not match your subjective fashion sense (and it is just a fashion opinion and nothing more), it is considered banal and the thinking of "pinheads?"

Why should such an idea illicit such an extreme comment?

So if it does not match your subjective fashion sense (and it is just a fashion opinion and nothing more), it is considered banal and the thinking of "pinheads?"

And...?

Clearly, this is your inaugural adma-wrangling experience.

Why should such an idea illicit such an extreme comment?

Good luck - you'll never receive a reasonable or cogent answer to that question.

Prepare to be dubbed "Cletus", and then clubbed o'er the head with those hideous Nathan Phillips Square walkways.

Again.

Clearly, this is your inaugural adma-wrangling experience.

It is just like being a parent at a playground though. You want to warn your children that if they swing too high or spin the merry-go-round to fast they are going to hurt themselves or puke. Instead you let them find out on their own and watch patiently for it too happen, laughing out loud when it finally does.

Godspeed Hydrogen.

It looks like it will be some time before King Street reopens again.

From the Star:

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/214373

King St. to stay closed

140-kg chunk drops almost 60 storeys from First Canadian Place

May 16, 2007 07:08 AM
ROBYN DOOLITTLE
Staff Reporter

Toronto police announced this afternoon that Adelaide St. W and Bay St. have been reopened to traffic but King St. will remain closed, perhaps for several days, as the results of a slab of marble falling from First Canadian Place.

The marble fell off the building yesterday at the height of a severe thunderstorm that swept through the GTA and police closed all streets in the vicinity of the building.

Traffic in downtown Toronto was backed up just about everywhere and streetcar and bus service in the area was disrupted.

As of 4 o'clock this afternoon, only King St. was blocked off to traffic, including street cars.

Nearly 50,000 people ride the King St. car every day.

Sections of King St. W and Adelaide St., from Bay St. west to York St., were closed around 5 p.m. yesterday after the 140-kilogram slab of marble plunged 60 storeys to a third-floor roof below.

Police believe strong winds may have played a part in the incident.

Shortly before the chunk fell yesterday, ground wind speeds were measured at about 40 kilometres per hour, with gusts reaching 50 kp/h.

Thousands of marble slabs decorate the First Canadian Place tower and many, of not all, will have to be inspected.

Passersby stopped to take camera phone snapshots and to gawk at the gapping hole on the building’s west side.

Employees of firms in the building were able to report to work today by accessing the underground shopping areas.

TTC spokesperson Marilyn Bolton said streetcar service will be affected as long as the area is closed.

[....]

It's the second time in three months that downtown Toronto residents had to worry about debris falling from a tall building. Parts of the Gardiner Expressway were closed for 24 hours in early March, when sheets of ice fell from the CN Tower.

With files from Tamsyn Burgmann and Thulasi Srikanthan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back