News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

As has been addressed by others, one of the best features of the boards are the members (who provide useful, fun and enthusiastic) feedback. I support a change that enhances the user profile and personal contribution to the site, so that users have the ability to blog, post their own photo stream and reply with comments to other members outside of the traditional thread method.

It might also be interesting to collaborate more with Spacing's site, adding a forum that links their unique outlook with our ability to comment and generate discussion.

UrbanToronto could position itself as an urban-minded think tank and resource for decision-makers when it comes to how this city and region is built. For example, the board successfully argued against the Ontario Safety League's inane objection to the wavedecks. But that pile-on was fairly contained to the wavedeck thread. We could have been more vocal and viral had the forum been revamped to make the discussion more prominent on the boards, the threads be tagged and the info be spread to other sites (facebook, twitter, etc). Toronto has a lot of exciting milestones ahead, including the G 20, 2010 Mayoral election, provincial 2011 election and the 2015 Pan Am Games. We could use this forum and the urban point-of-view to better demonstrate different considerations. I'm not exactly sure how this could be done, but user blogs and an area to discuss city-building (as a whole) might be a good place to start.

Also, didn’t the old UrbanToronto have a live chatroom? Could this be re-explored?

UrbanToronto could position itself as an urban-minded think tank and resource for decision-makers when it comes to how this city and region is built.

To piggy-back on this idea somewhat, I was thinking that it would be great if UT had an "Urban Toronto Residents Association" that lobbied much like a neighbourhood association. I would be very glad to be involved with this.

Sorry for the rant/sidebar: after attending a handful of Annex Residents Association meetings (I was the youngest person there (late-20s) and was probably the only renter) it became quite clear that myself and my idea were not wanted. This was extremely frustrating, especially as I really wanted to be involved in my community. I since found this board where the community I want to be a part of exists.

I think a lot of people on the board share similar interests and it would be interesting to get a group together to lobby and work on making sure sites achieve the collective goals of posters on the UT Board, or as hypnotoad mentioned, to lobby against things like the OSL and the wavedecks. Strength in numbers!

Ideas for forum changes:

-Add some easy/simple links to other urban-like forums like mtlurb or skyscrapercity

-Merge the Renderings section with the Projects and Construction section, I really don't see the reason for that section to be separate at all.

-Maybe add a fantasy/ideas section to put all the fun, theoretical stuff away from things already decided. A place to put designs/proposals for a building that'd be cool to put in this certain location, how a neighborhood should be, how the future of Toronto/Canada/the World should be, etc. It'd both be a welcome addition to creativity and making new ideas while giving a home to threads that would belong in the Projects and Construction, Toronto Issues, Buildings, Architecture & Urban Design, or would otherwise clutter them up with theoretical discussion.

Forum Maintenance Shut Down Coming
Hey all,

We are going to be shutting down the forum starting sometime on Sunday January 17/Monday January for 3 or 4 days. Don't panic! Buy some wobbly pops, get some donuts or better yet go for a walk with your camera (photo updates have been a little weak recently). For those that really need it I will be giving status updates via twitter (http://twitter.com/Urban_Toronto) and facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2245679301).

Rest assured Urban Toronto will be back bigger and better than ever once this is done.

Thanks
Ed (Ed007Toronto) & The Mods

I'm not sure if I'm too late on this, as I know it's happening this weekend, but I'd love for the search functionality to be improved.

Right now, if you're searching for a building that has a name with three letters (Fly, Zed, Dia, DNA etc.), it is impossible to search for it through the forum. it says you've used too few letters for your search.

What I always end up doing is just searching through google, but I'm not sure if every post is actually shown, plus it is much more poorly organized. Please fix this if possible. Thanks.

Back