News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't have been so bad if they had just changed the old blue one to the new red circle. But noooooo, they had to include the "BMO" as well throwing the porportions out of wack.

I picture TD getting a bright idea and hauling a huge "Canada Trust" to hang below the TD logo on BCE Place. *shudder*

Here's an image I did a number of years ago about a possible way to renovate the top of the tower.
Given your observation-deck comments, would it be pre-9/11?
300px-Tourist_Guy_E-Mail_Hoax_September_11th_2001_New_York_City.jpg

Actually, no I did the mock-up after September 11, 2001, adma. Though the comparison to the lost 2 World Trade Center tower was obvious to me at the time.
The wonderful experience of having stood on that rooftop observation deck just a few years previous was an influence - that, and creating it as a tribute to what was gone, I suppose.

Screw prudence; This building wants to be refurbished.

It's telling us so!

Well, there's straight-reclad refurbishment, and then there's "extreme makeover" type refurbishment. Remember that in Chicago, they only reclad Big Stan--given the date, they could well have been tempted to go further by PoMo pippydoodaddling it instead; and maybe we're better off that they didn't, whatever the quality of the existing architecture.

If FCP is indeed in need of a re-clad, I don't see why its design which is far from heritage calibre cannot be re-addressed. While I appreciate Adma seeing the quality in everything (the narration is beyond annoying though) including a nicely formed piece of dog shit on a sidewalk - it is still dog shit

Ah, but who's to say FCP *isn't* "of heritage calibre"? Maybe not in the frozen-in-amber (or rather, frozen-in-marble) sense; but certainly, as a prominent and familiar urban landmark, a tallest-building-in-the-commonwealth, as part of a noted international architect's oeuvre, etc. And--yes--as something *not* as architecturally execrable as its detractors claim. (Though I'm more than willing to reality-check those who want to claim it as some kind of immaculate design masterpiece as well; that is, by reminding them of Edward Durell Stone's bad-rep-for-good-reasons, etc.)

Look at it this way; we can take the WTC as a comparison point, particularly given the structural similarities. Now, it may be argued that the Twin Towers were even *more* reviled on architectural and urbanistic grounds (and merited it, too). Yet in the end, even before 9/11, they inspired a sort of affection, to the point where leaving well enough alone would, in my estimation, have been preferrable to a supposedly "sin-atoning" extreme makeover. In a certain sense, it was even loved for being hated. (However, it isn't to the point where I'd have declared common cause with rebuild-the-Twins pinheads, either.)

So yes, FCP's not a whoop-de-doo masterpiece. But I'd sooner advocate some form of architectural status quo than to let overidealistic Sim City kiddies with Photoshop make well-meaning yet cheesy decisions on its future appearance.

Oh, and about the "heritage calibre" business; it needn't preclude recladding--besides, maybe it's less about this simplistic, oft-abused word "heritage" than about general urban decorum...

i agree with adma. though it's no american radiator building or ESB, imagine what we this day would think if they reclad the those buildings with with futuristic aluminium or changed their design back in the 70's all in the name of progress.

something of this status should look the same. future generations will thank us. it doesn't look bad. it would look strange for something soo familiar to have a drastic change in style.

stripes be gone

I wouldn't mind if the facade got a total rethink. The marble could get replaced with Neoparies (thick white glass material) or the whole thing fritted with solar cells. Practically anything would be an improvement...

Maybe Brookfied could install some of the systems they used at the new New York Times tower. Though tall and a bit boxy, unlike FCP it soars.

The argument of *heritage status* for the sake of heritage status is largely meaningless in this case. No one is suggesting that the building is either going away; nor is it likely to be drastically modified because of the prohibitive costs. The problem is the marble, and that must be replaced - along with the system by which it is fastened to the building. Endless repairs to inappropriate materials is simply not an option, and to argue otherwise is silly.

Exactly. If you notice, I haven't been arguing for keeping the *cladding* status quo at all...

Exactly. If you notice, I haven't been arguing for keeping the *cladding* status quo at all...

A lot of it, too, is based upon an (often contemptuous) interpretation of "heritage status" meaning "leave absitively, posolutely *everything* alone"...

At the very least, it should get the Chicago Aon white granite treatment. I'm not a big FCP fan, though, and I'm even less of a fan of having the tallest building in a city be one of the uglier ones. FCP's original design is alright, and would work fine on a smaller building... but considering the height, it sticks out like a sore thumb (especially because the white contrasts so garishly with the darker towers surrounding it). This is probably our best chance to get it recladded for a long time, so let's hope that it gets cleaned up a bit.

I like the idea of extending the facade higher to cover the ugly mechanical elements too... now that I think about it, I'm more and more shocked that there are actually people in favour of preserving the status quo with this building. If wanting an ugly building cleaned up makes me a "sim city kiddie" or something, that's fine. :)

sl64, I agree with you. if this building was of smaller scale and tucked away and out of site I would care less how it was maintained. And I'm sure given to the right architectural firm it could become an iconic building not merely because it's our tallest office tower. As the cities tallest office I think a building has the added responsibility (imo) to take care of it's appearance as long as it dominates the skyline.

btw, FCP is not the tallest building in the Commonwealth, Q1, Eureka, Petronas Towers, and Menara Telekom Tower are all taller buildings. Now these buildings may not all be great examples of architecture, but one thing they all have in common is a cladding that wont weather like marble does.

479075847_9e14dbf8e4_o.jpg

201671358_3c585b7411_o.jpg

50226114_21afd0185b_b.jpg

393556746_e39b51ff4f_o.jpg

I think he meant it used to be the tallest tower in the Commonwealth - I think until the completion of the Petronas in 1998. Correct me if I'm wrong though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back