News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Not that I am defending what adma said but...
I don't think that was an anti-American statement. It was a statement that implied that travelling fans of NFL football might be hicks.

NFL football can't be any worse than NHL hockey in that respect. At least there are a lot of black and other minority players in the NFL. NHL not so much.

So yeah... adma is wrong.

I never said what adma said was correct or smart. I said he wasn't making an anti-American statement to correct someone saying that they don't like knee-jerk anti-American talk.

Last edited:
Hmm. We have our fair share of hicks in Canada too. Been to a Blue Jays game lately? Albeit, tailgate parties are the hickest hick thing that ever hicked.

Because you have 100% proof of this right GenW? Post your stuff here in public, don't hide. And we all know what region of the country those 18-34 year olds come from because, its not here.
Actually, we do know. They come from all over the country. Argo-Ticat games should do horrible ratings according to your theory, but they don't.

And by the way, we also know that regular season CFL ratings on TSN are higher on a per-game basis than the NHL AND the NFL on TSN. Extrapolating your logic, I guess that means hockey isn't that popular in Western Canada (which would be news to them).

If the CFL is as strong as you say then it should have no problem with competition. And even then, you cannot force people to watch the CFL.
I'm not forcing people to watch anything.

I agree about the Leafs . Hockey is too expensive now.
I wasn't talking about them. The Leafs are the one Toronto team which, by far, has the fewest worries, demographic or otherwise.

They are. The Sudden 5 year popularity of the CFL is becaus of rise in Viewership in Western Canada and great marketing by TSN. The Grey Cup will still never be on CTV though. Only 49% percent of the country likes the CFL. Just under half. That means 16 million people do not care, with most of those not caring for sports in the first place.
It doesn't have to be on CTV. CTV can have it's cake and eat it too by keeping the Grey Cup on TSN cable and letting CTV show a new episode of Desperate Housewives for the people who don't care about sports. There's no new episode airing against the Super Bowl for CTV to worry about.

You're also arguing against yourself. If you eliminate people who don't care about sports (and believe it or not there are also plenty of them in Western Canada), then that makes the ratings for the Grey Cup, and the Super Bowl, and any game, look more impressive.

Of course some ontarians watced, but the CFL is not number 1 here. 90% viewership out west is what did it. I believe almost everyone out west watched last years cup, thats alot of people.
Let me get this straight: You are actually trying to make the case that 90% of people in the West watched the Grey Cup.

I didn't know it was possible for someone to put their foot that far into their mouth.

Thats right, and it was still less the the so called boring superbowl.
You thought this year's Super Bowl was boring? Gee, I didn't think so!

That dont mean much..half of them could be like me that dont care much, but would watch the final, just like a bunch of my friends that again dont care much about hockey and the NHL during the season but are interested when the playoff finals arrive. Really, how many die-hard fans are there for the CFL season games here in Canada
As noted above, the CFL does better than the NHL AND the NFL during regular season TSN games. That indicates that the Super Bowl is such a massive cultural phenomena in North America that it attracts people who completely avoid the NFL during the regular season.

Like it or not, Toronto is a big leauge sports hungry market..bring in the big names and people will come.:)

Over 40,000 Tickets Sold on Record-Breaking First Day of UFC 129 Sales

A UFC 129 sellout at the Rogers Centre in Toronto is virtually assured after fans snapped up over 40,000 tickets in the first day of pre-sales to UFC Fight Club members.

UFC Director of Canadian operations Tom Wright told MMA Fighting that within 6-7 minutes of the box office opening, more seats had been added to meet the demand, and within an hour, available tickets were down to single seats.
So why has the big name of the NFL and regular season games in Toronto for the first time resulted in lethargic and extremely disappointing ticket sales? It's not comparing apples to apples, but I bet it took Rogers months to sell what MMA sold in a day. And MMA won't have to introduce "new ticket prices" like Rogers did.

I guess Toronto isn't always hungry.

