News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

6 years ago the Miller administration forced out Richard Ducharme - who was a leftover from the Mel Lastman days. Different method, but same result. I guess all mayors act the same - get your people into power positions.

Ducharme publicly stated he was not going to renew his contract with the TTC. He was replaced shortly after he made that comment and it was 4 months prior to contract renewal.

I think you will find that this pattern is true at any large company as well where the CEO expresses an interest to move-on, their departure is fast-tracked.

Reading Royson James' article on this (http://www.thestar.com/iphone/Top Stories/article/1133449) I'm thinking there is some backroom dealings going on here. Ford may have an ideology behind his decision making, but this just doesn't quite fit.

First, it continues to go against any sense of fiscal responsibility he might have. Conservatives will go against their fiscal responsibility senses if there is an ulterior motive.

Second if he wants to ensure a smooth and fast connection between North York and Scarborough, there are several other options available such as removing stops and running above grade. Even his views on transit running with cars doesn't jive, as he agreed to giving buses on Finch their own lanes.

I'm thinking there is a Watergate like scandal going on behind the scenes...

I'm thinking there is some backroom dealings going on here.

+1. I thought it was odd that during the special council meeting on transit, Doug Ford' said there were "special interests" at work. He suspects special interests working against subways. I think it's just as likely there are unseen interests driving the Fords' ideology.

Does anyone know if there has been any talk of having another emergency meeting at council to somehow prevent the firing of Gary Webster. It would be outrageous if Council allows the mayor to spend more then $500,000 of taxpayers money just so he could get another lapdog.

Last edited:
Is this special meeting at the TTC headquarters or will it be at City Hall for the public to go and see.

Here is the info on the meeting from TTC website:

Meeting No. 1944
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
2:00 PM

Committee Room 2
Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West

(Public meeting to commence at 2:00 p.m. to deal with Declarations of Interest and a resolution to conduct a portion of the meeting in the absence of the public. The Commission will immediately meet in the absence of the public (referred to as “Committee of the Whole”) to deal with Confidential Items and will reconvene the portion of the meeting open to the public at approximately 3:00 p.m.)

There's two aspect to this. One is firing Webster. Unfortunate, and undeserved, and a completely despicable act. But I'm actually more concerned about who would replace him. Presumably they have someone in mind, and I wonder if they would actually try and put them in place on Tuesday.

My Concern is that this would politicise the city bureaucracy and intimidate them into telling Ford whatever he wants to hear and supporting his brain dead ideological schemes.

If there was ever a time for city council to take over and replace his entire executive committee, that time is now.

Last edited:
There's two aspect to this. One is firing Webster. Unfortunate, and undeserved
Political agendas aside, has Webster been an excellent manager of the TTC? Under his leadership were projects completed on time and on budget? Was the St. Clair ROW for instance completed on time and budget?

Political agendas aside, has Webster been an excellent manager of the TTC? Under his leadership were projects completed on time and on budget? Was the St. Clair ROW for instance completed on time and budget?

The general consensus appears to be that he's done a good job and that his level of expertise and experience will be very difficult to replace.

I'd also imagine that the TTC/city's ability to attract anyone who is good and qualified will be very difficult given how they've treated Webster.

The TTC work on the St. Clair ROW was completed on budget. There were time delays because a corrupt judge (who was later fired) issued an injunction to stop work.

Webster confirmed to City Council that the TTC work was completed on budget at the recent meeting on the Sheppard subway. Not one councillor challenged him on this. What went over budget was the ancillary add-on work that council insisted on tacking onto the project, after it was initially approved. Particularly Toronto Hydro's work.

As I said thought, I'm more concerned with who they'd be installing to replace him (presumably on a temporary basis).

Projects within his control have been more-or-less on time/budget. St. Clair was stick handled by city council and the court system and involved numerous other city departments (legal and Toronto Hydro being two obvious unexpected additions) as a result.

It's hard to fault a person for delays they have zero authority over.

Back