News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the area is blocked off it'd be nice if the rest fell off.

Hmm, with that spot exposed and the wet weather we've had lately all we need is some nice freeze-thaw action to see them popping. Any below-zero temperatures forecast for the new few days? No? Damn...

BMO doesn't actually own the tower. All of the banks sold their HQ buildings quite some time ago. They're still principal tenants, though.

they should just wrap the whole building in saran wrap!

they could drape the whole building in some sort of see through screen that directs the falling slabs to the podium of FCP and keep them from falling on people.

With chunks falling off of 1 King West, ice sliding off the tower, and signs dropping in Dundas Square you better look up when walking!

Now New York wants to be just like us!!

2 hurt by falling WTC skyscraper debris By AMY WESTFELDT, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 13 minutes ago

A 15-foot pipe fell off a skyscraper being dismantled near the World Trade Center site and plunged through the roof of a nearby firehouse Thursday, injuring two firefighters, officials said.

Demolition work was stopped on the 40-story former Deutsche Bank building after the sprinkler pipe fell from the 35th floor onto Engine 10/Ladder 10.

The firehouse was nearly destroyed in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Six of its firefighters were among the 343 killed responding to the burning World Trade Center, and a bronze memorial to all the firefighters who died is now affixed to the building.

The neighboring skyscraper, being dismantled floor by floor, was heavily damaged when one of the twin towers collapsed into it. Cleanup of toxic material in the building began in 2005, and work to dismantle it began late last year.

Workers from John Galt Corp. were cutting the pipe at around 7 a.m. when it dislodged and fell through the firehouse roof below, officials said. Two firefighters were treated for minor injuries and released, fire officials said. The firefighters weren't hit by the pipe, the department said.

The city Buildings Department issued John Galt Corp. a violation for failure to safeguard the public and property, spokeswoman Kate Lindquist said. A message left with the company wasn't immediately returned Thursday.

Work dismantling the former Deutsche Bank building has been stopped before by environmental regulators. A search is also ongoing for hundreds of human bones that have been recovered from the building over the past 18 months.

___

when I worked opposite FCP at RT Tower between 99-02, there were always panels missing, and I spotted some on the concourse roof between FCP and exchange plaza. Seems to never go away
Can anyone report more on this? I too remember panels missing from FCP and pictures of them lying broken on the concourse roof. However, I can't remember the press ever noticing before. While it's being reported as "the first time this has happened" I suspect it actually isn't.

Believe it or not, a reporter from one of Toronto's major dailies is following this thread, so if anyone has any info on this happening before, please share!

I recall discussing this in the past with photos of the north frontage with missing tiles. However, the north side doesn't front a street like the south does so it makes some sense that there was less concern.

WTF! BMO curse?

Emergency repairs needed for BMO Field

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story/?ID=208096&hubname=soccer

According to The Globe and Mail, an official with the Toronto FC soccer club has confirmed that the club is making emergency repairs to the new BMO Field because bolts and fasteners have fallen from the stands during games.

At the heart of BMO's crisis, a 'smart and cautious' trader

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070518.RBMOLEE18/TPStory/Business

NEW YORK, TORONTO -- The way former colleagues see it, David Lee is the sort of guy any bank would love to hire: intelligent, hard-working, loyal and - a rarity in the brutally competitive trading world - downright modest.

Certainly, none of them envisaged this father of two would be ousted from his senior trading post at the brokerage arm of Bank of Montreal amid a spiralling scandal that has dented the company's reputation, resulted in more than half a billion dollars in losses, and prompted a wide-ranging internal investigation.

spiralling? like a 300lb chunk of marble from the side of a building making its way to the ground through the air? :p

does anyone notice some sort of synchronicity happening here?

if you got a jacket with the letters BMO, i wouldn't cross the street with it. you might slip on a BMO transaction record, get run over by a brinks truck carrying BMO's money, have a slab of marble fall on your head and some screwball soccer fan that was just at BMO field might kick you in the nuts ;)

503309978_6b63137d41_o.jpg

From the Post:

Replacing marble front could be an option
First Canadian Place
Matthew Coutts, National Post
Published: Friday, May 18, 2007

The owners of First Canadian Place did not rule out replacing the building's entire marble cladding yesterday, something a similar Chicago skyscraper did after marble panels started dropping to the streets below.

