News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

from today's Daily Commercial News, posted with the usual caveat....

STADIUM Proj: 9135077-1
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON CONTEMPLATED
RL Hearn site, Portlands, M5V
$50,000,000 est

Note: This project is extremely preliminary. The site selection is ongoing. How an architect will be secured is undetermined. Schedules for design, tender and construction have not been set. Further update winter 2011.

Project: proposed construction of a NFL stadium on the site of the abandoned RL Hearn generating plant in the Portlands on Toronto's Waterfront. The project would include demolition of the existing building and reuse of some of the existing foundation.

Development: New
Category: Recreational bldgs
Owner's representative Complete information is available to subscribers. Click HERE to find out how to subscribe.
This report Wed Apr 27, 2011.

$50,000,000 would get you the equivalent of the John Labatt Centre in London... so unless this is a 9,000 seat Arena football league stadium, then ya that number is missing another zero.

wasnt the dallas cowboys stadium and the new NY giants and NY jets stadium both cost 1,000,000,000. Fifty Million is nothing stadium wise... ACC was 200 million to make a decade ago and that only seats 20,000. A NFL stadium would need to seat at least 60,000... This 50,000,000 number makes sense for a bigger TFC field not a NFL stadium.

The 50 million bucks is most likely to secure the property with the demolition of the Hearn plant and the start-up of a foundation..the build is another phase and price-tag .

Last edited:
The more i see this area the more i think this is a great location for an NFL/Olympic stadium..its in the middle of nowhere and yet still in the core of the city. It would definitely kick-start some exciting development of that No man's land..:)

It also could even become a nice addition to its neighbouring..Portlands Energy Centre
http://www.portlandsenergycentre.com/newsroom-photos.html#thumb

The more i see this area the more i think this is a great location for an NFL/Olympic stadium..its in the middle of nowhere and yet still in the core of the city. It would definitely kick-start some exciting development of that No man's land..:)
The only reason it's a great location is a developer who donated a lot of money to the Fords has the development rights to Hearn.

The Fords need to be booted out and put in jail where they belong.

The only reason it's a great location is a developer who donated a lot of money to the Fords has the development rights to Hearn.

The Fords need to be booted out and put in jail where they belong.

Hahaha, holy shit..where the heck did you get that evidence...you need a lot more than donated cash from a fantasy developer to boot a couple people out of a government job, and for pete's sake put them both in jail where they belong. My oh my, nfitz...where are you coming from.:eek:

Ya, we don't need an NHL team either like those other great cities of Buffalo and Detroit.
The point was that the Fords don't think Toronto can be a great North American city without an NFL team. Which is utterly ridiculous, seeing as there's only one country in North America that has ever had NFL teams. I guess according to the Fords, no city in Canada, Central America, or the Caribbean can ever be great.

The Leafs also play in the New York Based NHL. The Jays play in the New York based MLB. How is the NFL any different?

And what the hell is wrong with either of those cities? People live there. Don't be such a snob all the time.
The NHL started in Canada and has always had a major Canadian presence. The difference is obvious. And while baseball is a lot more comparable to a fictional Toronto NFL team, there's no Canadian baseball league that MLB would compete with. MLB wasn't risking shooting itself in the foot by expanding to Canada like the NFL would be.

And if you can't see what's wrong with Detroit and Buffalo then you've clearly got blinders on.

Hahaha, holy shit..where the heck did you get that evidence...you need a lot more than donated cash from a fantasy developer to boot a couple people out of a government job, and for pete's sake put them both in jail where they belong. My oh my, nfitz...where are you coming from.:eek:

He's not lying. The land does belong to a developer that gave huge amounts of money to the Ford campaign.

But then, I'm always surprised when Ford supporters feign surprise that their gravy train messiah is a corrupt pig (one that is completely transparent about his corruption too).

An NFL franchise will be disastrous for the city and make no mistake taxpayers will be left holding the bag for this potential debacle. Wealthy people are notoriously stingy about losing their own money in gambling situations. And you know what the pitch will be from the Mayor's office? "Well you fine citizens wanted this NFL team so now you're going to have to pay for it". If anything before one move occurs there should be a plebiscite.

Last edited:
^^ $30,000! I thought there was a limit on what people could donate? Nobody gives that kind of money without expecting some kind of pay back. Seems like he might be getting a big pay back.

Much as I like to throw mud at the Fords as much as anyone...

... there's a heroic leap being taken by Mr. Lorinc in this particular article. Corus Quay is up for sale, because they can sell it at a substantial profit. Changing the rules to allow a sale of Corus seems, to my 'let's free up capital for new projects' right-of-center mindset, like a very good idea. But to say that the sale of Corus has anything to do with what may or may not happen at Hearn is breathtaking. Yes, Studios of America is trying to figure how to get Cortellucci out from under one of the biggest blunders of his development career. And he might even be successful in getting public money to develop that land into a store/stadium/condo/whatever. But that's got little or nothing to do with Corus, East Bayfront, Waterfront Toronto, or WDL for that matter.

I'm actually enjoying seeing the Fords/right in power. So far, they've got council to agree to privatizing garbage collection without much controversy, and when they float crappy ideas they raise blood pressures to the point that EVERYONE protests.

Contrast that to Mel: His administration was (theoretically) right of center, but it was mostly just incompetent and corrupt. With Ford, we may lose a few iconic bridges (which I lament), but we'll also get a few things that Miller would have done if he hadn't been beholden to the unions and left, like garbage privatization.

Last edited:

Back