I'm not really familiar with UFC. Is it really a sport, or is it like wrestling where it isn't a sport, and is a scripted drama?
No one knows for sure. The UFC head rules it with an iron fist, and some think he occasionally pulls strings for financial/marketing effect.

all pro sports are for cavemen... and hicks. The future is about cooperation, not competition. Pro sports keeps the out of date myth of human competetion alive. I say screw it and lets build more museums!

Just enough competition drives innovation, though.

Too much cooperation, and we may fall into the trap of complacency.

Sometimes investment in stadiums pays of. The city contributed $9 million......for that they got ownership of a stadium that cost $63 million so not a bad return.....3 years later it was upgraded at. Cost of $5.5 million totally contributed by MLSE......and in he 4 operating years since construction the city has received profit sharing cheques totaling $1.2million......that is a rate of nearly 3.5% without even considering the economic activity generated and the resultant taxes.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/February2011/23/c5131.html

Stadiums and Monorails..:cool: Wooh, that would piss-off a lot of people..
Hey, its an all good vision from Dougie.:D

Doug Ford sees stadium in waterfront’s future

Doug Ford has a vision: a football stadium on the waterfront. He says the NFL stadium might be built on the site of the abandoned Hearn generating plant in the underdeveloped Portlands.

The stadium would be the anchor for a massive redevelopment of the Portlands that would “turn this dump site into a wow factor.†It would include dramatically designed residential buildings and high-end retailers such as Macy’s department store. A monorail elevated transit system would link it to downtown.

A local developer came up with the idea of building a monorail “that would go along the lakefront and also scoop down to the Portlands and circle around.†Both the monorail and the stadium would pay for themselves “through the private sector,

Mr. Ford wants things to happen faster – big things. He talks about making the waterfront a true destination, with attractions like the giant London Eye Ferris wheel and dramatic buildings like the curvy “Marilyn Monroe†condominium in Mississauga – not just “square glass condominiums.â€

He says that when he brings U.S. visitors to Toronto, they tell him, “Doug, you’ve got a beautiful, clean city but there’s nothing to do here.â€

“Well,†he tells them, “there’s going to be something to do.â€

More...http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...stadium-in-waterfronts-future/article1987941/

Stadiums and Monorails..:cool: Wooh, that would piss-off a lot of people..
Hey, its an all good vision from Dougie.:D

Doug Ford sees stadium in waterfront’s future

Doug Ford has a vision: a football stadium on the waterfront. He says the NFL stadium might be built on the site of the abandoned Hearn generating plant in the underdeveloped Portlands.

The stadium would be the anchor for a massive redevelopment of the Portlands that would “turn this dump site into a wow factor.” It would include dramatically designed residential buildings and high-end retailers such as Macy’s department store. A monorail elevated transit system would link it to downtown.

A local developer came up with the idea of building a monorail “that would go along the lakefront and also scoop down to the Portlands and circle around.” Both the monorail and the stadium would pay for themselves “through the private sector,

Mr. Ford wants things to happen faster – big things. He talks about making the waterfront a true destination, with attractions like the giant London Eye Ferris wheel and dramatic buildings like the curvy “Marilyn Monroe” condominium in Mississauga – not just “square glass condominiums.”

He says that when he brings U.S. visitors to Toronto, they tell him, “Doug, you’ve got a beautiful, clean city but there’s nothing to do here.”

“Well,” he tells them, “there’s going to be something to do.”

More...http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...stadium-in-waterfronts-future/article1987941/

There's nothing to do in Doug Ford's ward, you mean. It's almost all freeways, hotels, and the Woodbine racetrack.

Last edited:
I dont like the idea of building a football stadium for 8 games a year at the waterfront. It just seems like a waste of valuable land for something not used very often... Especially being built from scratch.. That being said I would be ok if the Jays built a new stadium there... and the Dome was retrofitted to fit in extra seats (removal of skydome hotel) and then it be used as a NFL stadium.... The jays Dont need a 55000 seat stadium they need a 35,000 seat stadium... So it would make sense for both teams...

Back