News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I don't think there has ever been a show in the history of television that ever garnered and audience of 90% of the population in any significantly populated place. If you are gonna toss out statements like 90% of Western Canadians watched the Grey Cup....you are gonna have to back that up with a link/fact/quote.....sorry I don't believe it.

Okay I mean a lot of western canadians. for some reason.

A second NHL team will not bring down prices to NHL hockey in the GTA. No one is going to pay $100 million expansion fee or team purchase fee, a similar amount to the Leafs for the territory and $300 million to build an arena (so about half a billion dollars in total) just to charge less money!!!

Cheaper hockey (and good hockey) is and always will be available but cheap NHL hockey in the GTA is never going to happen!

I wish you were wrong but sadly this is the truth.
Here's the thing though......if NFL was so much more popular in Canada than CFL, would the TV ratings not show that in a bigger way? The Grey Cup on TSN (a cable channel) had an audience of 6.25 million people.........the Super Bowl on CTV (an over the air broadcaster) had a total audience of 6.7 million........so, across the whole country, the Super Bowl with all its hype drew an audience that was 450k larger than the audience that the Grey Cup got on cable!!!
http://tvguide.ca/TVNews/Articles/110208_super_bowl_ratings_DC.html

7.3 million watched the superbowl this year. so over 1 million more. But I understand your point here. I just think if we had a proper stadium then the NFL and CFL both survive here. I don't see the problem with that. People have to like what they like

Keep in mind that an awful lot of viewers watched the Superbowl because it's the Superbowl; not because it's the NFL...

6.25 million watched the last Grey Cup on TV!

That dont mean much..half of them could be like me that dont care much, but would watch the final, just like a bunch of my friends that again dont care much about hockey and the NHL during the season but are interested when the playoff finals arrive. Really, how many die-hard fans are there for the CFL season games here in Canada

I.if NFL was so much more popular in Canada than CFL, would the TV ratings not show that in a bigger way? The Grey Cup on TSN (a cable channel) had an audience of 6.25 million people.........the Super Bowl on CTV (an over the air broadcaster) had a total audience of 6.7 million........so, across the whole country, the Super Bowl with all its hype drew an audience that was 450k larger than the audience that the Grey Cup got on cable!!!

That says it all, here is a leauge that does not even have a Canadian franchise, and is attracting a higher television viewer audience...I say bring in a NFL team and viewer audience doubles.

Like it or not, Toronto is a big leauge sports hungry market..bring in the big names and people will come.:)

Over 40,000 Tickets Sold on Record-Breaking First Day of UFC 129 Sales

A UFC 129 sellout at the Rogers Centre in Toronto is virtually assured after fans snapped up over 40,000 tickets in the first day of pre-sales to UFC Fight Club members.

UFC Director of Canadian operations Tom Wright told MMA Fighting that within 6-7 minutes of the box office opening, more seats had been added to meet the demand, and within an hour, available tickets were down to single seats.
The number of tickets sold has already shattered the the current paid North American MMA attendance record, which was just set at UFC 124 in Montreal, when 23,152 filled the Bell Centre.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/02/10/over-40-000-tickets-sold-on-first-day-of-ufc-129-sales/

That dont mean much..half of them could be like me that dont care much, but would watch the final, just like a bunch of my friends that again dont care much about hockey and the NHL during the season but are interested when the playoff finals arrive. Really, how many die-hard fans are there for the CFL season games here in Canada

Same witht the superbowl. (I watched for the game though)

That says it all, here is a leauge that does not even have a Canadian franchise, and is attracting a higher television viewer audience...I say bring in a NFL team and viewer audience doubles.

Of course the NFL can survive here. The market is here. So is the corporate support. The question is can we get a stadium?

Like it or not, Toronto is a big leauge sports hungry market..bring in the big names and people will come.:)

A UFC 129 sellout at the Rogers Centre in Toronto is virtually assured after fans snapped up over 40,000 tickets in the first day of pre-sales to UFC Fight Club members.

UFC Director of Canadian operations Tom Wright told MMA Fighting that within 6-7 minutes of the box office opening, more seats had been added to meet the demand, and within an hour, available tickets were down to single seats.
The number of tickets sold has already shattered the the current paid North American MMA attendance record, which was just set at UFC 124 in Montreal, when 23,152 filled the Bell Centre.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/02/10/over-40-000-tickets-sold-on-first-day-of-ufc-129-sales/
Great News.

What is forgotten in all of this is that an NFL could increase the amount of US tourists.

And probably the kinds of ugly-trash tourists that we need less of, not more of--the kinds who make Rob + Doug Ford look like the Kielburgers...

I'm not really familiar with UFC. Is it really a sport, or is it like wrestling where it isn't a sport, and is a scripted drama?

You have lost me there.....but are you making an argument for the popularity of the CFL all of a sudden. I can tell you that outside of NHL hockey, I would be surprised if any other sport has a popularity rating of 50% of all canadians!

EDIT/ADDITION if 50% of Canadians like the CFL it is very hard to think they achieve that without some high level of popularity in Ontario....since Ontario makes up nearly 1/3 of the nation's population.

Hahaha...More like 10%-15% follow the CFL..5 million if your lucky

Did you just edit quotes to make it look like I was arguing with AG that the CFL had a popularity of 50%? Why would you do that? My discussion about 50% popularity was with someone else (after they raised it) and I was questioning it....I have multi-quoted the relevant posts for clarity......if you are going to quote me please either quote me in totality or point out that you have edited my quote.....why would you do this? Have I spat on your shoes or something?

Which would 18.2%. You say 50%, he says 10%-15% ... not sure how your data does anything other than support Mr. Gallery's case.

And probably the kinds of ugly-trash tourists that we need less of, not more of--the kinds who make Rob + Doug Ford look like the Kielburgers...

I didn't realize Toronto could afford to turn away any tourists. I don't know of any place that would rather not have tourists and the revenue they bring.

Not that I think the NFL would bring American tourists. I just get tired of knee-jerk anti-Americanism that's all too common in this country.

Back