News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I nominate you to organize and lead these meetings. :)

In the past its been hard to get 10 members together for a pub meet.

:confused: Ugh, I thought you guys (mods, admin, that's you and some veterans here) would be responsible for these things... but ME?!!? :eek: I'm just the new kid here! Suggesting new ideas...

Then again, I could bring some friends into Urban Toronto, and that adds little difference.

Anyways, 10 or more members are surprisingly good for such meetings nowadays...

In the meantime, time for more venturing until the time is right...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

While posting some of my ideal kitchens etc the past few days and then seeing the increase in floor plan critiques, queries about furniture etc I have an idea: An interior design/design section.

OOH, new designs! MUS C MOR O' DEM! (yes I'm a design student)

This could be used as sub-forum under Buildings, Architecture and Urban Design, as it is related closely to it.

Last edited:
Personal responsibility, accountability and reputation

1 - Thumbs Up/Down for individual posts. Text gets lighter with more Thumbs Down. This kind of karma system helps to highlight the relevant and informative posts and keep the rants, trolling, arguments out of the field of view.

2 - Implement Facebook Connect. This links users to their real world personas. When you take out the anonymity factor from a Forum, the members tend to act courteously like they would in the real world hence they behave and take responsibility for their comments.
2b - Facebook Connect will help with propagating UT's name by allowing auto-sharing of posts to user's Facebook wall.

3 - The Rendering forum doesn't work. Simply add all the renderings and pertinent info regarding a project to the top of the first post in that thread.

Is there a way to upgrade the ignore functionality so that replies to ignored users are also ignored? Like, I threw Dugmor on ignore because everything he posts is inane, and it helps, but then every time he posts he'll have half a dozen people reply+quote his post so I still end up having to sift through it.

No, unfortunately. I don't think I've ever seen that on any forum software ever, in all my years of using forums. It's best to complain about a member to the mods, and put them on ignore. Enough complaints about one person, and bye bye. Assuming the complaints are legit.

It would be good if 'multi-building' projects (e,g. East Bayfront and City Place) could be brought together in some sort of "index" so that one could go to the top thread to see an overview, general site plans, renders of whole project etc and then drill down to individual buildings with their plans, renders, rants etc. This might be something to try to add to any site redesign?

Last edited:
One word replies to topics need to be deleted and members who do this warned and eventually removed for repeated one word posts.

Posts like: "lol" or "awesome" or "sweet", add nothing to a topic, and don't really need to be posted.

Also VB4 is now available, here are some screenshots

hnbt.png

forumbits.png

threadbits.png

quicknav-open.png

forum-info-options.png

I can't avoid the sense that we've lost something on this board over the years. It could just be me, but the signal-to-noise ratio seems to have dropped precipitously recently. There's a culture on this board that encourages people to post something when you've got nothing to say. The sad result is that people who actually *do* have something to say wind up posting nothing.

There are a handful of truly knowledgeable people who keep posting here, and for that I'm grateful. What we need to be thinking about isn't new features or software, but how to make this a place that encourages enthusiasts - and enthusiasm - but doesn't so reliably drive away those who might be interested in a better conversation.

I agree.

And on a kinda related topic: I am coming across as a broken record, but there has to be a clearer way to keep the real estate posts ("when is your PDI", "do you think this is a good area to invest in?" "my furnace is so loud") out of the development threads. Again, I suggest something in bold text at the top of the 'developments' threat to warn against such posts.

But again, great site and great work by those who put in the effort of keeping this active.

Is there software that can detect words, so when someone tries to post "PDI" in P&C, it would automatically move the post to real estate section?

If not, I need a VC to market my idea.:D

Doubtful. However, you can probably ban some words from being posted on the forum. Maybe that might be forum wide only though, not specific forums.

For some reason, I find that even though I'm logged into Urban Toronto with a cookie, if I arrive from Google, I'm logged out. But then if I type in the web address right after, it loads Urban Toronto with my account. Hopefully that can be fixed.

Did you double check the address bar?
See if the address after arriving from google has no www in front of the address or if it does. And compare that to the address you're using to access the site yourself.

Thanks, khristopher. It turns out that I always type in urbantoronto.ca, but Google always adds the www . I'll start adding the www to the address.

Back