Engineers have been inspecting the 72-storey building since a 140 kilogram marble tile fell from the 60th floor on Tuesday, to determine what has to be done to make the tower safe. Among the options: Replacing the building's 44,000 marble tiles.

"I can't really speculate on any long term or short term solution until our engineers report in. We'll be coming up with a plan of action, but don't have any specifics yet," said Melissa Coley, a vice-president at Brookfield Properties.

First Canadian Place, completed in 1975, was one of two marble- clad skyscrapers designed by architect Edward Durell Stone to finish construction in the '70s. The other, Chicago's Standard Oil building, now named the Aon Center, was completed in 1973 and began having issues with its marble exterior almost immediately. In 1990 the task of replacing 43,000 marble tiles with granite ones began. It cost US$80-million.

The buildings' exterior shells, Italian carrara marble, are rarely used in construction because of how poorly they stand up to the elements, said Harry Stinson, Toronto's best-known real estate developer, who manages the nearby One King West condo/ hotel.

"Water is the worst enemy to a building. If it penetrates into the skin of the building, into the marble, in behind the marble, the marble will absorb moisture. With any material that absorbs water, over time, situation are likely going to arise," he said.

"It is a grand material, but I think its use is best confined to an ornamental base of the building. To do an extremely tall building all in marble cladding is historically not a good thing to do."

The marble tiles are about 18 inches by 36 inches and one and a quarter inches thick. They are inspected frequently by Brookfield Properties to ensure they are holding up to natural wear and tear.

"Twice a year they did an audit of the panels. They've been replacing panels as they thought appropriate to change. Over the last couple of years they've been replacing panels," said Jim Laughlin, Toronto's deputy chief building official.

Although Brookfield had itself identified hundreds of the panels as potential hazards, Mr. Laughlin said the city was not aware of any potential risk until they were alerted on Tuesday night, at which point they ordered First Canadian Place to make the area safe.

"They're active in assessing the panels that are remaining in order to determine very quickly if there are any at all that have any similar characteristics to the one that got dislodged and fell," he said. "We still consider the building to be in an unsafe condition."

King Street remained closed to traffic yesterday, and will remain so until the city is satisfied the area is secure, he said: "If there are any [tiles] left that are any potential risk, they'll replace them immediately. When they can verify for us that everything is in a safe condition then we'll open up King Street."

Engineers have not suggested replacing all of the panels, and the city has not requested it.

"I don't think it's necessary. [The engineers] have not made any indication of replacing all the panels," Mr. Laughlin said.

Mr. Stinson said he would think now is the time to make a change similar to what happened in Chicago.

"They could do the very extensive process of removing every panel and refastening it. I think if they're going to go to that extent they would probably be better off to put different panels on instead of a slab of white marble," he said.

"I think it would be an opportune time to put some new material on that building or else the same thing's going to happen."

First Canadian Place was bought by Brookfield Properties 18 months ago from Philip Reichmann's O & Y Corp. It is home to the Toronto Stock Exchange and the head office of the Bank of Montreal.

© National Post 2007

The model in the Metro article looked interesting, if nothing else. FCP is architectually underwhelming - the least interesting of all the bank towers.

But building tips from Harry Stinson? That's a bit of a laugh.

The model makes FCP look like a white version of Montreal's exchange tower

What a nightmare. A small piece of a building falls off and the ripple-effect on the TTC spreads commuter chaos right across downtown. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Just getting home to change into my penguin suit and grab a bite to eat last night before the opera took an hour. There were streetcars on Church Street with destinations and numbers I'd never seen before. Getting home to the Summer Palace was like The Incredible Journey. I ran into a neighbour, who said the TTC website gave no explanation about the new routes. We waited in vain at King, and finally walked up Church to Queen, getting the Neville across to Carlaw and the bus north. Heading downtown to the Four Seasons Centre I tried to find a Carlton 506, but there were shuttle buses instead. I hovered at the intersection of Broadview and Gerrard and eventually took a King car downtown, which looped around Wellington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back